C5 A6 1.8T - Low on Power Issue

essee

Reaction score
Haven't posted for a while, but was at AITP recently after purchasing a cheap A6 1.8T (AWT) with 163,000 miles, and after a couple of months of forum searching with little luck, I've decided to post my problem to see if anyone can help.

Symptom: The car just doesn't seem to be quite as pokey as I'd expect for a 1.8T. Feels flat and doesn't rev much above 4k. Plus, the CEL is pointing to a problem.

Mods:
FMIC (Looks large and thin like a radiator).
Decat downpipe, with two O2 sensors.
Air filter.
Claimed remap with around 200bhp.

A scan on VCDS shows the following:

Chassis Type: 4B - Audi A6 C5 (1998 > 2006)
Scan: 01 02 03 06 08 15 16 17 18 22 34 35 36 37 45 55 56 57 65 67
75 76 77
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 06B-906-018-AWT.lbl
Part No: 4B0 906 018 CG
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
Coding: 11002
Shop #: WSC 33278
VCID: 68DF5E2208D3D65E3C3-5198
WAUZZZ4BZ1N065981 AUZ7Z0Y1586477

1 Fault Found:
17536 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult)
P1128 - 35-00 - System too Lean
Readiness: 0010 1001
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a car with so many miles with questionable service history, I decided to change out the MAF with an item from GSF. Since then, I've replaced some vacuum pipe work which were showing signs of deterioration and replaced and checked the odd boost pipe too. None of which has made any difference.

On further forum investigations, I replaced the spark plugs NGK PFR6Q, the FPR and replaced all the injector seals, as it was a bit messy down there on the inlet manifold. I did notice the spark plugs were a little white at the end, indicating running lean. Haven't gapped them yet. Not sure if they should be .28 or .32. Need to read more on that.

On further further forum investigations, I decided to use VCDS to check for air leaks using the rev at 3000 revs and look for 10g/s method. Seems fine. Also, WOT (wide open throttle) the reading goes well above 120g/s, which highlights the MAF is looking good.

On more investigations, I checked measuring block 32, which highlights any fuel changes by the car. At idle seems fine but part throttle well into +25%, meaning the car is adding fuel to balance out an issue.

The only other thing I think it can be is the fuel system. Maybe a faulty fuel pump or a blocked injector? Am I missing anything else?

Thanks for reading this far, if you have!

Update. I've just been outside removing and re-plumbing in the turbo intake pipe and connecting bits, and she's now keeping boost! After doing some further reading last night, it seems the code and readings I was getting were associated with either a fuel issue or an air leak between the MAF and the turbo. I'm guessing some of the hoses weren't correctly tight and air was escaping. It's not 100% yet, so I think there are more hoses to check, but I will check again the readings first light.

Update for anyone else with similar problems:

She's holding boost now, but still wont rev much past 4500-5000. I decided to check the fuel pressure by buying and installing a cheap £12 kit on eBay.

This is at idle. With or without the vacuum hose in the FPR, this is the reading. That says it all to me.

IMG_20150923_165106_zpsg9qafzs8.jpg

Now, is it as simple as a knackered 163,000 mile fuel pump or could it be something else? I have already changed the fuel filter too.

Final update from me on this issue.

Swapped the fuel pump for a £60 eBay item and all seems fine now. She pulls lovely, as I would expect. Showing just under 4 bar on my gauge.

The fuel pump was in the boot (trunk), which surprised me, because for everyone else it seems to be under the rear bench.

The pump just hangs from the top. It wasn't connected at the bottom and needed no twisting to release. Just unscrew the retaining bracket on top and slide the pump out. Simples.