A4 DTM P0011 after camshaft replacement

ramboDTM

Reaction score
Little bit of a life story coming up, but bear with me......

Chain/tensioner and pick up pipe replaced by garage back in feb as a preventative measure. Garage managed to mess up the timing which bent some valves. They replaced them and fitted new belt etc etc, and all seemed ok other than I swear the engine vibrated a lot more at idle than it used to. But I've lived with that since feb.

Skip ahead to a week ago, started getting fuel cuts, then a kin awful squealing noise from the HPFP. Turns out the pump must have been seizing (autotech internals) which took out the cam follower and the camshaft!!!! (early cam made of cheese). Anyway, £1k later and I'd replaced the pump, intake camshaft and follower plus gaskets and £60 ******* green ****** sealant lol

I work as an aircraft mechanic, so I know mechanics, but obviously worried about the job as I hadnt done it on these engines before. With a massive run down on what to look out for from Gio (MOST HELPFUL GUY YOU'LL MEET), I did it all myself and all seemed good. Engine sounds nice and quiet, and runs well, HOWEVER.........................

I keep getting P0011 camshaft timing code coming up, but only at town speeds. I've just got home from a 300mile round trip (I was shitting myself by the way that the engine didnt die because of something I've done lol), but it ran perfectly, except for the codes, but the codes were only coming up within the first 30 miles each way. So for instance it logged the code 10 times in the first 30 miles, but nothing for the rest of the 120 miles, with no CEL.

So after all that, my question is what do we all reckon??

*Its either the camshaft actuator (its been out several times this week),
*I didnt change the chain and tensioner again, which shouldnt be a problem, but could possibly be the tensioner?
*OR, the original timing was out, but the new camshaft has exacerbated things, which is bringing up the code??

I've checked with VCDS and the camshaft timing cyle thingy shows -1KW which Im lead to believe is well within tolerance, but I could be wrong.

Sorry for the long post, and you've probably all got bored half way and clicked your back button, but it all needs saying to give you the full round up!

Little bit of a life story coming up, but bear with me......

Chain/tensioner and pick up pipe replaced by garage back in feb as a preventative measure. Garage managed to mess up the timing which bent some valves. They replaced them and fitted new belt etc etc, and all seemed ok other than I swear the engine vibrated a lot more at idle than it used to. But I've lived with that since feb.

Skip ahead to a week ago, started getting fuel cuts, then a kin awful squealing noise from the HPFP. Turns out the pump must have been seizing (autotech internals) which took out the cam follower and the camshaft!!!! (early cam made of cheese). Anyway, £1k later and I'd replaced the pump, intake camshaft and follower plus gaskets and £60 ******* green ****** sealant lol

I work as an aircraft mechanic, so I know mechanics, but obviously worried about the job as I hadnt done it on these engines before. With a massive run down on what to look out for from Gio (MOST HELPFUL GUY YOU'LL MEET), I did it all myself and all seemed good. Engine sounds nice and quiet, and runs well, HOWEVER.........................

I keep getting P0011 camshaft timing code coming up, but only at town speeds. I've just got home from a 300mile round trip (I was shitting myself by the way that the engine didnt die because of something I've done lol), but it ran perfectly, except for the codes, but the codes were only coming up within the first 30 miles each way. So for instance it logged the code 10 times in the first 30 miles, but nothing for the rest of the 120 miles, with no CEL.

So after all that, my question is what do we all reckon??

*Its either the camshaft actuator (its been out several times this week),
*I didnt change the chain and tensioner again, which shouldnt be a problem, but could possibly be the tensioner?
*OR, the original timing was out, but the new camshaft has exacerbated things, which is bringing up the code??

I've checked with VCDS and the camshaft timing cyle thingy shows -1KW which Im lead to believe is well within tolerance, but I could be wrong.

Sorry for the long post, and you've probably all got bored half way and clicked your back button, but it all needs saying to give you the full round up!
Have you checked the 3 rings that go inside the camshaft variator havent snapped? This can cause a camshaft position code. You can buy them from tps for £20 for all 3. If this doent solve it i would be looking towards the camshaft position sensor, but seens youve had the housing off several times, i think you will most likely find they have split.

Cheers for the reply.

I did check them originally to make sure they werent split, but I guess they could be now. I'll have another look!!!

Its at the front on the right as you look at the engine. Just above the inlet manifold on the underside of the head

Cheers mate, found the little ******, never noticed it there haha

As for the camshaft adjuster rings......well, I had the chain cover off today, and fortunately everything all looks fine and dandy in there, except for the rings!! Are they supposed to be split in one place so you can remove/install them, or should they be a continuous solid ring? Mine each have a split in them, but I assumed that they are supposed to be like that? Maybe not................

Cheers mate, found the little ******, never noticed it there haha

As for the camshaft adjuster rings......well, I had the chain cover off today, and fortunately everything all looks fine and dandy in there, except for the rings!! Are they supposed to be split in one place so you can remove/install them, or should they be a continuous solid ring? Mine each have a split in them, but I assumed that they are supposed to be like that? Maybe not................
Yes they are suppose to have 1 split on each. But thats all. Anything else and they should be replaced. Personally i would replace them anyway just to illiminate them as a potential issue