2.0 TDI coolant loss (2007)

Mindak

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
For the last 3 weeks or so I have noticed a gradual loss in coolant first brought to light by the warning light appearing on the dash one morning!
I have been monitoring it since and would say I'm losing around a quarter or a litre a week, it's not used any before now so know something is up!
Had it on a ramp and found no leaks or wet patches and it's not mixing with the oil!
I didn't think there was a cylinder head problem with the models on this plate but looks like it's using it rather than losing it... Any ideas?

Thanks

If it's a BKD 140 then it sounds like the head is on the way out.
The coolant consumption will gradually get worse. I was going through about 4 litres a week just before it packed in.
2007 is a bit late for the iffy head though but, not unheard of.
EGR can also cause coolant probs.

My thoughts exactly.. Thought I'd be safe buying a 2007 but obviously not!
I deleted the egr so can probably rule that out!
Just what I ****** need! Lol

Fill it up to maximum and then monitor from there and record how much you top up

May sound silly but also do check all clips, clamps, pipes are in good condition and then radiator cap also!

Check for white smoke on 1st startup in the morning. If the car is burning it, then it is the head. If there is no white smoke, then it is leaking somewhere else.

My low coolant warning came on the DIS 3 times in a 12 week period. So checked for leaks & topped the coolant up. It wasn't until the 3rd time of topping up that I noticed a coolant leak dripping from the right bottom corner of the front bumper. Got it booked into the garage & a new radiator was required.

Iv had it on a ramp and nothing jumped out at me, Iv replaced my Porsche cap for the original audi which didn't work! When I first noticed it after a few days of not being used I had a lot of white smoke/condensation for around a mile before it cleared!
I'm now trying letting the pressure out of the system after every drive and it seems to have prevented loss of coolant!
Iv got it booked in at my local audi for a diagnosis and see what they come up with!

Slight update, Audi have had my car all day today and can't seem to find any problem so are keeping the system under pressure overnight to see if there's any loss! ****** wierd nobody can diagnose it not even a main dealer!

Audi had the car for 2 days, with system under pressure, hot and cold, thorough check for leaks and found nothing! Lost no pressure or fluid in their possession!
Im hoping it was an air lock which they have managed to eliminate or something!
I now have my car back and have to monitor any loss and keep record of how much etc...
Hopefully I wont lose anything but strange how iv managed to put in over a litre in the last month???

Mine uses more coolant than diesel :( It's also got a small puff of smoke on start up, but nothing milky in the oil cap. The car's only done 62K :(

Does anyone know roughly how much a head gasket would be? :frowning:

Slight update, Audi have had my car all day today and can't seem to find any problem so are keeping the system under pressure overnight to see if there's any loss! ****** wierd nobody can diagnose it not even a main dealer!

Just because it's at a "Main dealer" doesn't mean anything in the real world, yes it looks nice on paper but I've had car issues before (not this one) and have taken cars to main dealers. At the end it ended up being an independent that solved the issue, main dealer couldn't find the fault out.

That's not to say there all bad though.

Coolant pumps are very well known to leak. On a lot of cambelts we do we find the water pumps have been and are leaking - if that hasn't been checked already, check it.

They said there was a slight dried patch near the water pump but not enough to warrant the amount Iv been topping up!
Just going to drive it now and see what happens otherwise next is cylinder head off for investigation!
Had it visually checked by 3 different places now with no clue!

If it's the cylinder head, then the coolant loss will be a no brainer without having to resort to taking the head off.
I didn't know that an internal combustion engine could use so much coolant and still run reasonably well...!

I had the same problem with my 2005 bkd.
First I've completely deleted the egr (egr valve, cooler, pipes etc.). The cooler was leaking. So it is not enough to just blank the valve.
Than I've changed the radiator which was leaking on the bottom right side, complere with new hoses.
In the end, the leak stopped after I've replaced the water pump.
The pump was in a VERY bad shape.
After changing the pump, the coolant level is remained constant.
It is difficult to see if it leaks. It only happens when the engine is warm and there is pressure in the system.
Since the engine is warm the coolant will evaporate without leaving traces.