The spiders have moved in

bluemoona3246

Reaction score
Spiders have made themselves cosy in my rear lights, every time I clean the car or clear the cobwebs, hours later they reappear again! Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, thinking I'm gonna take the light clusters off at the weekend and try and fill the "gap" that's physically there, not good audi, not good..

Oh Dear! I hate even to mention the word spiders. Dislike very much.:whip:

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Same here but mines a door mirror spider - the current one is much cleverer than the others as he's picked the passenger mirror. :yes:

Reactions: ACWKGYTO, JohnM100 and Blackwhite
Spiders have made themselves cosy in my rear lights, every time I clean the car or clear the cobwebs, hours later they reappear again! Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, thinking I'm gonna take the light clusters off at the weekend and try and fill the "gap" that's physically there, not good audi, not good..
Yep had this on my car too. They love that rear left cluster!!

Same here but mines a door mirror spider - the current one is much cleverer than the others as he's picked the passenger mirror. :yes:

Just make sure they pay rent. :tongueclosed:

Reactions: K4RL and bluemoona3246
Get them in the mirrors. Also, webs are completely immune to pressure washers - the silk is just so fine that you can blast them all day to no avail.

Maybe take the rear bulbs out and replace them with those blue lights you see in kebab shops, designed to zap pesky flying/crawling creatures.

Reactions: Clunge, bluemoona3246, MA3RC and 2 others
I got my car 19 months ago and it had spiders in the mirrors. So i cleaned them out and sprayed something like this in there LINK REMOVED (its a spider spray) Ive just got my first spider move in since i got the car.

Haha. My dad keeps moaning to me that he cleans cobwebs off his mirror then hours later it's back again, so looks like a spider isn't paying rent and squatting in his mirror housing!

I've got crabs in mine , a close reletive of the spider .

Dam things having a "Shameless" party in the rear light cluster .

Don't know how they escaped .

No issues with spiders being in a car tbh. Anything that gets rid of flies and mossies is OK by me.

I am pleased to report that the spiders have been evicted!
This was fairly easy to do, and if any of you want to do this, I have written a helpful guide. (for the 3 door, I'm sure the Sportback will be same)
First of all, open the boot, then locate the cover on the interior side of bootlid:
IMG 5324

Insert a screwdriver, either a flatblade or the flatblade included in the toolkit for the car, and prise off the light cover, it should come off fairly easily..
Now this is done, you will now see 3x8mm nuts holding the light cluster in place, get an 8mm socket and put it on a socket driver, you will be able to get the first 2 closest to the centre, however the outer socket is a right pain... if you have a flexible extendible socket unit this may work however I had to use a pair of long nose pliers to grip the nut and loosen it off, once loosened you may be able to loosen the nut by hand (if you have small hands like me. Below I have inserted a picture of the light cluster with the nuts circled:

IMG 5325

Remove the light socket (may be a good idea to do this at the start oops...) :
IMG 5327

Now push the light cluster out from the bootlid up, the cluster may require a little force but not too much! hopefully now the light should come free!

IMG 5328

Clean out the spiders. (this one even had the cheek to lay eggs...)

IMG 5329

IMG 5331

Put back together (assembly is the reverse of disassembly)

Make sure there are no errors on the DIS for faulty/broken bulbs..

All done, hope this helps!

Reactions: Blackwhite
Great eviction process! ^ That's what they get for not paying the rent.:tongueclosed:

I just give mine a shot of insecticide in all the usual places. Great deterrent. They also hate soapy water loads of it.

I just give mine a shot of insecticide in all the usual places. Great deterrent. They also hate soapy water loads of it.

We dont need to do that hear, we move no animals that could harm us, not like Australia.

Would also be surprised if thats legal...I thought you Aussies cared about the environment !

hahaha. not particularly great tree hugger or I'll be in a Prius. But do use insecticide made from plant extracts.

I had my experience too, but after some visit to the dealer they managed to get it out.
2014-09-20%2009.33.42.jpg