Feeling short changed?

Agent57

Reaction score
Ok guys, Im currently awaiting delivery of an S3 and to be honest i can't wait!

It seems to me that a few people on here have had a few niggles when there car actually arrives, this being that something on the car was different to what was advertised in the brochure or online.

I will start the ball rolling by mentioning a couple of things that I have come across just by browsing the forum:

1: Advanced Key, the key you actually get is nothing like the fancy one pictured on the Audi configurator(now changed).

2: Stainless steel footplate: no where to be seen on RHD cars?

So what has everybody else noticed?

This has been debated on here a fair bit and could be specific to S-tronic plus I admit I never really read the brochure properly but the basic cruise control (non ACC) does not apply the brake to keep the speed constant.

Can't think of much else overall it has met my expectations.

Reactions: Ignition1 and Simon L
1: Advanced Key, the key you actually get is nothing like the fancy one pictured on the Audi configurator(now changed).

Perhaps because the one that was pictured wasn't a key at all...

I'm ok, there's nothing I was expecting that I didnt get......

My car will be delivered with more than it had when it was ordered/left the factory.

The one pictured was an A4 key
Ah, most people complaining about fancy keys are looking at the remote for the auxiliary heating option. I prefer the A3's key to the A4's anyway.

My car came with lunar silver leather but according to the build/configuration codethat l was given it had black leather

I was the opposite as I purchased a 3 month old car and found out that it also had mono pur and hold assist which weren't mentioned on the website.

I just want a quattro badge on the outside...anywhere will do :)

Reactions: Simon L
No headlamp washers in the A3.
Park Assist not even an option for a 2015 car, meanwhile just about every American car for 2015 has it.
LED Lights not an option for 2015 Premium Plus trim (now it's an option for 2016).

Headlamp washers are included in the UK if you have the Xenon headlight package. These, together with self-levelling, are required by law for any car fitted with Xenon headlights. My A3 has xenons so has both.
Park Assist is also available in the UK as part of the Audi Parking System Plus option. Audi Parking System rear and Audi Parking System Plus, front and rear are also both available as options as is a Reversing Camera.
Again LED headlights are also available as an option on all models.

Headlamp washers are included in the UK if you have the Xenon headlight package. These, together with self-levelling, are required by law for any car fitted with Xenon headlights. My A3 has xenons so has both.
Park Assist is also available in the UK as part of the Audi Parking System Plus option. Audi Parking System rear and Audi Parking System Plus, front and rear are also both available as options as is a Reversing Camera.
Again LED headlights are also available as an option on all models.

Well I guess you UK Audi drivers should have nothing to feel short changed about.

It's us Americans that got the shaft.

Well I guess you UK Audi drivers should have nothing to feel short changed about.

Do a trade on petrol prices?...or as you say over there gas prices :p

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L

Well, the Aussie versions are probably the best optioned as 'standard' , but we pay accordingly..... I believe the $52,000 - $60,000 US we pay might be slightly more than the US versions.

No headlamp washers in the A3.
Park Assist not even an option for a 2015 car, meanwhile just about every American car for 2015 has it.
LED Lights not an option for 2015 Premium Plus trim (now it's an option for 2016).

Are headlight washers actually effective? I can't imagine squirting a bit of water on them is actually going to shift anything but a coating of dust.

Are headlight washers actually effective? I can't imagine squirting a bit of water on them is actually going to shift anything but a coating of dust.
I see them coming in handy in the winter, when the headlights get covered in snow or get extremely dirty from the kick-back of salt off the roads.

another short change is the absent of dynamic tail light indication.

I love seeing the current Ford Mustangs show off this specialty. Shame too, seeing how it wouldn't have hurt a soul to include it as a option to turn off or on in the MMI settings.

Great car and mine updated to MY16 but if you ordered before the 8th edition brochure was issued in June /July then you very likely will have higher Co2 emissions which affects the BIK%.
Audi don't seem to be very worried about this and seem to think its fine because the new brochure clarifies the position!

.....but the basic cruise control (non ACC) does not apply the brake to keep the speed constant.....

I believe it doesn't on the A3's but I have the basic Cruise on my 2014 S3 and it most certainly does keep the speed constant going downhill with cruise engaged. In fact if I'm doing 70 with cruise on and the speed limit goes to 50, holding the cruise stalk down to set cruise at 50 and letting go, the car most certainly brakes!

My car definitely brakes going downhill with cruise on.

With headlight washers, there is only a legal requirement if the headlights emit over 2000 lumens. A lot of cars nowadays have xenons and no washers because they have 25W lamps. Some examples are Vauxhall Corsa, MINIs and Porsche Cayman/Boxster.

100% satisfied with mine and tbh if all you have to whinge about is a key then to me that speaks volumes for the quality of the car. Personally, I like the key anyway :)

Sure there's mechanical faults documented on other threads but to be fair you'll get that with all manufacturers and classically forums tend to focus on faults rather than those where things are all good and ASN is no different to any other in that respect.

I do agree about the SS footplate though and can't for the life of me understand why us RHD's missed out on that one.

Edit: actually you can scrub the mechanical cack from my post as that's not what the OP was talking about. Teach me to dive in without reading properly. (need to go back to bed to sleep off a rather chronic journey home from hols) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Bristle Hound
Well, the Aussie versions are probably the best optioned as 'standard' , but we pay accordingly..... I believe the $52,000 - $60,000 US we pay might be slightly more than the US versions.

Well in my opinion,"Audi spec Aussie style" have got it right,specing the car is easier,as everything is In " Packs" which simplyfies everything,as for costs of cars,you do stay a good bit away from Germany so shipping is far more expensive....lol

Reactions: Simon L
I believe it doesn't on the A3's but I have the basic Cruise on my 2014 S3 and it most certainly does keep the speed constant going downhill with cruise engaged. In fact if I'm doing 70 with cruise on and the speed limit goes to 50, holding the cruise stalk down to set cruise at 50 and letting go, the car most certainly brakes!
I never drove a vehicle with cruise control that does not keep current speed going downhill.

Yes the A3 does have it.
If your A3 isn't keeping it's cruise going down hill you ought to take that into an Audi dealer to get it looked at.

I never drove a vehicle with cruise control that does not keep current speed going downhill.

Yes the A3 does have it.
If your A3 isn't keeping it's cruise going down hill you ought to take that into an Audi dealer to get it looked at.

Mine works OK on my S3 (not A3), as I said in my post, where I was responding to Rob2K68 who suggested his didn't on his S3.

Must say though not all cars do keep their speed going downhill - the wife's A1 doesn't, her previous Fiesta didn't, other cars I've had in the past didn't always either. That's doesn't mean that cruise isn't working, it just means that they don't have that feature installed.

And not all A3's have it either, as on the 2 I had from Audi Assist when the Turbo, High Pressure Fuel Pump and 2 injectors decided to give up on my S3, they didn't do it either.

So it depends on the spec of the car as to whether they do or don't. All I was saying was that the standard cruise on my S3 does.

Well in my opinion,"Audi spec Aussie style" have got it right,specing the car is easier,as everything is In " Packs" which simplyfies everything,as for costs of cars,you do stay a good bit away from Germany so shipping is far more expensive....lol

yes shipping will add to the cost of cars here, but the european dealers have always charged a premium for their cars and more expensive the car the bigger the premium. For instance the difference in price between a M135 and S3 in the UK is about 200GBP, while the difference in Australia is at least $10,000 !

yes the packs are a good idea, just wish they included the ****** rear armrest on a car of this price.....

Reactions: Simon L and veeeight
My car definitely brakes going downhill with cruise on.

With headlight washers, there is only a legal requirement if the headlights emit over 2000 lumens. A lot of cars nowadays have xenons and no washers because they have 25W lamps. Some examples are Vauxhall Corsa, MINIs and Porsche Cayman/Boxster.
That may be valid in that circumstance but in this case, it's clear Audi was just compromising on the A3.

The S3 has headlight washers, the A3 doesn't here in the US.

As the US gets cut price cars compared to Europe it will be inevitable that corners will get trimmed somewhere. The A3 saloon/sedan starts at $30K over there whereas you'd be hard pushed to find a used one for less than £30K over here. Swings, roundabouts etc...

As the US gets cut price cars compared to Europe it will be inevitable that corners will get trimmed somewhere. The A3 saloon/sedan starts at $30K over there whereas you'd be hard pushed to find a used one for less than £30K over here. Swings, roundabouts etc...
I read that the reason foreign cars are cheaper here than over there is due population difference. Audi will coup more sales from North America than from Europe thus they can sell Audis/Benz/BMWs at a cheaper price.

I like to point out that Audi used the slogan "Stay Uncompromised" for the A3 and you mean to tell me that because there's a $10K difference between the A3 and S3 price they had to axe the headlamp washers.

I spent $42K on my A3, I could have got a S3 for that money.

Yes the A3 does have it.

Mine does not brake, nor do many other A3s with basic Cruise Control (CC).

However in conclusion on another thread it looks like =

Basic CC + S-Tronic = no braking. It just changes to a lower gear when going downhill (useless in my opinion).

Basic CC + Manual = automatic braking

Reactions: Rob2k68
I read that the reason foreign cars are cheaper here than over there is due population difference. Audi will coup more sales from North America than from Europe thus they can sell Audis/Benz/BMWs at a cheaper price.

I've heard some dubious reasons why just about all consumer products - cars, computers, software etc - are cheaper in USA but I've never heard that one! So if that were true then are cars cheaper in New York than Omaha because there are more people in the former? No it's simply because manufacturers sell at prices they think the market will stand. Years ago we paid even higher (relatively speaking) prices for our cars made in the UK - things like radios and heated rear screens were extra. But then people started to resist and some imported cars from the Continent. And of course the Japanese manufacturers offered more standard items on their cars. So the British car manufacturers were forced to offer better spec cars and the Europeans had to also. But we've a long way to go to reach the U.S. level of pricing.

Reactions: h5djr
I've heard some dubious reasons why just about all consumer products - cars, computers, software etc - are cheaper in USA but I've never heard that one! So if that were true then are cars cheaper in New York than Omaha because there are more people in the former?
It would be based on the population of our country totaled not a difference in population between cities, or even individual States.
There are many explanations but I think volume pricing and competition is key to why European cars are priced the way they are priced here in the US.

http://www.quora.com/Why-are-German-cars-more-expensive-in-Germany-than-in-the-US

Mine does not brake, nor do many other A3s with basic Cruise Control (CC).

However in conclusion on another thread it looks like =

Basic CC + S-Tronic = no braking. It just changes to a lower gear when going downhill (useless in my opinion).

Basic CC + Manual = automatic braking
I thought automatic braking was a feature of just Active Cruise Control.

My A3 maintains it's speed going up or downhill

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cruise-control.htm

I thought automatic braking was a feature of just Active Cruise Control.

My A3 maintains it's speed going up or downhill

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cruise-control.htm

Interesting article, though it doesn't refer to going downhill...only how a car with CC will control speed while going uphill.

ACC provides automatic braking on both S Tronic and Manuals.

CC seems to provide automatic braking on Manuals, but not on S-Tronics where it instead uses downshifts and engine braking to reduce speed.

My theory is that Audi prefer to use engine braking to slow down a car. The CC system has no access to the clutch in a Manual, so therefore it has access to the brakes to slow down while remaining in the same gear. In the S-Tronic - CC has access to the gearbox, so it does not need access to the brakes.

ACC has access to both in an S-Tronic of course.

It's either a fault (unlikely) or a difference between S-Tronic and Manuals.

Last edited by a moderator: