Unleaded vs Super Unleaded

Andy Dilworth

Reaction score
Hi guys, when my RS3 arrives in September (hopefully!?) it will be the first real fast car I will have owned and I was wondering what your thoughts were on using Super or normal unleaded.......?

I only use super in my performance cars - especially if they've been tuned.

I've been thinking about this also, when i first had my S3 i always used shell v power religiously, same with the current SQ5. Novelty of the new car wore off after about a year with both cars and i just started putting anything in them.

i think its the fact i always PCP my cars so i kind of think whats the point when its going to go back.
With the RS3 i want the best performance so ill be using Vpower.

With my SQ5 I did a V-Power every 3rd tank to give it a clean out from the additives as derv's don't gain power directly like a petrol engine can if tuned to take advantage of the higher compression that higher RON fuel can allow.

Last edited:
good point! little late for me now with the SQ5. it will be gone in a month or two. and will be missed i might add, great car!

good point! little late for me now with the SQ5. it will be gone in a month or two. and will be missed i might add, great car!

Indeed - do miss mine too. Was like the best of all worlds, not too compromised in any one area and bent physics with that engine! In the end though I missed something of a more nimble nature, but overreacted with the S1 which has no practicality (I'm going to miss it's mad terrier handling though)!
So that lead me to the RS3 which I hope will sit as something fun enough to drive and yet still has a decent boot and can fit adults in the back.

But we're getting off topic now!

So that lead me to the RS3 which I hope will sit as something fun enough to drive and yet still has a decent boot and can fit adults in the back.
You may be disappointed in the boot space in the RS3, it's not much bigger than your S1.

Due to the battery being relocated to the boot in the RS3, it is 100L smaller than that of an A3/S3.

S1 = 210L
A3/S3 = 380L
RS3 = 280L

Battery was is the boot of the mk1 think it was 380L which was a good size now it's 280L wow that's a bit tight for my shopping lol

You may be disappointed in the boot space in the RS3, it's not much bigger than your S1.

Due to the battery being relocated to the boot in the RS3, it is 100L smaller than that of an A3/S3.

S1 = 210L
A3/S3 = 380L
RS3 = 280L

Yea, it's not a massive leap I know. But it's enough to make it just practical enough compared (for me anyway). BTW the S3 and quattro A3's only get 340L due to the rear diff - and when I looked at an S3 and RS3 in the showroom side by side I couldn't see any size difference, certainly not 60L worth (which should be obvious!). It left me wondering if the quoted 280L in the brochure is correct to not.

Glad I'm only losing 60L and not 100L!

Reactions: josedebardi
Hi guys, when my RS3 arrives in September (hopefully!?) it will be the first real fast car I will have owned and I was wondering what your thoughts were on using Super or normal unleaded.......?

Ahem! BACK to the question: SHELL V-Power, Andy; there's so much more in its make-up to keep the combustion paths of that 5-pot lump pristine it doesn't bear thinking about: our RS3 has run on nothing less for 3+ years now.

And so for that matter does our 2.0 TFSI; SHELL V-Power at every fill

And even our A2 Tdi (purchased recently with 80K miles) NOW! runs SHELL V-power Nitro+ diesel

You only get out what you put in....

PS: spent my whole career in IC engine technology and diesel or petrol engine manufacture, and/or applications... :blink:

Reactions: Andy Dilworth and DAYTONA 500
Agreed Shell v-power nitro all the way

On our RS3 / TT3.2 / and Renault Master van (yep they do it in Diesel)

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Shell v-power all day long ,hi john seen this and thought of u ;)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Has anyone checked what Audi have done with the RS3 fuel optimisation. I would be very surprised if it has not been optimised for 98 RON, but I was surprised that the B8 S4/S5 is optimised for 95 RON (whereas the B5 was 98 RON). Of course I still use v-power in my car, for the same reasons as everyone else, however I believe that the ECU does not advance ignition to take advantage.

I would like to think maybe the ECU does indeed recognise the better fuel with a higher octane rating and adapt accordingly.....

Or it could be mapped using 95Ron as a baseline

However here in the UK perhaps not everyone will bother with the good stuff anyway......

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DAYTONA 500
I know in my S1 that it makes about £1.50 difference per tank (can still get 99RON at 115p per litre at the Tesco by me), which I fill up every few weeks. On that basis I just go with the premium juice, and I don't really mind if it doesn't have that much effect.

Reactions: T-800
I would like to think maybe the ECU does indeed recognise the better fuel with a higher octane rating and adapt accordingly.....

I'm only going on what I have heard from tuners. For the S4/S5 apparently the OEM ECU does not adapt for 98 RON, so it is stuck with the optimisation to 95 RON that Audi did in development. I would really expect that Audi would have optimised the RS3 for 98 RON, but I'm just giving this information since I read this post.

Out here in the middle of nowhere anything above 95ron is a rarity and a 50 mile round trip so takes a lot of preplanning!

Agree Dippy 100%

I'm just saying that maybe they programmed the ECU to take advantage of higher octane fuels.
I always find the cars run that bit better on the good stuff.

I have to be honest and state that I don't think my S5 gets any better performance from v-power than 95 RON. I'm looking forward to getting a stage 2 (and only then will I stop wondering if I should have ordered an RS3 instead :))

Shell v-power all day long ,hi john seen this and thought of u ;)
View attachment 63989

I just love these Audi A2 things, John; one thing for sure jumping back into the TT or RS3 you can sure feel a difference...

Audi, Audi, Audi...

P1000526mod_zps0v05v56y.jpg

Hope you're well and that house building is to 'taste'.... :friends:

Reactions: Kelza
As a RS variant performance model, I can only envisage Audi optimising the ECU for 98 RON from the factory. It can take 95 RON I'm sure, but it'll activate the anti knock protocols to prevent pre detonation and thus provide lower performance levels.

If you're spending 40-50k on a car I would pay the little extra for v-power. My 8L was designed to run on 98 from factory but not sure with the newer ones. Id run it regardless

Tesco 99 most fill ups with the occasional V-Power full tank if passing and I need it (for the S3 8V). Difference over the whole year is very little, so why try and save pennies?
RS3 will be the same if I get one.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
There's definitely a difference between Morrisons Unleaded and V Power Nitro+.
I see it as buying Fosters when you know Stella will do the job far better. There's so many forums on this subject...
I personally stick with Shells best fuel for the sake of a few quid..

Reactions: T-800 and RYuill
We have super unleaded 97 Ron in my town .... Will that be ok in the rs3 ?

Definitely, Unless ur in Moscow and can use vodka...

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I thought 97 should be ok and near enough.

I will occasionally put Shell v power in but that means a 15 mile trip each direction to my nearest petrol station.

The Tesco in my town has no momentum.
Morrisons has no super unleaded.
I am left with just the Jet garage which does offer super unleaded.

You can always buy a stash of octane booster like Millers CVL Turbo if you can't get hold of 99 RON fuel on a regular basis.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Yeah I guess that's a possibility too.