DPF replacement ?

dentsy

Love this B7 cab
Reaction score
Website
www.ftd-technics.co.uk
Hi, anyone know a good place to get a DPF replacement or a company that cleans the old one properly ?
Wife's car may need a new one
Seen some on EBay for around £300 anyone got any experience of these ?

Thanks,
Si

Hi mate,'car going into Indy 2 mrw, tried it on a run and light goes off then back on again after a few mins.
Glow plug light flashing and eng light on too, wife has had a prob with stuck thermostat so car not getting up to 90 could this have affected it ?
She is panicking it's a DPF replacement but Indy said if it ain't been done before he can do a forced re gen but only once.
Si

Re thermostat, yes, this isn't ideal as a bunch of conditions have to be met before regen will kick in during normal driving.
A forced regen is often helpful (for both PD and common rail) but it's success rate is all down to how saturated the DPF has become before attempting. Multiple forced regens can also be helpful to get soot content right down to acceptable limits.

So now I replaced thermostat it may REGEN properly ? I was told you can only do a forced REGEN once ?

A defective thermostat needs to be changes, yes. Forced regen cannot be actuated if engine is not at operating temp....likely a contributory factor, if not main cause, of passive regens not being activated.
Forced regen can be carried out more than once but if a significant ash reduction is not seen after 1st attempt a second regen is probably not the way to go. Engine oil and filter must be changed post regen, regardless.

Ok do I have a few days after REGEN to do the oil and filter if it is the dpf that shows at fault and not a sensor mate ?

The official line on this one would be do it straight away. In reality, you'll probably be okay to wait a bit. The oil gets diluted with diesel...post injection isn't exactly a resolved system for regen.
It's for this reason, if your man goes with forced regen your oil & filter should be changed regardless if DPF or sensor is at fault. Your indy will look at live data and check saturation before advising on regen.

Wi update you 2 mrw matey after he looked at it . If he says replace dpf will an eBay one do ? Wife really upset over this as she loves this car but only had it 2 months and was problems from the start but the dealer and warranty did sort out the water pump eventually , the warranty is a pretty crap one though

We can do a removal package and we can also offer the option to chemical clean the existing unit' we use a special 3 stage chemical clean without removing the unit with a special kit from sol-X

Hi all, right update on the garage visit , his computer tried to do a full REGEN but won't let him, he can't see any other fault codes coming up and dpf is showing as 42% full, do you think if I drove it on m way for a long run now stat is replaced it may do the REGEN itself ?

Si

You might try a cleaner to start with and some Italian tune ups before you throw too much money at it.

My friend fixed both his mums Turbo and his own with Archoil turbo cleaner after the vanes were sticking and causing limp mode. So I know there Turbo cleaner works.

I wouldn't normally recommend magic potions but I have seen these ones work.

Archoil DPF cleaner

I am not affiliated with this company or retailer.

Ok update is :-
In with new Indy today and all fault codes read all that shows is dpf is basically stuffed it did show a pressure sensor fault and possibly a glow plug but these look like old codes. Force regent was not possible it just would not allow it to happen,
Choice is new dpf or delete and remap,
Looks like the second option is the better one at £350 all in .

Si

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps and scotty76
Ok car all done dpf out and remap done, drives much better now and plenty of nice turbo noise Spoke to the previous owner as I sent him s letter as his details were on the V5 he said he had car only 3 weeks and handed it back to his garage as he had no heat in the car they had the car basically stripped new water pump thermostat coolant sensor head gasket off to check etc etc. Eventually after 3 weeks he had his money back. He said that one of the mechanics told him that there is a bag of crystals in the cooling system and that this bag had burst and was causing all the filters and water pump to get clogged up has anyone ever heard of this ? As I can see no info online about a bag of crystals in Audi cooling systems online. Car now seems to be sorted hopefully so the wife can enjoy it !
Si

Thats a new one on me, never heard of a bag of crystals in any cooling system. Maybe he is getting confused with the air con system where you have dessicant crystals in the dryer but these aren't in a bag.
http://repairpal.com/air-conditioning-dryer

Hopefully the car is sorted now, They run much better without the DPF's and the fuel economy should be much better as the engine can now breath. When the DPF gets past a certain point and I think it's around 40% they won't regen because it can cause the DPF to get VERY hot and it's a possible fire risk. The historic pressure sensor fault is probably what caused the issue with the DPF as without the ECU being able to see the state of the DPF it doesn't know when to regen or won't fully regenerate the DPF.

Karl.

Yes the guy who did the car for me did say it showed up pressure sensor something mate, wife is noticing much better mpg already and car still takes a little while to get up to 90 but everything else seems ok. She is concerned though that she had the dpf removed but I said dont worry

good to hear your car is sorted. I'm currently saving pennies to get the DPF,EGR delete and remap
cant wait to get rid of these pointless item which seem to choke the engine

Yes I don't see the point of them mate, wife gave me an update just now car got up to temp ok then when she was sat in traffic temp dropped to about 80 then once she got moving again on dual carriageway back to 90 and stayed there , is this normal ?

yeah thats the temps I get usually just under 90 on motorway

no mine is always gets hotter the faster I go. drops when stationary

Ah ok cool I will tell her mate thanks I wouldn't buy a B8 though to be honest I preferred my old B7 to it.
She wants me to try and sort out fancy lights as my sons got them in his A3 lol , I said nah you don't need them but I do in my C6 allroad

Was discussing this with my wife yesterday actually. Our had dpf and egr delete done last week with a remap.
We decided if we sell it to a garage then say nowt. If we sell privately then u would have to tell them but IMHO it can only be a positive thing to avoid problems in the future and gives better mpg.

BTW do u find your car louder at motorway speed

Yes mate a bit louder but what I have found is that if you are outside the car and someone is driving it the turbo whistle is very very noticeable obviously due to the dpf now being hollow , and it's a tiny bit smokey and smells more.
Also just found out yesterday that the car is part of the Audi VW recall !!

Oops

Mine seems to sound like the engine is revving higher at but the rev gauge is showing 2000 so thought might just be the sound of the hollow dpf