JD Power UK Dependability Survey 2015

For the third time, it's not specifically related to the survey or indeed this thread - we have an ongoing difference of opinion (which stems from the 'Why did you buy an Audi' thread) and since then, whenever our paths have crossed, he can't resist a dig at Audi and I in turn can't resist taking the bait and having a pop at his trolling.

For what it's worth, I'll call a truce, it's not worth the agro or the time it takes writing replies on a smartphone!

Again, not factually correct.

I had no such dig at you in this thread. It was the reverse - you chose to have a go.

And I also think you'll find that I do not "dig" at Audi (or people) unsolicited.

I only respond when someone has a go at me, or when someone posts about the the foibles/flaws of my cars - in that situation I respond with my views, which of course, I'm perfectly entitled to do!

Reactions: Blackwhite
Again, not factually correct.

I had no such dig at you in this thread. It was the reverse - you chose to have a go.

And I also think you'll find that I do not "dig" at Audi (or people) unsolicited.

I only respond when someone has a go at me, or when someone posts about the the foibles/flaws of my cars - in that situation I respond with my views, which of course, I'm perfectly entitled to do!
I didn't say you had a dig at me. You've even quoted what I actually said. Either way, refer back to post #39 which has slipped away unnoticed...

If I truly had wanted to have a "dig" at Audi, my thread title would have been something like:

"OMG Audi is near bottom of JD Power Survey 2015 - what terrible cars" or similar.

Instead, it was a neutral
"JD Power Dependibility Survey 2015"
With 3 diverse links from different diverse sources (newspaper, fleet perspective etc.)
With no comment, barbed or otherwise, made by myself.

I appreciate its a nice day, but you can't go onto a (any) forum (or pub) and hurl accusations around and not expect peope to defend themselves, especially if they are untrue!

If I truly had wanted to have a "dig" at Audi, my thread title would have been something like:

"OMG Audi is near bottom of JD Power Survey 2015 - what terrible cars" or similar.

Instead, it was a neutral
"JD Power Dependibility Survey 2015"
With 3 diverse links from different diverse sources (newspaper, fleet perspective etc.)
With no comment, barbed or otherwise, made by myself.

I appreciate its a nice day, but you can't go onto a (any) forum (or pub) and hurl accusations around and not expect peope to defend themselves, especially if they are untrue!
For the 4th time, I'm not talking about comments made in THIS post - yes, I admit I had a tongue in cheek pop at you on here, but we do have history:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?threads/247820/

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?threads/249262/

#CantBeArsedAnymore

^ The two threads your quoted -

1 is a difference of opinion on whether Audi is a premium brand (I say not per se) - I'd hardly call that me having a go at you...

The second, I'll admit on the face of it, for someone coming in raw - looks like me accusing you of badge snobbery. Like you say, many things are misinterpreted on a forum, but for those who have been around a long time, will know that the phrase "Don't be a badge snob" stems from a long-running joke between myself and another member (who can't bear to be seen driving a VW) - and has been used regularly by myself and other members to good effect. I can see how that might have looked to someone coming in cold without the context.

^ The two threads your quoted -

1 is a difference of opinion on whether Audi is a premium brand (I say not per se) - I'd hardly call that me having a go at you...

The second, I'll admit on the face of it, for someone coming in raw - looks like me accusing you of badge snobbery. Like you say, many things are misinterpreted on a forum, but for those who have been around a long time, will know that the phrase "Don't be a badge snob" stems from a long-running joke between myself and another member (who can't bear to be seen driving a VW) - and has been used regularly by myself and other members to good effect. I can see how that might have looked to someone coming in cold without the context.
Re: the first point, you were not having a go at me and not have I ever said that you have - I have always implied you appear to enjoy having a pop at Audi - which stems from the second post you've quoted.

Anyway, like I said earlier, this is a little pointless and there's enough hate in the world. I don't know you from Adam, we might actually get on like a house on fire in the real world so let's just call it quits, wipe the slate clean and start again.

Remember folks, some forum members here are also disgruntled customers and therefore do what they can to paint a negative picture. If you can filter through the 'propaganda' you'll see the game. Some of them are also quick to play the 'personal attack' card to guilt you into conceding. It's so predictable now it makes me laugh.

Reactions: Muttley75
Remember folks, some forum members here are also disgruntled customers and therefore do what they can to paint a negative picture. If you can filter through the 'propaganda' you'll see the game. Some of them are also quick to play the 'personal attack' card to guilt you into conceding. It's so predictable now it makes me laugh.

It's very simple, stick to discussing the car, or the topic, and there will be no umbrage from either side :p

Dispense with personalising the issue(s).

For whats it worth, I am a lifelong Audi owner - having owned several Audi's, a bit of a fanboy, you might say :)

Reactions: Blackwhite
Really, I'm not. Opinions are like ears, we all have them. Obviously cleaned that quote up a bit. ;)

Back to topic.

For those who are interested in reliability/dependibility surveys, the other UK benchmark used, especially among used/older cars 3+years, the Warranty Wise Reliability Index is useful.

JD Power, like any other survey, does have its foibles, as does Warranty Wise data, however, they remain the best data available despite this.

Based on actual breakdowns and warranty data, the Warranty Direct Reliability Index places Audi as a manufacturer for fault free motoring, 34 out of 39. The index mainly reflects cars 3+ years. Sample size 50,000+ cars.

http://blog.warrantydirect.co.uk/20...e-most-reliable-cars-in-britain/#.Vcd2wVlH2Rt

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

The Reliability Index score is calculated on a combination of vehicle criteria:
• Frequency of failure
• Cost of repair
• Duration of repairs
• Average age and mileage

The top 100 cars in the Reliability Index:
http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

Because the A3 8V isn't old enough yet to feature in this dataset, the nearest we have is the A3 8P platform. However, given that they have been making this variant since 2003, you would have hoped that they would have sorted out issues by now:

dz04olw.jpg

Most reliable car I ever had was a 1998 Volvo S40, never went wrong, not one thing in 6 years.

Most reliable car I ever had was a 1998 Volvo S40, never went wrong, not one thing in 6 years.
Vauxhall Astra 1.8 SRi (05 plate, bought in 2006, sold in 2010) for me. Most unreliable was a 2000 BMW 318i, bought in 2003 (just outside warranty) with 24k on the clock. The disa valve broke up and ended up falling into the cylinder, buggering the engine after 18 months (34k mileage). I had it patched up for £600 (BMW wanted to put a new engine in, for £3k) and traded it in asap for the Astra. I lost nearly £8k inside two years on that BM in depreciation and maintenance. The air con packed up and the electric windows broke too...

This article which is in the Daily Mail, so it must be true suggests Audi fare badly compared to say, Skoda because the high tech gadgetry is what goes wrong. However, most gadgets are standard kit on Skodas and expensive options on Audi so I'm not sure that argument stands up?

Want car reliability? Buy a Skoda or Kia, JD Power report reveals http://dailym.ai/1Neq5Cy

I really should berate you for supplying a link to what I affectionately call The Comic!!
Are there any new cars these days that don't have BT as standard?
Having said that my mate just took delivery of a Merc C220 AMG Prestige Plus, so top of the range spec. Fully loaded. Where's he going tomorrow?? Merc service as his technology is faulty!! Voice activation is activating anything and his BT keeps dropping out. So the article may have some relevance!!

Knew you'd find/know one! :blow:

Nah, the Daily Mail online takes the comic book prize. The Sun just prints the same stuff the next day. Check it out. Go on DMO tomorrow and then buy The Sun on Tuesday. You'll be reading the same stuff. :sign hijacked:

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Bristle Hound
Other than the 'noisy' door on my current A3 none of my other eight A3 or three other Audi's have had any problems at all. The 'noisy' door perhaps took a little longer than it should have done to fix but it was fixed in the end and did not affect the actual running of the car.
Would I buy another Audi. As long as they continue to offer a car that I like and offer me the options that I want then most definitely. The thing that would stop me buying another Audi would not be anything to do with reliability but the interior design. If they came up with an interior that I did not like I would probably look elsewhere. The first stop would be one of the other VW Group brands.

Reactions: Scottyg
All cars go wrong. Some more frequently than others.

It's how they are sorted that makes the difference.

@Snibo had to have an argument in getting his leaking shock absorber replaced under warranty, on his new Audi. Which is shocking (pun intended)

The other factor in customer satisfaction rating on the JD Power survey is how you are dealt with by the dealership.

Reactions: Snibo
All cars go wrong. Some more frequently than others.

It's how they are sorted that makes the difference.

@Snibo had to have an argument in getting his leaking shock absorber replaced under warranty, on his new Audi. Which is shocking (pun intended)

The other factor in customer satisfaction rating on the JD Power survey is how you are dealt with by the dealership.
I think the dealership is probably more responsible than Audi themselves - how many warranty claims get knocked back by the dealer without ever making it as far as Audi? Remember, Audi provide the parts FOC and they only pay the dealership a miserly hourly rate for the labour, as such dealers hate doing warranty work for say £20 an hour when it's using valuable workshop space they could be charging £60 an hour for. Thinking about it, that may well be another factor. With Skoda labour rates much less than Audis, their dealers don't have so much to lose. Of course it's totally unacceptable, but may explain some background to the headlines.

I think that in this 'modern' age the customers in general are much more demanding in general and have high expectations.

Last edited:

And the fun and games getting my V5C (Logbook) changed from an A4 Petrol to an A3 Diesel.

As has been said, it's how they deal with these issues when they arise that gives you the confidence in the Dealer / Brand.
All well and good those who have been lucky enough to have experienced no problem.

You may change your tune when the resolution doesn't go as efficiently / effectively as you would hope.

Would I recommend Audi - Nope, not on my experience to date.
The Table shows the reality in my experience and Audi have come out at the correct place.
Audi is really not the place for the private buyer in my view.

Hi Veeeight, I see you get into a bit of a boxing match with some on here, but not starting one now.

You clearly have had some really bad faults occur. I see you mentioned you had owned a number of Audi's before but this latest one has tipped you over the edge.

I am curious.

It was the disappointment with the faults and the S3 ? or with the dealers. Perhaps the S3 was the wrong car for you. I see the S3 as a small family hatchback that has a bit of fun when you want it. I do not see it as a "sports car" . I see @ThefifthElement has found that and gone for a real sports car.

I do though feel the dealers , being the front line are maybe a big part of the issue. Have you approached Audi UK and given them the catalouge of the problems you have had. If you did was their reaction also poor.?

On the US sites for Audi I do not see so many complaints about reliability , maybe the dealers have to reacte better due to the Lemon laws.

For those of us sticking with Audi , we can only hope they up their game and deal with people with issues correctly and ensure faults are rectified and resolved with their suppliers.. and those lucky ones without faults (hopefully the majority) will continue to enjoy their cars.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Scottyg
The dealers are an important factor here. I've had great support from Audi Aberdeen in the past so I'm happy, but there are dealers of other makes that I'd never go near again as the experience was horrendous.

Hi Veeeight, I see you get into a bit of a boxing match with some on here, but not starting one now.
I am curious.

It was the disappointment with the faults and the S3 ? or with the dealers. Perhaps the S3 was the wrong car for you. I see the S3 as a small family hatchback that has a bit of fun when you want it. I do not see it as a "sports car" . I see @ThefifthElement has found that and gone for a real sports car.

Hi musicegbdf & gbdfa ;)

I don't want to derail this thread with my issues, so here are some links to my previous gripes about the car.
Enjoy!
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/why-did-you-buy-an-s3.244972/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/does-anyone-like-their-s3.243938/page-5#post-2454586
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-to-cayman.240179/#post-2407250
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-a3-ride-handling-honest-opinions.240977/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/coilovers-for-the-8v.241997/

Years ago I had a Corvette
(Chevrolet) Awesome sports car. Crazy fast and
I didn't even slow down around corners.Stuck to
the road like glue.

VX Peter Vardy Aberdeen per chance?

Try Peter Vardy LR Aberdeen!
They NEVER return phonecalls or emails. They never did half of what they promised when I bought my Evoque.

Like chalk and cheese compared to Aberdeen Audi. - they were superb.

I've heard Peter Vardy up there for any manufacturer is just awful. Sales is just ok but afters is simply horrendous.