out of shape tyre.

musicegbdf

Reaction score
Ok ,daughter has a knocking noise in her A1.
Audi checked ( we thought wheel bearing). They say no , one of her tyres (Dunlop so sportmaxx ) is out of shape., and quoted for a new tyre.
They said it is safe to drive.
The thing is her new A1 has already started on the production line and she is trading in.
I guess we should just ignore it as her new car will be here in about four weeks....

Out of shape tyre!! new one to me. If they are happy for you to drive away, then they should be happy to drive it away as well ;)

Quite common after a hard encounter with a large pothole.

Also can produce bulges, in addition to shape shifting.
Or if there has been water ingress to the cords - corrosion.

But if referring to a droning type wheel bearing noise, "out of shape" can also refer to the saw tooth pattern that develops on the tread blocks, giving rise to the noise.

Sometimes the whole tyre can go like a 50p piece - due to suspension and alignment setup of the car.

I'm sure @Don76 could tell you more :)

Last edited:
Yes , I had never heard of it, but seems fairly common now. Seems internal structure gets damaged and creates a flat spot... ?

Quite common after a hard encounter with a large pothole.

Also can produce bulges, in addition to shape shifting.
Or if there has been water ingress to the cords - corrosion.

But if referring to a droning type wheel bearing noise, "out of shape" can also refer to the saw tooth pattern that develops on the tread blocks, giving rise to the noise.

Sometimes the whole tyre can go like a 50p piece - due to suspension and alignment setup of the car.

I'm sure @Don76 could tell you more :)

Great info veeeight! :redface new: (Hate those darn potholes) :crying:

I had exactly the same thing years ago on my Vauxhall Calibra. Seem to remember it was the front 2 tyres. It was like a knocking sound at particular speeds. Wasn't dangerous apparently but I had the tyres changed and noise went away. My initial concern was that the noise was wheel bearings.

No ., can't see anything.
Suspect if it had a bulge it would be unsafe. Looks fine to me.

If you can't see anything physically wrong then I'd suspect you'll be fine to hang fire a few weeks.

For total peace of mind perhaps ask her to take it to a local tyre dealer (independant not national chain) for some advice.