3.0tdi radiator fan never comes on

LukeC981

Reaction score
I have an issue which causes the turbo to cut out if I drive the car from cold, get it up to temp, then turn it off and try to drive it again before it has fully cooled.

After £360 worth of diags at Audi, they couldn't find any issues with it and threw down the 'faulty turbo' card. After speaking to people on here I tried the Innotec route and upon inspecting the turbo, it was caked in carbon. The turbo is now gleaming after using it, but it still didn't fix my problem.

A friend mentioned that he'd never heard my radiator fan come on and at that point I realised I haven't either. While we were waiting for his misses to pick him up, I left my car running (it was up to temp at this point) and for 20 mins of sitting still, still no fan. The fuse in the drivers side panel in the dash have been checked and that's fine, I haven't checked in the engine bay if there are any with regards to the fan, but wondered if there's anything else I should be looking for?

Cheers guys.

You can check if the fan works at all by switching on the Aircon, the fan should always be on with the air con working. DERVS are also less likely to get hot compared to petrol engines if you don't drive it hard.

Temp sensor fault? Is the fan electric? Have you checked to see if voltage is getting to the fan when you'd expect it to be on?

The temp gauge inside works perfectly and I would assume the fan is electric because there is a fan control relay and module. There's also a plug going into the top of it so I guess that would be first port of call, I'll get the fluke out on it tomorrow when I get into work.

You can check if the fan works at all by switching on the Aircon, the fan should always be on with the air con working. DERVS are also less likely to get hot compared to petrol engines if you don't drive it hard.

My air con works perfectly, I've just had to replace the high pressure switch to get it back I'll have a look tomorrow if the fan works with the air con on. If the fan doesn't work, any ideas what it could be?

EGR clogged? DPF mangled? Get rid of the EGR and DPF, mr muscle the turbo then get it all mapped out.

Generic answer but if Audi hasn't given fault code's it's hard for anyone here to pinpoint a problem and these are two things our car's shouldn't have in the first place. Wouldn't worry about the fan mine's stuck on or off depending on whether it's plugged in due to a dodgy map (and it's generally not plugged in as I don't want it burning out) and it hasn't made any difference.

£360 for diagnostics :blink: could of got Vag Com and had cash to spare towards the resolution, can't believe they charge that.

Some details would've helped about the car I guess. Here goes:

EGR has been blanked, car doesn't have a DPF, running a dummy cat (pipe welded into centre of it), with full turbo back exhaust. Currently mapped to 270bhp and 520nm of torque. Could've gone to 300bhp and 560nm but wanted to play it safe

Audi only checked fault codes after I'd told them to and they came up with the exact same ones I've already got from my £9 Elm 327 OBD reader and iCan on my iPhone. As you can imagine I wasn't exactly impressed

It comes up with P0234 which is a 'regulation range not reached' however, it's an overboost fault. Going from having enough torque to give me a facelift to absolutely nothing is getting a little frustrating now as you can probably imagine

The temp gauge inside works perfectly and I would assume the fan is electric because there is a fan control relay and module. There's also a plug going into the top of it so I guess that would be first port of call, I'll get the fluke out on it tomorrow when I get into work.

My air con works perfectly, I've just had to replace the high pressure switch to get it back I'll have a look tomorrow if the fan works with the air con on. If the fan doesn't work, any ideas what it could be?
The fan itself is Pooped or the wiring to it.

Some details would've helped about the car I guess. Here goes:

EGR has been blanked, car doesn't have a DPF, running a dummy cat (pipe welded into centre of it), with full turbo back exhaust. Currently mapped to 270bhp and 520nm of torque. Could've gone to 300bhp and 560nm but wanted to play it safe

Audi only checked fault codes after I'd told them to and they came up with the exact same ones I've already got from my £9 Elm 327 OBD reader and iCan on my iPhone. As you can imagine I wasn't exactly impressed

It comes up with P0234 which is a 'regulation range not reached' however, it's an overboost fault. Going from having enough torque to give me a facelift to absolutely nothing is getting a little frustrating now as you can probably imagine
A little off subject but as far as I was aware audi dealers charge a standard £60 for vcds fault scan. If that's all they did for you I'd be onto audi UK for a complaint/refund.