folks here is my boost sound

oldcar

Reaction score
Finally managed to get a video on my car 2001 s3 8L, but again its too bright...can not see the boostguage 100%, but take my word for it. My mechanic told me there is a cat in my car screaming..haaaaa. But could not find any leaks, can not smell anything inside the engine bay..vag shows no fault...idle smooth.... tell me what you think? Thanks

have you had it smoke tested? if it isn't a leak then it sounds like the bearings have gone to me.

Reactions: oldcar
If I were you first thing to check with that sound is turbo.

Havent watched the vid but if it sounds like a siren or is quite literally screaming on full chat then it is most likely turbo...

Did the mechanic not check for play in the turbo?

sounds like a leak to me, when it dumps when you lift off sound stops. When my turbo died you could hear it whining all the time even when lifting off and it spooled down. This was mine when it was turbo gone..

Did the mechanic not check for play in the turbo?
no, he didnot, he thought was a hole in the exhaust. But after I had a new sports exhaust done, the noise is still there, ONLY after 3000rpm, the sound goes away once you lift the throttle at any rpm-say 4,or 5000rpm..etc.

sounds like a leak to me, when it dumps when you lift off sound stops. When my turbo died you could hear it whining all the time even when lifting off and it spooled down. This was mine when it was turbo gone..

i listened to yours but lucky not the same..........I have to remove the front bumper this weekend to see any small cracks around the intercooler pipings............still a mystry......sounds like a supercharger right haaaaaaa

Thanks guys, I have found the hairpin leak by chance. It was brought from Creationsmotorsports on 18/11/13. Only had for just more than a year....very dissapointed. The crankhose berather-3way, you can still see the logo.
Hair pin leak

I would give them a call and explain, hopefully they will replace it for you....realistically it shouldn't have split so soon, considering its meant to be silicon.

I would give them a call and explain, hopefully they will replace it for you....realistically it shouldn't have split so soon, considering its meant to be silicon.
thanks man, I have emailed them. The hairpin is so small and very hard to see visually. The way I noticed was I have had cleaned the pipe two days ago. I am getting an oil smell after I opened the bonnet after each drive.-I can detect a small trace of oil smell. And I saw a very thin film of oil on the pipe. This is smaller than a drop of oil. Everyhwere else is dry except that breather pipe. I suppose when they made this 3 way pipe the joining is quite complete a slight oil or crease in the mould will cause this issue.

Its a pipe that is prone to damage over time, however just over a year is not 'over time' and its meant to be reinforced too, so should last even longer really.

DSC03376
View attachment 63375
thanks man, I have emailed them. The hairpin is so small and very hard to see visually. The way I noticed was I have had cleaned the pipe two days ago. I am getting an oil smell after I opened the bonnet after each drive.-I can detect a small trace of oil smell. And I saw a very thin film of oil on the pipe. This is smaller than a drop of oil. Everyhwere else is dry except that breather pipe. I suppose when they made this 3 way pipe the joining is quite complete a slight oil or crease in the mould will cause this issue.

View attachment 63375 Folks my latest trials, I have 2 oil catch can to pick from, I choose the one with glass window. I also repalced the crankcase breather with steel air joints. I will fix the top silicon kink with another joint tommorow. i deliberate use a semi clear silicon line at end of catch can, because I want to see if a "cleaner" air is coming out to prove the can can is working....View attachment 63374

DSC03377
any further improvement you can think of??/ thanks

Oil catch can is set inside the electrical fuse box on the firewall....I will try for one week and see what residue I get...
Yes, S2000 filter can go and retire......

Last edited:
You have a leak definately. Mine did that exact same thing when that silly silicone boost hose burst.

You have a leak definately. Mine did that exact same thing when that silly silicone boost hose burst.
i am still searching for that leak,,,,i reckon its right behind the turbo exhaust tube....

where was your exact leak location, mine might be the same spot/?thanks

The elbow from the turbo to the charge pipe had torn.
just checked today the elbow to the charge pipe near the firewall was fine. So swapped the diverted valve to see if it makes the same whistle,,,,yes it did. So this rules out elbow, and DV. The only place I have not checked is the front bumber bar...dam it..........the most fiddling place.....wait, I should do a detergent test on all the vac valves near the rockcover before the bumber bar....Any more suggestions guys?

Have you checked the manifold to turbo bolts? Mine came loose and it sounded like the car was squeaking. Heres how loose they were, turns out they weren't OEM bolts..

Have you checked the manifold to turbo bolts? Mine came loose and it sounded like the car was squeaking. Heres how loose they were, turns out they weren't OEM bolts..

THANKS MAN, I HAVE A LOOK TOMMOROW MORNING,,WHAT A CATCH,,,

Did you check the turbo?
Sounds like the turbo fail video
Karl, my video was a deliberate slow gear shift as I tried to capture the sound. But to be honest turbo still going well, no losing boost and no whistle sound once foot is off accelerator. Whistle only come son after 5 psi approx......
Well, if I need to check the turbo? How???beyound my ability Do I need to take it all out???/

Karl, my video was a deliberate slow gear shift as I tried to capture the sound. But to be honest turbo still going well, no losing boost and no whistle sound once foot is off accelerator. Whistle only come son after 5 psi approx......
Well, if I need to check the turbo? How???beyound my ability Do I need to take it all out???/
Take the TIP off and physically inspect the turbo for play, signs of contact on the compressor, and oil.
Check inside your boost hoses too for excessive oil

Take the TIP off and physically inspect the turbo for play, signs of contact on the compressor, and oil.
Check inside your boost hoses too for excessive oil thanksman, just checked, little oil film on elbow towards the in charge metal tube....no oil in the air intake near MAF sensor. compressor blade-where TIP takes off has only little play no more than 1mm. Is that ok??

ok, bubble tested this morning, but only the visible vac lines and boostlines in the engine bay , I have not taken the bumpber off..again no leak.......early this morning I took the intake hose off, I saw the comprerssor blade-for the first time. and try to see any side way or play in it. Well, the blade has no side movement(touch wood) but I can pull it straight/toward me if facing me) no more than 1mm...so that is all I can say.

By the way, I made the oil catch can vent to air yesterday, so in theory no oil should be left in intake charge in near future.

Last edited:
When my tip came loose on the turbo just at the borrom it made this sound take it off check the turbo as people have said just to be 100% that it's not your turbo then double check and tighten the turbo intake pipe if it's an aftermarket one to make sure it hasn't slipped off or split

Mine was doing that exact same thing its not TIP side. You have a boost leak somewhere what is your boost gauge reading when its makes the whizzing noise?

When my tip came loose on the turbo just at the borrom it made this sound take it off check the turbo as people have said just to be 100% that it's not your turbo then double check and tighten the turbo intake pipe if it's an aftermarket one to make sure it hasn't slipped off or split
ok ok, one more time-hardwork man,,,,,,its fiddling, audi really made this hard rigid and tight space.... IF worst case comes I undo the 3 mainbolts and rebuild myself(first time as a challenge).........

Mine was doing that exact same thing its not TIP side. You have a boost leak somewhere what is your boost gauge reading when its makes the whizzing noise?
boost guage shows no sign or flutuation, its around 5psi , if hold it down hard it will whistle all the way from 5psi to 24. Once foot off, the sounds goes away.

It's not hard work take the intercooler pipe off and air filter if you have it standard and then have a check jack the car up and you should be able to see from the top and the bottom if it's loose or has a split it's just a bit fiddly or take it to a garage if your not confident that you can do it but then if you won't try your wasting everyone's time by their reply, I'm not being funny or nasty just saying your being given the information to check but you don't want it dude?

Take it to a shop and get a leak/smoke test done.

Reactions: oldcar and Mrharris2
Any luck with the vw guy. Its seems i am having the same problem now. I have checked everything stated above. Even went ahead and installed a catch can as to replace all the rotten cracked brittle hoses if the pcv system. Will have to get a smoke/leak teat done. I refitted tip checked boost hose for crack/tears. Will check lower intercooler hoses tomorrow.

Any luck with the vw guy. Its seems i am having the same problem now. I have checked everything stated above. Even went ahead and installed a catch can as to replace all the rotten cracked brittle hoses if the pcv system. Will have to get a smoke/leak teat done. I refitted tip checked boost hose for crack/tears. Will check lower intercooler hoses tomorrow.
no leak on mine, they scratching their heads. They reckon its the blade causes, but the car stills going strong. so they did not charge me. Now wait for your news...see if they find anything?

Its a pipe that is prone to damage over time, however just over a year is not 'over time' and its meant to be reinforced too, so should last even longer really.
latest update, its has been more than 20 days since I have sent to Creationsmotorsportshttp://www.creationsmotorsport.com/ on 17/7/15.
I have sent them 3 emails to find out the outcome, but they never replied. How long would it take to send an tube from Sydney to UK...20 days or less, If they have not received , they should at least just give us at least a courtesy reply.......to be honest...Are they tried to avoid the issue...What you guys reckon?

Finally managed to get a video on my car 2001 s3 8L, but again its too bright...can not see the boostguage 100%, but take my word for it. My mechanic told me there is a cat in my car screaming..haaaaa. But could not find any leaks, can not smell anything inside the engine bay..vag shows no fault...idle smooth.... tell me what you think? Thanks

Did you ever find out what was causing this noise?