A4 2.0tdi e dpf delete and remap?

Ant138

Reaction score
Hi folks. Recently had the engine management light pop up on my avant. I had the codes read and seems to be to do with the dpf. I cleared the codes and have given it a few longer runs and all haven't had the warning light on since, and it all drives fine. But, this is my dilemma. I was hoping to get it remapped soon and was going to leave the dpf in and go as far as is safe without removing it. But now I'm wondering whether it would be worth doing the dpf delete and remap together.

I dont really do that many miles in the car, and a lot of journeys are only short ones, so if I changed the dpf I don't know how long it would be before I had these issues again.

What are people's thoughts? Anyone else had any experience with this and what have you done? Thanks.

You don't do many files' and already the lights been on, remapping and leaving it in place will speed the life of it failing up etc. to be honest I'd remove and remap, or try one of our chemical cleans

Yea I don't travel that far. But not had the car long either, and starting to think where I bought it from didn't give me the full truth behind the history of the car! Now the light has been on I wouldnt remap it unless I changed the dpf or deleted it really. I just didn't know what may be best? And if there's anyone near the Midlands that do it as a job lot.

It depends if the DPF is clogged or whether it's something like the pressure sensor. That went on the OHs A6 - we were dreading it being the DPF but 100 quid later and all sorted.

If you decide to get the DPF removed and the car mapped then I would strongly recommend @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. . He mapped my car and at the same time the DPF was removed and gutted and the EGR deleted. My brief to him was get as much out of it as you can but keep it reliable, and thats exactly what I got.
The car drives so much better for this and does more mpg. No more regens to worry about, passes the MOT with no issues, better performance and more mpg, whats not to like.
He's in Stockport not that far from Manchester airport so an easy run, I live in Cannock and I looked around quite a bit before deciding where to go.
You might be able to get it done a bit cheaper somewhere else but it won't be as good a job as Rick does.

Karl.

Reactions: Gaz170
I've been told that if I was to get DPF removed, the car would definitely fail MOT. is this correct?

To pass an MOT a car originally manufactured with a DPF needs to have a DPF, but this is a purely visual check, as long as you just gut the existing DPF then it will pass that part of the test. The MOT tester is not allowed to remove any engine covers or other covers so if it's obscured then it doesn't even need to be there.
The other part of the test is a smoke test, the levels set for smoke tests are well above what a normal diesel thats running correctly will produce. A car has to be chucking out quite a bit of smoke to fail on the smoke test.
As long as the car hasn't been remapped by a monkey it will pass with no issues.
My car had lower smoke readings than my wifes 2005 1.4D Yaris that also has no DPF.

Reactions: gray99y and Gaz170
Thanks slackworth I have thought of that to try too. That's why I've had the code reset to see if it flags up again, and then I'll change the pressure sensor.

And cheers Karl, was it all done in a day? And what sort of money are we talking, just so I can pitch it as a good reason to the mrs if the time does come. .

MOT side of things wouldn't be a problem to me. Just don't want to spend a fortune for little gain.

Work was all done in one day, Rick has a dyno useful for seeing the gains. Although my car is a quattro so all the mapping was done live on the road.
Contact Rick for a price I think you are looking around £500-600 but it depends how much work is involved with the DPF removal and the mapping.

Karl.

Sounds ideal Karl cheers. Any idea what sort of gains I'd be looking at? (i know you're a 3.0ltr man but you seem knowledgeable about power gains after reading your impressive thread).

I've never really had any issues with any other cars at MOT time regarding cats and dpfs etc. But I've also got some good MOT friends too!

I would of thought you would be looking at 175-180 bhp possibly more it depends on the capabilities of the turbo, some of the newer 2.0 TDI engines have decent size turbos that can provide quite a bit more air than standard so when mapped quite large gains can be made. Getting rid of the DPF helps a lot to free up the engine.
Have a word with Rick he will have more of an idea.

Karl.

I had DPF problems with my 2007 Passat. 2.0TDI 170bhp First light came up after 4-5 months from purchase. I bought DPF cleaner and did 30mins run with high revs. It worked......for another 2-3 months. Did it again but every time it was shorter till next light coming up. At some point it was up every 1-2 weeks! I had enough and I decided to replace DPF. Volkswagen's prices were ridiculous. I went for a replacement DPF and it was good choice. I got it replaced and never had any problems again, I've sold the car about a year after replacement. Car passed MOT with no problems as well.

If anyone would like to go the same way just PM me and I will give you details of the DPF place I bought mine from. They cost about 350-400 including delivery.

Paul, out of curiosity, how long warranty are you giving for a cleaned DPF?