Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I'd expect a bumper change

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I'd make do with a repair job

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

S32B

Reaction score
I took my S3 into Audi today for their warranty guy to look at a paint defect on my rear bumper, the defect is only on the plastic arch over the rear wheel. He had a look and took it off to see if it would polish out, he came back and it was a bit better but still visible.

To be fair he did offer to do a repair on it, but advised that it would probably be more noticable as they would be breaking the original paint and I'd probably notice the match/join/shade of paint. We all know that once broken things don't ever match up 100%, so I said I don't want to go that route.

I asked if Audi would change the entire bumper as the car is only five months old and it's obviously left the factory like that. He said that they wouldn't, because they wouldn't be able to see the defect in the pictures to OK the claim.
So when I got home I took some more pictures, so am I overly picky or can you see the defect, what outcome would you expect?

I'll add a poll to this thread as I may contact Audi UK direct and link them to this & your thoughts (you'll have 2 votes).

IMG 2558
IMG 2562
IMG 2565
IMG 2568

Thanks guys :)

I actually have some areas on front bumper similar to this. On my front bumper where meets the inside corner of headlights and a wee bit on side close to arch. I was given the same ultimatum of patch repair that would look rubbish.. or live with it. I have chosen to live with it.. Maybe I should have complained more but tbh it's on my front bumper which will end up getting chipped to heck and would need a respray at some point in future anyway.

Yours looks more substantial so defo push for a replacement! Good luck!

Cheers ;) I sent the above pics to the dealership and asked if they could push Audi UK for a new bumper, he's just got back to me saying that the factory wants more pictures of the full panel further away. Those have now been sent.

At least they are onto it the same day!

I can see what looks like loads of dots or it could be the picture ? Right in the area where the reflection of your phone is I guess this is it.

I'd maybe say try a repair first and see how that goes. In my mind a break in the paint is less of an issue on a plastic part.

I had similar on my S1, they just repaired/resprayed the bumper. In fairness you wouldn't even notice it now.

Reactions: S32B
I can see what looks like loads of dots or it could be the picture ? Right in the area where the reflection of your phone is I guess this is it.
Yeah that's it, right on the flat part, looks like white is seeping through the black and coming to the surface.

You have an amazing mirror shine on it !!

Yep I'd be in your camp and want something done with it.

You have an amazing mirror shine on it !!

Cheers mate, my pride and joy...hence why that area now sticks out like a sore thumb when I walk to the car :(

Before the rain:

1-jpg.65512

Reactions: Pulp84 and Rob2k68
Now that the "dots" have been pointed out, I can see what you mean, and no I wouldn't be happy either.

I had a very slight paint defect on the rear door on my S3 (Misano Red) when I got it. Body shop told me the same thing about matching the paint, and asked if they could try a wet sand and buff first, to which I agreed. Came out perfectly.

As for Audi not being able to see the defect, because mine was a very small mark, what he did was stick a piece of masking tape under the defect and mark with an arrow - was easier to see then.

View of my dealer was that if the sand/buff didn't work, then they would approach Audi regards a re-spray and didn't see an issue (mind the car was only 3 weeks old at the time)

If it is mended correctly then you will never know. After owning my S3 for only 6 weeks last year someone must have scraped against my rear bumper in a car park and removed the paint, the mark was very small but it had removed the paint nonetheless. I took it to a local bodyshop who sprayed the whole bumper, you would never know, and I am veery fussy!!

Push for the respray properly, not a patch repair as that will probably annoy you more than what it is like currently.

I'm not sure what the problem is, I wonder if it's an issue from when it was lacquered in the factory and something has been caught below the surface.

44d8c6f549513249c496ff3fee77bc5f.jpg
there is my paint defect they have tried sorting and made it worse I wish I had just left it. Going back Tomorrow for the paint guys to look at the work they have carried out and not been told a date when I will get the car back only had the car 1 month. Also when the car was in the garage they have been using the car is there was 20 more miles on the clock and stone chips all over the bummer not a happy guy at all.

I took my S3 into Audi today for their warranty guy to look at a paint defect on my rear bumper, the defect is only on the plastic arch over the rear wheel. He had a look and took it off to see if it would polish out, he came back and it was a bit better but still visible.

To be fair he did offer to do a repair on it, but advised that it would probably be more noticable as they would be breaking the original paint and I'd probably notice the match/join/shade of paint. We all know that once broken things don't ever match up 100%, so I said I don't want to go that route.

I asked if Audi would change the entire bumper as the car is only five months old and it's obviously left the factory like that. He said that they wouldn't, because they wouldn't be able to see the defect in the pictures to OK the claim.
So when I got home I took some more pictures, so am I overly picky or can you see the defect, what outcome would you expect?

I'll add a poll to this thread as I may contact Audi UK direct and link them to this & your thoughts (you'll have 2 votes).

View attachment 66639 View attachment 66640 View attachment 66641 View attachment 66642

Thanks guys :)

Is it the green square or red circle you're talking about...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 284
Replacement bumpers dont come painted. The dealer will have to paint it, if its anything like Sepang it will never completely match. So your choise to do something or leave it.

Reactions: Pulp84
Really putting a lot to chance IMO with getting it resprayed and blended.

The reason I say this is at the moment it's a barely noticeable defect. Most people would need to be pointed to that specifically to spot it.

To get that bumper to blend with the rest of the car I would expect they will be blend with some other panels. It may be a good job or terrible. If you ask them to spray just the bumper it will be very unlikely it will match. Making things worse every time you look at the car.

My bonnet got keyed last year and I did considerable investigation on which body shop to use. I went with my dealer in the end as actually their work was spot on. However, on the edges where they blended the panel there are these very fine dots (like yours). I can only see them with my eye 3 to 4 inches from the panel but they are there. I have to live with them but it's part and parcel of a respray (and that's from a very good bodyshop). It will never be 100%.

I'd personally leave it. Unfortunately the "cure" can make things much, much worse.

Reactions: S32B and Blackwhite
Is it the green square or red circle you're talking about...?

Neither, the dots you point out are just dust specs from the polish they used when they tried to buff it out.

Replacement bumpers dont come painted. The dealer will have to paint it, if its anything like Sepang it will never completely match. So your choise to do something or leave it.
Yeah I know, I'd maybe risk a full bumper sprayed but not a part bumper!!!

A lot of bumpers look different depending on the colour, some don't even get sprayed in the same country let alone the same factory lol!

As a random example: Check the plastic bumpers vs metal on the car

media

Really putting a lot to chance IMO with getting it resprayed and blended.

The reason I say this is at the moment it's a barely noticeable defect. Most people would need to be pointed to that specifically to spot it.

To get that bumper to blend with the rest of the car I would expect they will be blend with some other panels. It may be a good job or terrible. If you ask them to spray just the bumper it will be very unlikely it will match. Making things worse every time you look at the car.

My bonnet got keyed last year and I did considerable investigation on which body shop to use. I went with my dealer in the end as actually their work was spot on. However, on the edges where they blended the panel there are these very fine dots (like yours). I can only see them with my eye 3 to 4 inches from the panel but they are there. I have to live with them but it's part and parcel of a respray (and that's from a very good bodyshop). It will never be 100%.

I'd personally leave it. Unfortunately the "cure" can make things much, much worse.

Very good post and food for thought, thank you. It doesn't help that part of my job is to spot defects on new cars!!! So you may be right in saying that most people wouldn't even notice it! I do but would I notice the repair even more?!?!?!

I'll see what they come back with and think it over...TBH I'm also thinking if they do respray/switch the bumper would they scratch the paint/chip an alloy etc. etc. in the process...then if they've broken a clip whilst removing the bumper will it rattle, will it be straight...the list goes on.

Reactions: Pulp84
I would annoyed at the issue with the paint but absolutely livid with the fact it's done 20 miles. Is the bodyshop on site? If so there's no reason for it to be have been driven. I would be in and demanding to see the business manager and wanting a full explanation.

Ye they say know one has drove the car apart from taking it to the body shop (around 1mile there and back if that). Waiting to see what they say on Monday this this the 2nd s3 I have had both had problems with did not think I was that unlucky absolutely gutted. Think they are just messing me about thinking they can get away with it because I am a young lad (just gone 24 ).considering asking for my money back if they don't start giving me answers!