Front Speakers - A3 Sportback 2009

sampsonzak

Reaction score
One of my front speakers is making a little weird static-like sound (can only hear it at low, low volume). But seeing as I have a subwoofer in the boot, and it isn't the BOSE spec speaker set - I thought I may aswell just upgrade my front speakers? Had a look on eBay and 2 pioneer speakers for the front (2003 - 2010) a3 is £50 brand new.

I am just looking for someone to confirm what speaker size I need. It's an 2009 A3 Sportback - Has anyone else got one that can share their experiences or tips on what speakers I should get? I only want to change the front ones (the large one at the bottom of the door).

Please let me know, very interested; and this is my first post on this forum, as I've only had my A3 a month now :).

if yours is the same as mine.. a3 2004 3dr u will need 16.5cm but you also need speaker adaptors.. check on car audio security webpage.

Eff CAS lol ... Yes you need 6.5" component speakers and will need adaptors too. While you have the door off why not buy some sound deadening material and use it to deaden the outer door skin, and to seal the adaptor to the inner skin.

Any help you need give me a shout :)

The large one works in conjunction with the tweeter in the A pillar. I think component speakers usually come with a tweeter.
In my experience, change the tweeter at your peril.

These are the adaptors I purchased:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251299162119

The large one works in conjunction with the tweeter in the A pillar. I think component speakers usually come with a tweeter.
In my experience, change the tweeter at your peril.

Yes, 6.5" component speakers do consist of a 6.5" woofer and a tweeter. Why change the tweeter at your peril??

Hi,

I'm not sure if it would be the same speakers? Yours is a 2004 3-door while mine is a 2009 5-door?

This was the speaker kit I was looking at: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-F...i|Model:A3|Cars+Year:2009&hash=item1c4cde4092

Would this work? I have the standard audi head unit for the radio - but it's wired up to an external sub in the boot (This came with it when I bought the car last month!)

Would I need to rewire everything, take out the radio unit etc? I don't mind taking the door panels off but I don't fancy ripping out any more of the interior, and I only want to change the big 2 speakers in the front passenger and driver's door, not the little tweeters/speakers which are in the frame of the car (if that makes sense).

Please suggest what I should do? :eek: (And also, does the kit I linked to have all the sufficient connectors/adapters if required?)

Many thanks!!

Why change the tweeter at your peril??

Getting the wire from the door to the A pillar is an absolute nightmare.
My glovebox is still lying in the passenger footwell, as I got fed up with trying to figure out how to get the speaker wire from the door to the A pillar.

Would I need to rewire everything, take out the radio unit etc? I don't mind taking the door panels off but I don't fancy ripping out any more of the interior, and I only want to change the big 2 speakers in the front passenger and driver's door, not the little tweeters/speakers which are in the frame of the car (if that makes sense).

You would only need to take the door cards off to get at the speakers.
It seems those speakers would fit, but the adaptor rings appear to be for the rear doors, but I don't know the quality of them.

Getting the wire from the door to the A pillar is an absolute nightmare.
My glovebox is still lying in the passenger footwell, as I got fed up with trying to figure out how to get the speaker wire from the door to the A pillar.

You would only need to take the door cards off to get at the speakers.
It seems those speakers would fit, but the adaptor rings appear to be for the rear doors, but I don't know the quality of them.

It's not that hard to do... Back out the grommet and up back of the glove box and round the side??

It's not that hard to do... Back out the grommet and up back of the glove box and round the side??

Hi Sayam,

Yes, I spent the afternoon getting it done. It's not too hard when you know how, but I couldn't find anywhere on the net that told you to pierce the two grommets to run the cable.
I have only done one side of the car, because I didn't relalise the rear door speakers used the same adaptor as the front. I have ordered another pair, and will do the offside of the car next week.

I have taken pictures, and hope to get a thread up showing how I did it.

Glad you got it sorted and as I've said in open forum before, anything audio related anyone is welcome to ask me. That what I have most knowledge about so is the best way for me to give back in this amazing community we have

Just how easy is it to replace the side speakers then? Ive thought about doing it before, can you re-use the wiring from the existing speakers?

Which ones do you mean when you say side speakers? And is the car 3dr or 5?

Front speakers is what I mean, its a 5 door 2011 TDi SLine.

I have a question too:

My car is the 5-door A3 2009

If I took the old speakers out (I'm pretty sure they are the 6.5" ones, bottom of the doors (driver + passenger doors), can I simply just cut the wires from the old speaker and connect them to the new speaker? Would that work? Would there be anything else I need to do??

Thank you

I have a question too:

My car is the 5-door A3 2009

If I took the old speakers out (I'm pretty sure they are the 6.5" ones, bottom of the doors (driver + passenger doors), can I simply just cut the wires from the old speaker and connect them to the new speaker? Would that work? Would there be anything else I need to do??

Thank you

Hi yes you could... Thats what i did anyway. But i have an aftermarket HU fitted. Also dont worry about tweeters, the original ones will still work and you can get speakers with Tweeters built in.

I just chopped the wires and assumed that the grey wire with the white line is + everything works and nothing has caught fire.

Hi yes you could... Thats what i did anyway. But i have an aftermarket HU fitted. Also dont worry about tweeters, the original ones will still work and you can get speakers with Tweeters built in.

I just chopped the wires and assumed that the grey wire with the white line is + everything works and nothing has caught fire.

That's not the right way to do things but it would work from an electrical point of view

That's not the right way to do things but it would work from an electrical point of view

If I cut the old wire, and twisted it alot with my new speaker wires, wrapped it with electrical tape - would this work fine and have no worries of anything going wrong? I know sound vibrates but twisting metal together and taping it isn't going to be undone by vibration.

Would this work? I've bought the speakers from Amazon so I look on getting it all fitted either this week or next week (Most likely next week if they don't ship it tomorrow!)

Thanks again all!

With all due respect, what is the right way? purely for education and next time know better purposes?

If I cut the old wire, and twisted it alot with my new speaker wires, wrapped it with electrical tape - would this work fine and have no worries of anything going wrong? I know sound vibrates but twisting metal together and taping it isn't going to be undone by vibration.

Would this work? I've bought the speakers from Amazon so I look on getting it all fitted either this week or next week (Most likely next week if they don't ship it tomorrow!)

Thanks again all!

I wouldnt do that... get some cheap terminals from Halfords or ebay..

I used these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Blue-...344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8c3c35d0

Last edited:
With all due respect, what is the right way? purely for education and next time know better purposes?

Use a component speaker, replacing the tweeter as well as the mid.

Your way, you spend X on speakers, keep the poor quality tweeter (the main problem in the OEM/Bose system) and then you're using a coaxial speaker so you have too much tweeter for a given amount of mid.

Also don't assume with wiring, it's simple enough to pull the head unit out and check polarity :)

I'm not sure if it was you that said it but someone suggested cutting the OEM plug too. No need to do that, you can buy pin connectors to crimp on the end of the wire and stick the pins into the OEM plug. That way it's easy peasy to go back to stock if required.

Reactions: shadow1993