Just got an A4! A couple questions from a newbie.

LordOfTheRings

Reaction score
Hello folks! I'm very happy I found this forum, it actually looks alive and active unlike my regional forums. So I hope I can join the club even though I'm not from your part of the globe :)

So, I've got a late 2003 A4 B6 sedan, FWD (not quattro), 1.8T (BFB, 163 hp), stick, 127 000 miles, and it's my first car. Beats the korean cars hands down (I've got to drive two recently).

I've got 3 questions about 3 odd sounds I've noticed the car make. Of course, I did not notice them during numerous drives with the previous owner. Does anything in my [vague] description sound familiar to you?
1. This is best described as a very quiet rasping or gritting non-periodic sound under the hood. Really quiet but distinct. It appears and disappears randomly (the on/off interval is on the order of dozen seconds). Doesn't seem to be coming from the engine (I hope that's a good sign?). I'm 95% sure it's coming from this area: http://i.imgur.com/hrFTaZ0.jpg?1
2. I don't have much experience, but this is certainly the most odd sound I've ever heard in car. It's a reasonably quiet hum that seems to be coming from the car's rear after braking with the main brake from decent speed (like stopping on a traffic light from 30 MPH or more). Sometimes it lasts for a couple seconds after I release the brake and stop; once it lasted a dozen seconds after I completely stopped and put the car in neutral. The sound is definitely related to braking. My colleague (a very experienced driver who's teaching me to drive) has said: "It's as if something spins up as we brake, then takes time to run out and hums while spinning". I assured him the car has no KERS system - because that could explain the noise :)
3. There's a squeaking sound coming from the front of the car when I'm trying to put load on the engine and the RPM are way too low. Example: I shift from 2nd to 3rd too soon, there's 800 RPM on tachometer, I press the accelerator and the squeaking starts as the engine is unable to accelerate the car because it has no torque at such low RPM. It doesn't happen over 1100 RPM where the engine starts making torque. The sound is very similar to squeaking of the power steering belt that my colleagues has had in his car for a long time. In fact, I think it is a belt, just don't know which one and whether or not I should be alarmed.
Of note: I have attended a service station before purchasing the car and got a pretty long list of things to fix. Among them was the generator belt. I have not replaced it yet. Could that be it?

P. S. I should not let the RPMs drop too low as I'm cruising, right? That harms the engine? I've noticed that the engine makes good torque at 1200 already and I have no problem accelerating from those RPM on the second gear, or even starting to move from standstill. And that's probably a bad thing because the engine doesn't signal me that I'm doing something wrong so I must pay special attention to the revs. So, what's my lowest target I shouldn't fall under? 1500 RPM, perhaps?..

Last edited:
Talked to the previous owner. The sound #2 is of unknown origin, but it has appeared after he replaced the fuel pump. We decided to replace the fuel filter (it's time to do that anyway) and see if it goes away. The sound #3 is definitely the alternator belt, which I'll also replace. The sound #1 is of unknown origin, but it could have something to do with the carter gases ventilation system (which has a valve which could explain the sound disappearing and re-appearing).

Welcome to the forum..

1. Does this sound watery at all?

2. You sure this is coming from the rear? Sounds a lot like the vacuum pump to me, try turning the engine off next time it happens and see if it goes off or carries on..

3. You should probably stay out of this rev range to avoid damage, but i think you've answered your own question there, it's the aux belt

1. No, I couldn't say so. It's an entirely dry sound as far as I can describe it.

2. Not sure. It's actually hard to pinpoint, the sound seems to fill the interior of the car. Where is the vacuum pump located? If it is indeed the pump, does it mean I must replace it? Or some other parts around it? Will turn the engine next time.
By the way, now that I think about I realize: I've driven some 50 km today, both in and out of the city, with some pretty intense brakings, and never heard that sound. Or at least never noticed.

3. Absolutely, just newbie's mistakes. So what should be my lowest RPM under load? And yeah, it must be the belt cause the sound is very characteristic. Will replace it during the upcoming big ($700+) service.

Thanks for help!

1 may just be the injectors making their usual sound. Quite loud on the petrol engines..

Vacuum pump is right down in the front right corner of the engine bay.

700!?!? OUCH! :sos:

So are you from Korea?

1 may just be the injectors making their usual sound. Quite loud on the petrol engines.
I wouldn't think so. It definitely comes from the air filter area, not the engine.

700!?!? OUCH! :sos:
Yep. In fact, it's more of a minor maintenance, but an extensive one in terms of the sheer number of the parts to be replaced. The most expensive items are engine mounts (~$220 if I buy 2 right ones instead of left + right), one of the front axle arms (~$85), camshaft drive chain with the chain tensioning device (~$75). Plus some smaller suspension parts and engine stuff like the valve lid gasket. Parts + work hours totals at over $600. But I didn't include all the filters that I will also be replacing, so $700 is more like it.
All in all, I'd say the car was well cared for and is in good working order. The engine runs great, the oil consumption is on the low side for 1.8T, the clutch has been replaced recently etc.

So are you from Korea?
Ukraine. And as if that wasn't enough, my salary is 5 to 10 times lower than yours, so $700 is a solid half the monthly income. And then, of course, another $150 goes towards painting the chipped areas of the body paint. But hey, it's a luxury German car, I don't complain. I knew it will cost me some, and I knew the expenses before deciding to purchase this one (visited a service station for a full examination of the car before buying it).

Oh, one more question: should I replace all the liquids? The engine coolant? The brake fluid? The power steering fluid? The oil in the gearbox (MT)? The oil in the differential? On that note, do FWD cars even have a serviceable differential like the RWD cars do in the rear axle?

Last edited: