Upgraded pads and rotors on stock S3 calipers. A waste of money?

Think of it in terms of what actually has an effect .

Upgraded pads , yes.

Braided brake lines , yes.

Grooved standard size rotors , no .

You cannot beat the physics of leverage with a BBK .

It's obvious that pads and rotors on stock calipers will never be able to beat a proper BBK. The question is, would a kit similar to the one a posted above over a noticeable improvement? Or would there hardly be any difference ?

I would put the money to a good BBK such as an AP kit

Reactions: Gazwould
I guess you're right Alex. Better to do it properly and do it once rather than faffing about with cheap fixes.
I have been trying to find out about pricing for the AP racing kit and emailed AP with no response. Would you mind sharing the rough cost of your recent AP racing kit here on in a PM? Just the front kit. I just want to know if it's in the same ball park as products from VWR and Stoptech.

Thanks.

On another car I totally wasted my money , referbed front and rear calipers with new pistons and seals , fronts were 4 pots.

DS2500 all around and std size grooved discs and braided lines for next to nothing improvement.

If the ap racing are out of your price range (there a lot of ££££) take a look at yellow speed racing bbk alexwill on here runs them and rates them highly

Reactions: S3Alex
On another car I totally wasted my money , referbed front and rear calipers with new pistons and seals , fronts were 4 pots.

DS2500 all around and std size grooved discs and braided lines for next to nothing improvement.

That's pretty much what I thought. So either get a proper BBK or don't waste money on upgraded pads and rotors on the stock calipers.

Thanks!

If the ap racing are out of your price range (there a lot of ££££) take a look at yellow speed racing bbk alexwill on here runs them and rates them highly

Not sure what the pricing even is on the AP kit. Hopefully Alex will be able to let me know.
Never heard of the yellow speed kits. I'll google that. Thanks.

I think ap are around the 2k mark take a look at yellowspeedeurope they also do decent coilovers

Not sure what the pricing even is on the AP kit. Hopefully Alex will be able to let me know.
Never heard of the yellow speed kits. I'll google that. Thanks.

AP is about £2.5k

The YellowSpeed kit was well received by AlexWil and is obviously worth looking at too.

AP have a 6 week build time.

I think ap are around the 2k mark take a look at yellowspeedeurope they also do decent coilovers

Thanks, I already have KW V2 coilovers and they are doing an amazing job. I will do some research on their BBK though.

AP is about £2.5k

The YellowSpeed kit was well received by AlexWil and is obviously worth looking at too.

AP have a 6 week build time.

Thanks Alex. Unfortunately that's slightly more than I want to spend. I'm just not sure if the AP kit justifies the premium over the VWR kit or StopTech kit that seem to go for less.

I know you had a bad time with the VWR kit but they now have a updated model that seems to be getting good reviews.

I guess it's time to fire up google and do some more research.

Thanks, I already have KW V2 coilovers and they are doing an amazing job. I will do some research on their BBK though.

Thanks Alex. Unfortunately that's slightly more than I want to spend. I'm just not sure if the AP kit justifies the premium over the VWR kit or StopTech kit that seem to go for less.

I know you had a bad time with the VWR kit but they now have a updated model that seems to be getting good reviews.

Have a look at the YellowSpeed kit instead maybe......the issue I'd have with VWR kits is that it's proprietary gear,and servicing should they change suppliers might be problematic.

That leaves the Forge kit,and possibly some of VagBremTechniks kits.

I tried to get the AP kit around the time that I bought the v2 VWR kit,but it wasn't available,hence the VWR kit,but having had AP gear on other cars,that's why I went back.
The stopping power and progression are excellent.

The ap kit costs that much for a reason and with a 6 wait think that speaks for its self ,sadly there out of price range too and would be overkill for my hp and torque ,running what Alex does u need to know it will STOP, personally I think vwr stuff is over priced

The ap kit costs that much for a reason and with a 6 wait think that speaks for its self ,sadly there out of price range too and would be overkill for my hp and torque ,running what Alex does u need to know it will STOP, personally I think vwr stuff is over priced

The thing there is that some companies rebrand stuff,and do so at a premium.

It was suggested to me recently that one well known kit is in fact rebranded K-Sport gear,which is no disrespect to either,but you have to know what you're buying....

It was suggested to me recently that one well known kit is in fact rebranded K-Sport gear,which is no disrespect to either,but you have to know what you're buying....
That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they can get away with it they will it's easy money

This Stoptech kit from neuspeed is more or less the kind of kit that I think would fit my needs. A decent price at 2600 dollars US, 4 piston setup with 355mm rotors. Quite a bit less than the AP racing kit yet should still offer great performance.

Does anyone on here have experience with Stoptech?

http://www.neuspeed.com/264/4/0/2211/st83893470072-stoptech-big-brake-kit-355mm.html
If your UK based don't forget to add UK Import duty on top 20% I think it is now

Aye , D2 are K-Sport.

I would suggest TTRS AP hybrid as something in the middle. The only issue with the kit is the wide calipers make wheel choices hard.

The 4 pot brembo caliper is very capable for stage 2+ and beyond its the stock TTRS disc that is the weak link. Swap that out for some floating AP rotors and either Mintex, Pagid or Project Mu pads and you have a BBK that is track ready for nearly a grand less than the equivalent AP or Alcon kit.

Don't forget to upgrade the rear pads to suit as well so you don't upset the brake balance. Mines still on stock pads and discs on the rear and it can be very squirmy on the brakes.

If your UK based don't forget to add UK Import duty on top 20% I think it is now

I'm not UK based so that isn't an issue for me :)

I would suggest TTRS AP hybrid as something in the middle. The only issue with the kit is the wide calipers make wheel choices hard.

The 4 pot brembo caliper is very capable for stage 2+ and beyond its the stock TTRS disc that is the weak link. Swap that out for some floating AP rotors and either Mintex, Pagid or Project Mu pads and you have a BBK that is track ready for nearly a grand less than the equivalent AP or Alcon kit.

Don't forget to upgrade the rear pads to suit as well so you don't upset the brake balance. Mines still on stock pads and discs on the rear and it can be very squirmy on the brakes.

The only reason I'm reluctant to go with the TTRS kit is the size of the calipers and wheel fitment issue. I really don't want to run huge spacers. Also, sourcing TTRS calipers seems to be difficult at the moment.

The only reason I'm reluctant to go with the TTRS kit is the size of the calipers and wheel fitment issue. I really don't want to run huge spacers. Also, sourcing TTRS calipers seems to be difficult at the moment.
Yellow speed are direct replacement the ttrs fitment issues is what put me off them

Yellow speed are direct replacement the ttrs fitment issues is what put me off them

rs3/ttrs calipers are the same just so you know. Also try german ebay. There are a fair few wheels that will fit and they do fit under prefacelift wheels with 12mm spacers. TD1.2, neuspeed rse12 both are 18" and a fair few 19s fit. There is a thread somewhere. With the AP rotors the calipers are on custom carriers and are moved in a few mm so clearance is aided slightly.

Exactly right re the rear brakes and balance overall.

When I first upgraded the fronts,the rear was definitely going light under heavy braking and getting squirmy.

Our initial solution was to replace the stock discs with ZeroSixty discs and uprate the pads to Mintex 1155s which definitely restored some balance at minimal cost.

The next step was the Forge 330mm 4 pot rear kit,which coincided with my front kit giving up through excess wear.
Hence the AP kit.

I do believe something like Mintex 1155 pads make a big difference as well,and am reasonably sure that AP pads are Mintex derived.