Steering wheel issue

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
In order to drive straight in my new S3, I have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the left.

I've checked the tyre pressure and all seems fine. Didn't hit a pothole so what the hell could it be? It's a brand new car and I'm not too happy about that issue.

Sorry to hear this but I'd go straight back to the dealership and let them worry about it. If you are on a very flat and straight road, you should be able to take both hands off the wheel and go straight! I test it every now and again to check the tracking.

As above take it to the dealer. I had a B7 avant and it scrubbed the inside of the rear tyres almost bald. And this after 2000 miles.This was due to the four wheel alignment being out. The dealer fixed it under warranty. I think that car was a Friday afternoon one as the clutch master cylinder failed after 300 miles and the clutch went completely after 60k!

And apart from being broken into twice and stolen once it was a lovely car:racer:

Deffo wheel alignment. Doesn't mean that the alignment is out, but it has not been set up with the steering wheel in the correct central position. Schoolboy error by someone.

Reactions: drummerdimitri
Will be going back to the dealership tomorrow to rectify the issue.

Another possibility is steering angle sensor. I had this on my previous new car (not Audi). Took the dealer several attempts to diagnose it. To me it was obvious. If it's out a few degrees then the power steering will be trying to correct even tho you're going straight.

If you have a reversing camera check that the guidelines are straight with the wheel centred - if not then defo suggests sensor problem. Similar if you have adaptive lights that are pointing to one side even tho wheel straight ahead. I had all of these symptoms with a steering angle sensor problem.