S4 experience

reformedniceguy

Reaction score
Long-term lurker here, looking for inspirational words of wisdom!

I've been looking at S4 avants for ages now. These cars appear to me to have everything - subtlety, power, comfort and practicality. And now that my annual mileage has dropped from nearly 50k to about 20k I think I need, and I mean really really need, an S4 in my life.

I'll be looking for a used model, 2010 onwards, and I think the drive select/quattro differential option is essential but can I ask this: when in the 'comfort' setting how does the suspension compare to the standard suspension I have on my 2012 A4 avant s-line black edition? The answer to this question has consequences regarding the wife's approval for purchase!

My other question is this: do the S4 owners on here 'love' their cars? I ask because before my A4 I had an S3 black edition which was fast, had decent mpg, excellent kit, looked good I thought but I just never really liked it all that much. Before the S3 I had a Golf GT tdi (the 170ps version) and I did like that one - didn't even have cruise control but I had it for 154k miles from new and despite the DPF problems and a couple of other out-of-warranty headaches really enjoyed driving it and just owning it right up until the trade in for the S3.

Apologies if I could have found out this info by searching the forums a bit better, but thanks in advance!

Glenn

What comfort does will depend on how specd out the S4 is. If you have damper control, dynamic steering and sports diff then it changes the car a lot. If you don't have those it will do less.

Comfort puts the gearbox/engine in auto/balanced mode, suspension soft and steering light. Popping into dynamic changes the car to stiff and firm ride, heavy progressive steering and performance engine.....holding the gears longer and keeping in the power band.

Gives you 2 totally different cars. I have it in comfort with the kids and wife in the car and it's a wonderful cruiser, really comfortable. With full ADS I have everything set to dynamic with the engine in auto most of the time as I prefer the sportier feel, it's a really big difference.

Do I love my car? Yes. I have no plans to ever change it and when my family are in bed I regularly make love to it. Never once does it fail to make me smile when I floor it.

Reactions: Chop., razza1, skiptowncat and 3 others
Hi Glenn,
Here are some inspirational words in reply….:)

I've lost fillings through my experiences of standard 'S-Line' suspension in the past so to have the option of comfort mode is a breath of fresh air, for me its 'just right' as a comfortable option particularly for cruising / longer journeys - my passengers (inc. my wife) are much happier.

Do I love my car..???
…I Luuurrrrrvvvve my car!!!! S4's tick so many boxes, they're quick but are great for cruising, they can snarl but can be sedate and refined, its a great load carrier (Ive taken a fridge to the dump) the S-Tronic box is frankly harmonious with the supercharged V6 and then there's the exhaust farts…..Oh, those wonderful exhaust farts……hmmmmmmm.

Be prepared for lots of forum members to show their love of their S4's on this thread.:yes:

(Hope that helps)

Reactions: Chop. and reformedniceguy
Long-term lurker here, looking for inspirational words of wisdom!

I've been looking at S4 avants for ages now. These cars appear to me to have everything - subtlety, power, comfort and practicality. And now that my annual mileage has dropped from nearly 50k to about 20k I think I need, and I mean really really need, an S4 in my life.

I'll be looking for a used model, 2010 onwards, and I think the drive select/quattro differential option is essential but can I ask this: when in the 'comfort' setting how does the suspension compare to the standard suspension I have on my 2012 A4 avant s-line black edition? The answer to this question has consequences regarding the wife's approval for purchase!

My other question is this: do the S4 owners on here 'love' their cars? I ask because before my A4 I had an S3 black edition which was fast, had decent mpg, excellent kit, looked good I thought but I just never really liked it all that much. Before the S3 I had a Golf GT tdi (the 170ps version) and I did like that one - didn't even have cruise control but I had it for 154k miles from new and despite the DPF problems and a couple of other out-of-warranty headaches really enjoyed driving it and just owning it right up until the trade in for the S3.

Apologies if I could have found out this info by searching the forums a bit better, but thanks in advance!

Glenn
@reformedniceguy - Hi & welcome to ASN Glenn
1sm084thumbsup.gif

Some of my thoughts on the drive select mode's from my S4 thread -
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-saloon-my-thread.240456/page-10#post-2501683

Direct lift from the Owner's Manual on the ADS settings -

& yes I do love my S4! ;)

Reactions: reformedniceguy
I love my S4.It's comfortable & rapid when needed.
I have a 6MT mind & no sports diff,or adaptive suspension
I can easily get a little rear end action( :) ) if I try since having a thicker rear ARB fitted

Fabulous. Entirely what I hoped to hear.

Thanks for the inspirational words. David J, altogether too much detail but I'm certainly left in doubt as to how you feel about your car!

Now to find one...

And another here.Love my S4, it's a brilliant car. It just does everything well, from the comfy and refined cruiser, to the fire snorting tarmac terrorist.
Not sure I would get a fridge in the saloon though :)

I've been an S4 owner for seven days, and echo previous comments on its awesomeness.

Reactions: Phill_ and xpoweruk
I've had my S4 three months now, it is great, a lot quicker and more agile than the 3.0TDI I had previously, however, if I was doing 20k PA I think I would be considering going back to a 3.0 TDI. Not so much the cost of fuel but the smaller range and time wasted at filling stations. The S4 consumption seems to be governed far more by my right foot!

I've had my S4 three months now, it is great, a lot quicker and more agile than the 3.0TDI I had previously, however, if I was doing 20k PA I think I would be considering going back to a 3.0 TDI. Not so much the cost of fuel but the smaller range and time wasted at filling stations. The S4 consumption seems to be governed far more by my right foot!

I hear you, Gray S, obviously the cost of fuel is going to be significant but it's the tedious routine of finding petrol stations that could persuade me to stay with diesel. Head vs heart!

Well, I also came from a 3.0TDi, and whilst I was very fond of that car, no way would I go back.

Reactions: reformedniceguy, scotty76 and xpoweruk
I had a mk5 GTI which I loved - it did everything well and it had this jekly and hyde character about it.

Then I 'upgraded' to an S3. In almost every sense it was better than the GTI but the sum of the parts didn't add up - it had no soul, it was boring, it was just a fast machine.

Then I got my S4 - its the true successor to the GTI in the way that the S3 wasn't - its whatever you want it to be and its fun!

Reactions: Chop., reformedniceguy, TheFiftheElement and 3 others
Feeling the S4 love in this thread ! :)

Reactions: ERBY and Phill_
My thoughts are exactly the same as jdp1962 and GrayS. Came from the 3 ltr Tdi too. Super efficient. Super torquey. Especially when tuned. Drama? Very little. In comparison though when I kick over or boot the S4 it puts a silly grin on my face. I'm 3 yrs older than 1962. My hairs getting Gray. This is BY FAR the most fun I've had with a car. Get one!!

Reactions: Chop., Bristle Hound, reformedniceguy and 3 others
Good luck on finding a used S4 with the spec you want. Sports diff is very rare.

Well iv owned all sorts in my past, a 370bhp Evo, a BM 530d, X5 4ltr v8 the list goes on and without a doubt this is overall the best motor i have owned, stronic and drive select im never out of dynamic mode

its a school run, holiday away cruiser and an absolute hog if you want to open it up, very smooth power delivery due to the super charger and pulls like a train even the 19mpg is worth every penny

love my motor to bits and when i'm not working a can be found prowling the A1 looking for BMWs to destroy, my advice get one you wont be disapointed

Reactions: dosscross1
We have lots of used sedans here. From near new demonstrators all the way through to the V8s. Avants are like hens teeth though.