Outside air temperature sensor issue?

Davec30

Reaction score
I have a 2.0 tdi sline and just recently changed the front grill. I noticed today that the reading in the ar was was +7deg and was slowly rising. I know it was high teens today outside.

So my question is, is this normal for it to start low and rise, possibly the temperature when I turned the engine off last night? Or have a broken something?

Unfortunately I suspect you may have broken it, or maybe it's moved during the fitting of the new grill.
Generally the temperature will hardly change once you start your journey, unless it a very hot day and then it would drop quite a bit once cold air rushes over it.
I remember a recent thread where the sensor had fallen off its mount and was hanging behind the grill. That thread may well help..

Unfortunately I suspect you may have broken it, or maybe it's moved during the fitting of the new grill.
Generally the temperature will hardly change once you start your journey, unless it a very hot day and then it would drop quite a bit once cold air rushes over it.
I remember a recent thread where the sensor had fallen off its mount and was hanging behind the grill. That thread may well help..

Thanks for the reply. I went out and checked. It doesn't look like its moved any?

The only thing I removed was a sensor thing at the back of the number plate which is bolted onto the grill. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks again.

Sensor obviously damaged mate, was only humouring. Did you disturb the wiring?

Haha yeah I know you were but it's very true!

Went out today and it seems to be working so there's something up with it.

Can anyone tell me the best place to source one or is it straight to the dealer?

Oh and would I get that done on warranty? No damage to the sensor that I can see

Last edited: