Too loud at start up

Is there any reason why you would need to leave an RS3 running for 5-10 minutes before setting off? A neighbour of ours does this every morning and as you can imagine being woken up by the noise is one thing but then listening to it idling for ages after that becomes annoying.
I would have thought doing this would do more harm than good with a modern engine. Does anyone have any idea?

Reactions: Radman
Is there any reason why you would need to leave an RS3 running for 5-10 minutes before setting off? A neighbour of ours does this every morning and as you can imagine being woken up by the noise is one thing but then listening to it idling for ages after that becomes annoying.
I would have thought doing this would do more harm than good with a modern engine. Does anyone have any idea?

Your self absorbed neighbour wants everyone to know theyve got one, perhaps the novelty will wear off in time !

Perhaps to get the oil temperature up gently, so that once he does set off, he can floor it immediately. Stick a note through his letterbox.

That's daft tho Andy as the gearbox is still stone cold and the tyres and brakes

Reactions: 45bvtc and deanshaw24
The best thing to do is start driving straight away and take it easy until everything's up to temp

Reactions: 45bvtc, EdmundVR4, Spaceman_RS3 and 1 other person
He will do more harm than good doing that. Never a good idea to keep car idling cold. Engine had to be worked gently to ensure proper lubrication of contact parts. Also moving parts are needed to move above idle to promote thermal expansion of the oil

Reactions: 45bvtc
A great noise though isn't it?

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Perhaps get in it and drive off? He might think twice next time!

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3

Yeah, pointless idling in 5-10 min is unnecessary better to start driving the car to warm it up and it warms up faster as well so win/win to both you and neighbours :).

That's daft tho Andy as the gearbox is still stone cold and the tyres and brakes

The best thing to do is start driving straight away and take it easy until everything's up to temp

He will do more harm than good doing that. Never a good idea to keep car idling cold. Engine had to be worked gently to ensure proper lubrication of contact parts. Also moving parts are needed to move above idle to promote thermal expansion of the oil

Whatever your thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not, that doesn't mean it's not the reason he's idling his car for 10 minutes each morning. His commute may be fairly short and by the time he's taken it easy for 10 minutes, he's already arrived at work. It might not be ideal, but probably better than flooring it from cold if he set off immediately.

Back to HJS original question. I noticed this revving issue when starting the car at 5.30am no matter which mode it is in. Not wishing to disturb the neighbours at that hour of the day and after trying various methods, I have settled on the following which seems to work roughly 75% of the time.
Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. Wait a few seconds until most of the dashboard warning lights go out. Press the brake pedal and start the engine. Immediately take your foot off the brake pedal the instant the engine starts to turn, before it actually kicks into life.
Maybe it's my imagination but this seems to work most of the time regardless of settings / engine temperature.

Back to HJS original question. I noticed this revving issue when starting the car at 5.30am no matter which mode it is in. Not wishing to disturb the neighbours at that hour of the day and after trying various methods, I have settled on the following which seems to work roughly 75% of the time.
Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. Wait a few seconds until most of the dashboard warning lights go out. Press the brake pedal and start the engine. Immediately take your foot off the brake pedal the instant the engine starts to turn, before it actually kicks into life.
Maybe it's my imagination but this seems to work most of the time regardless of settings / engine temperature.

So you mean by that the choke doesn't get involved? It sounds really odd though because its the cold engine which is forcing/activates it, not some pattern how you start it. Imagination can fool people in many different ways as sound for instance and louder sound usually means faster car/motobike, although a dyno can show completely the opposite, just saying.

It's revving higher initially for a reason. Tricking it not to doesn't sound a good idea. It only seems to do it for 30 seconds or so. I'm usually not in that much of a rush so let it settle down before pulling off, using that 30 seconds to set the radio and temp controls!

Reactions: AudiNutta
if you want a quieter start in the morning I would suggest that you buy the MTM exhaust module.

with this remote control of the exhaust flaps you can close the flaps in cold starts and your neighbours will sleep better.

in fact, I like this MTM module for 2 reasons.

1st reason is the stated before.
2nd reason is the possibility of having the flaps open in comfort mode ore individual mode with comfort sound so the exhaust is fully open but crackles and pops disappear.
and really,that's why I like this MTM device.
Great sound without disturbing pops!

regards

Reactions: Nickyc
Perhaps I should clarify. When starting the car revs to around 3k before settling down to the "choke out" level for 30 seconds or so then it settles to normal tick over. It is the initial rev up to 3k that HJS and I were concerned with. I'm happy that my technique works more often than not. Just trying to be helpful.

It is neither the extra revs or the flaps (which will always be shut on start up) but the fact that the injection is split and ignition retarted. This makes it rich and fire with the exhaust valves open to warm up the cats

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terminator x
bqik. I have pm'd you about your mtm module so Im not hijacking the ops post.