A4 CVT 1.8T

I

IrishA4T

Hi All,

Have had the Avant for just over a year 2004 plate 1.8T and covered 59k mileage but recently i have stated to hear a whirring / whine noise coming from the engine when i accelerate.

I thought i would post on hear and regularly read on "How To" posts but dont see anything relating to what i have:

Symptoms:

1. Noise only seems to appear at 25MPH plus and when the accelerator is pushed and the rpm goes above 1200.

2. There is a slight noise but not as loud when you take the foot of the gas and it free runs.

3. No Vibrations and smoke from Exhaust

Does anyone know of common issue with the 6 speed CVT that i can try and sort before going to the mechanic and having my *** handed to me?

I suspect it is bearing realted and dont know if its transmission / gearbox, belt related and or alternator etc?

Cheers

Neil

I have a similar issue, will be fault finding this weekend. Is the noise still there if you put the car in neutral while rolling at say 40 mph or is it directly related to engine speed? noisier in any particular gear?

If it's not engine speed related then it's likely a wheel bearing.

If engine speed related then It could well be coming from something on the serpentine belt circuit, AC compressor, Power steering pump, alternator, tensioner pulley. A good way to eliminate this is remove the belt and hand turn all pulleys to feel for resistance, crunching noises. You could run the engine with it off to test if your still not sure.

If you don't want to take the belt off, use a long screwdriver up against your ear and touch it to the various items on the serp belt (DONT TOUCH THE BELT OR ANYTHING MOVING) you'll be surprised at what you can hear.

Try turning off AC. And make sure the radio is off :)

Could be fuel pump if the noise is constant.

it's really a process of elimination.

Cheers Mate,

Will have a look at those tonight and hopefully diagnose what it is..

With Shifting into Neutral on an automatic gearbox.. i assume it can be done and not screw the box up?

Cheers

Neil

It is a constant noise when in gear and keeping it at 30mph say around 1500 rpm.. when i accelerate it gets a little louder but when i free roll at that speed it disappears..

Only seems to happen when at acceleration or speed, will try take a audio of it later and see if it can be heard..

Video off the noise about 20 seconds in on acceleration. i lift my foot off and on and you can hear its only present on accelerating past 30 mph at that time

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't make the noise in Neutral, tried it and its only seeming to appear on power to the wheels..