Would you swap?

Jimowl

Reaction score
I have an S3 Sportback lease on order which has been massively delayed (ordered March, due for delivery in jan16 - see other thread). Spec is:

Sepang blue
Comfort pack
Front & rear park
Interior light pack
Folding mirrors
SD sat nav

I can swap into a 'it's built and on the way to the dealer' :

Saloon S3
Glacier white
19" 5 arm wheels
LED headlights
Park with park assist
Comfort pack
SD sat nav
Folding heated mirrors
Privacy glass

What do folk reckon? Unsure on colour (I'll try to go see one) - does it pop & shine?

Interior light pack missing - will I miss it?

It is more money but that's not really a concern.

How (other than shape) does the saloon differ from the SB?

Appreciate feedback. Ta.

Spec wise you gain park assist, LED headlamps, 19s and of course mag ride which is standard on the saloon. Colour wise white looks good on the S/B but not seen a white saloon before so will be pretty rare - does it have the black pack ?

Biggest question is can you live with the practicalities of not having a hatch and moving to a boot ? - what were the factors in deciding to go for the S/B in the first instance ?

Glacier really pops in the sun - for a white car! When clean and waxed the pearl in the paint sparkles. I love mine!

Reactions: Blackwhite
Have you thought about trying a different lease company? if evryone else is waiting 3-4 months max for a sportback why does yours have such a big delay?

I have a sportback in sepang blue on order also and i personaly wouldnt change to any other colour as i have my heart set on it. I think it helps differentiate the car more from a3s also. And i would only have the sportback. I dont like the looks of the saloon or the hatchback.

Your spending alot of money so make sure your happy and when you have it delivered dont regret it. Especialy seeing the colour/shape you originaly wanted.

If the practicalities of the shape are OK with I would go for it. Is the transmission the same? That's probably more important than ILP. I have that, it's nice but wouldn't say it's the most important feature.

Swap it, no question ..

For me it's a better spec, the saloon is the pic of the S3 bunch looks wise (I have a Sportback so I'm not biased), you get the mag ride which will help sort the pogo/floaty ride, and Sepang is now the default colour for any S model. A non Sepang will actually be a rarer car :happy:

If you can cope with the less practical boot opening then I think it's a no brainer :yes:

I don't understand why they are quoting a delivery of January '16? You could cancel and reorder and probably get one exactly as you want for early October.

Saloon looks a decent spec.

Thanks folks. Originally ordered the hatch as that is my default setting. I probably didn't consider the saloon because it was more money. I didn't realise about mag ride - does it make a big difference?

I agree about the saloon spec - it looks good. In pictures the colour looks good when clean but i'm going to have to see it in the flesh. My existing car is a flat, non metallic white and the wife's new Touareg will be delivered next tuesday in white. I have to say the park assist thing looks freaky and pretty cool? Shame it doesn't have black pack as it makes a big difference - I think I'd be much quicker to say yes. Also I'm not sure on the interior yet.

As to why mine is taking so long? You tell me. Audi are a disgrace in my opinion. The only thing customer services has said is 'we have a backlog'. So explain how literally hundreds have ordered since me and are in the queue before me? 'errrr, I don't know'. In fact, their response is so pathetic I am also investigating a Golf R (just so much to add:blink:). But my heart is set on the S3.

Waiting on an update from Audi customer service tomorrow - I feel like giving them both barrels! Can I 'escalate' my complaint does anyone know?

In a heartbeat - the saloon looks really good in white on 19s.

Reactions: Pulp84 and Blackwhite
As to why mine is taking so long? You tell me. Audi are a disgrace in my opinion. The only thing customer services has said is 'we have a backlog'. So explain how literally hundreds have ordered since me and are in the queue before me? 'errrr, I don't know'. In fact, their response is so pathetic I am also investigating a Golf R (just so much to add:blink:). But my heart is set on the S3.

Waiting on an update from Audi customer service tomorrow - I feel like giving them both barrels! Can I 'escalate' my complaint does anyone know?

I wonder if the key could be that you are getting it from a lease company? Are they bottom of the list. Not sure why they would be though.
Your wait makes even my 30 weeks last year look quick!!

Audi have admitted its an all round balls up. But in the next breath have shrugged their shoulders and said there's nothing they can do. They told me today week 49 build, though it still isn't even on myaudi.

Three options still exist:

1. They agree to a short term (5-6 months) demo for me (which I will pay for). I get my car (hopefully) in jam 16.

2. I go with the saloon and get it on time. Not sure - one minute it's a great idea, next I'm not sure. It's £70 pcm more. Glacier white - hmm. Would be so much better with pano roof and black pack. I do like it though.

3. (Don't throw stones) I can get a Golf R, 5 door, DSG, lapiz blue, black leather, 19" pretorias, pano roof, winter pack, pro nav, privacy glass. On my drive in 4 weeks. About the same money as the saloon but only on a 2 year lease.

Grrrr.

I woulspd have thought they could do something to get it earlier - like use a dealer slot or something.
It sounds like you really want the car you specced, so I would go for the 6 month demo option I think. Then you get something nice to drive whilst you wait.
MyAudi gets the details from the VIN, which is not created until build week.

Do you need the hatchback boot

Do you like glacier enough ?

If you want a sunroof, which I love myself, then go for the golf

The spec on that golf sounds unreal for a lease, if its true take it, but you might cry when you have to hand it back after 2 years !

I looked into leasing and the extras were very minimal. No sunroofs, satnav etc etc

So, decision made. Swapped to the saloon. Delivery between 25-28 August - going on a private plate so no issue with the date.

Only slight concern is as I didn't order it, the spec might end up different from what's listed.

T
So, decision made. Swapped to the saloon. Delivery between 25-28 August - going on a private plate so no issue with the date.

Only slight concern is as I didn't order it, the spec might end up different from what's listed.
The spec is locked down in Audi's systems. This can be verified.

Would have gone the Golf route personally.................

Golf nah...... i have come from A MK7 GTD, build quality was shocking. is this delay due to this fire? how much more are they asking for the saloon?

the saloon will cost me £50 pcm more than my ordered SB. In the end I was seduced by the saloon - i've yet to see one on the road

near me.

I've also opted for full maintenance for £36 per month. Over 35 months that's £1260. It (appears!) to cover all servicing AND TYRES.

I reckon that the 19's will be c£150 per corner and want changing 2-3 times over 45,000 miles?

Well, it doesn't show up on my audi but i figure that's because it's a lease?

A call to Audi customer service has confirmed that:

1. It's from Brighton Audi
2. It's 'at Emden' ????
3. It has B&O which I was unaware of - all the other options were as described to me. Nice Brucey bonus!

Reactions: Simon L
Well, it doesn't show up on my audi but i figure that's because it's a lease?

A call to Audi customer service has confirmed that:

1. It's from Brighton Audi
2. It's 'at Emden' ????
3. It has B&O which I was unaware of - all the other options were as described to me. Nice Brucey bonus!

.......ahhh, finally someone from my neck of the woods!! I haven't seen an S3 saloon outside of a dealer either ..........suits me ;)

Emden is the port. So it will be on the ferry in a few days. If it's going to Brighton the ship will go to a Thames port - can't remember which!!