2.0T engine on 06 plate A3: avoid?!?!

Tricky123

Reaction score
evening, all

new round here, so am trying to get to grips with search facility, but before I do, can anyone assist please.

Had a lovely old A4 Avant 2.5TDI Quattro Sport until it's turbo went at 259k miles earlier this year and so have been on the lookout for a suitable replacement whilst using our old E Class estate.

The dad of one of my boy's classmates has a lovely looking Grey 5 door A3 on an 06 plate. S line, leather, sunroof, auto gearbox with paddle shift. Really nice looking car that I often see and admire.

Anyway, they're moving abroad it would seem and he's offered me first refusal on it. Superbo.

However, I just happen to bump into my mechanic today at the shops and mention this - initially slightly worried about the dual clutch - and he launches into a warning about oil consumption and the way the oil is fed into the Pistons and doom and gloom.

I really trust this fella, but I really wanna buy the car!

What I don't want to do is turn up in 6 months time at his garage looking at a 3 grand engine re-build.

So is this all true then about oil consumption and engine wear?

Does is apply to this engine from 06?

It says 2.0 T on the back of the car...does that mean FSI and the dodgy engine? on an 06 plate?

Is this even a sensible choice for me who drives maybe 20k a year?

Need to look into it and am meeting him over the weekend to discuss so not sure onmileage exactly, but am guessing c100k.

How much should I look to pay for it, by the way? Am hoping for a slight fire sale/mates rates scenario if I'm lucky...

I'll leave it with you all

Many thanks in advance....

As far as the oil consumption goes, some hardly use a drop and others are quite thirsty it's just luck of the draw mine uses about a litre every 3000 or so.

As for your annual mileage, it's going to use a LOT more fuel than your 2.5TDI. If driven sensibly then you might get mid 30's out of town, 40 at 55mph on a cruise, high 20's if you are sensible in town and 20ish if you cane it.

As for price you're probably looking at about £4,500!

As far as the oil consumption goes, some hardly use a drop and others are quite thirsty it's just luck of the draw mine uses about a litre every 3000 or so.

As for your annual mileage, it's going to use a LOT more fuel than your 2.5TDI. If driven sensibly then you might get mid 30's out of town, 40 at 55mph on a cruise, high 20's if you are sensible in town and 20ish if you cane it.

Thanks so much for your replied thus far; very much appreciated.

So does this engine issue affect 06 plate cars?

Would like to buy this car but don't want to pay 3k for an engine rebuild in six months, obviously.

All input/thoughts/experience/guidance etc very much appreciated.

I have this exact same car. Car is fine had it for 3000miles so far and no oil problems. Had s 2.0tdi so the increased Rev range has you wanting to cane it a lot. However if driven maturely lol you can get okay mpg but for long motorway driving, diesel hands down

Would like to buy this car but don't want to pay 3k for an engine rebuild in six months, obviously.

Come on..let's be realistic here, it's highly unlikely you're going to need an engine rebuild...

I have a 55 2.0T with 120k and it's great, doesn't use any oil but then I don't do mega miles.

Have the cam follower checked/replaced as mine was on its last legs pretty much.

Thanks so much for your replied thus far; very much appreciated.

So does this engine issue affect 06 plate cars?

All input/thoughts/experience/guidance etc very much appreciated.

They are good engines, I heard the TSI engines had more
oil issues than the FSI. I doubt you will have many problems except doubling your fuel bill...

I thought most of these oil consumption/piston ring issues were on the A4 platform around 08?
Granted my 59 plate S3 uses a bit of oil, roughly a litre every 2k miles but my last 08 one never touched a drop.
I would say there is more potential problems in the dsg than the engine but second hand cars are always a gamble!

Gents

Thanks so much for the info/experience...great stuff.

Was really keen about this car, then not so, then was again, now more concerned about fuel. To be fair, fuel is my main expense, so I try to drive v sensibly most of the time and always 70mph on cruise control on motorways, so hopefully will get 40/odd mpg when doing so?

Further thoughts welcome and much appreciated.

I try to drive v sensibly most of the time and always 70mph on cruise control on motorways, so hopefully will get 40/odd mpg when doing so

Not in my experience, I have the FWD version (90kg lighter) and at 70 I'm getting mid 30's. If you want 40+ you need to be going 60 at most.

Really?

I thought FWD would have made it heavier.

And Quattro is higher on fuel consumption, surely?

Either way, we'll see what this chap says today and how much he wants and go from there...

Really?

I thought FWD would have made it heavier.

And Quattro is higher on fuel consumption, surely?

Either way, we'll see what this chap says today and how much he wants and go from there...
I think he means front wheel drive???

Oopsy.

Ok.

So, there's a rear wheel drive version, is there?

That sound a bit bmw rubbish to me.

Me yesterday after filling up with v power after a 30 minute drive home at 50 on A13...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437725087505460
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437725096965315

Aaah, ok....so do you get 460miles out of a full tank, do you reckon?

55 litres?

I do 90% motorway miles, I reckon...I think I'd be happy-ish with that.

Having tracked my fuel consumption for just shy of a year (using Road trip) I have an average of 31.29mpg. On long motorway runs I have seen upto 36.89mpg. It may be possible to get upto 40mpg with a 2WD 2.0T but i wouldnt count on averaging anything near that.

Last edited:
Aaah, ok....so do you get 460miles out of a full tank, do you reckon?

55 litres?

I do 90% motorway miles, I reckon...I think I'd be happy-ish with that.

You could get 430 out of a full tank if just doing motorway miles at speed limits and car is at optimum meaning tyres, weight and serviced recently, if not 380-400 is more realistic. Turbo petrols are for fun, the 2litre ones anyways not really mpg warriors lol keep a diesel handy

You could get 430 out of a full tank if just doing motorway miles at speed limits and car is at optimum meaning tyres, weight and serviced recently, if not 380-400 is more realistic. Turbo petrols are for fun, the 2litre ones anyways not really mpg warriors lol keep a diesel handy

Great info, chaps....good stuff.

Hmmmm, I think I can just about justify (petrols 3/4% cheaper than diesel, isn't it?) it if all else is as it seems with the car, but there's a v similar 2l tdi on auto trader just come up which would be more sensible....

I love my 2l petrol compared to the 2ldiesel because of the grunt and rev range but I do miss not seeing my fuel needle move from start of journey to end after about 30miles lol

Lol....deffo

QUOTE="TimWills12, post: 2518636, member: 90118"]I love my 2l petrol compared to the 2ldiesel because of the grunt and rev range but I do miss not seeing my fuel needle move from start of journey to end after about 30miles lol[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, I think I can just about justify (petrols 3/4% cheaper than diesel, isn't it?) it if all else is as it seems with the car, but there's a v similar 2l tdi on auto trader just come up which would be more sensible....

I think you might be better off getting a 170 diesel and remapping it. Then you have comparable performance to a standard 2.0T but way better economy.

I do like these forums, I remeber getting loads of good advice and just enjoying the reading when I've had Capris, minis, Golfs and Audis in the past.

Funny though, I really part company with you petrol heads when it comes to performance etc.

It's funny, but really couldn't give a toss about how fast it goes or what it sounds like a long as it looks ace and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to drive around for work.

Funny, isn't it...I'd rather have the cheapest, shittiest engine as long as it was cheap and the it had te right aesthetic for what I was into at the time.

Each to their own, of course, but I wonder if there are many like me...I doubt it!

I do like these forums, I remeber getting loads of good advice and just enjoying the reading when I've had Capris, minis, Golfs and Audis in the past.

Funny though, I really part company with you petrol heads when it comes to performance etc.

It's funny, but really couldn't give a toss about how fast it goes or what it sounds like a long as it looks ace and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to drive around for work.

Funny, isn't it...I'd rather have the cheapest, shittiest engine as long as it was cheap and the it had te right aesthetic for what I was into at the time.

Each to their own, of course, but I wonder if there are many like me...I doubt it!

Ok, 100% diesel mate! You won't regret it!

I love these threads, I ran a 140 TDi for four years, great on juice and it could nip along as well.
When it came to changing, I looked at a couple of 170's, which were really untidy and not worth it.
Then along came the 3.2.
Always fancied one, fell in love with it as soon as it was started up. I often wondered if I made a mistake, bearing in mind that I knew it was going to be thirsty, but, if you guy's are getting that mpg out of a 2 litre, I am delighted with my 33 mpg.
If you are looking at mpg before you buy a car, use the worst set of figures.
If you can live with that, you will live with anything.
:smile new:

Reactions: TimWills28