Pulling my hair out about BOSE!!

Randomage

Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I've posted a thread already about this. Symphony unit shat itself, so I thought I'd treat myself to an upgrade. Bought a pioneer touchscreen unit, and a connects2 lead which I thought would do the trick of connecting everything up - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct53-au04-audi-bose-active-iso-adaptor
Cable rocked up, and didn't work :blue: turns out the website I'd used advertised it wrong. SO, I tried again, with this: http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-connects2-ct51-au01_p-28386.htm?nosto=productpage-nosto-2
- Which I've seen posted in relation to a lot of a3 bose woes, with happy comments following. That rocked up this weekend, and hey presto!! Nothing. No sound at all.
I've been driving a silent car for 2 weeks now, and I have a 5 hour trek to manage next week - does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?! I've so far spent about £50 on cables which should do the job but actually do sweet FA, and I'm starting to run out of patience!!

Any help is greatly appreciated :blush:

Edit: car is a 53 plate, ISO connectors if that helps

If your Head Unit powers-up, but you have no sound then it may be that your amplifier is not getting the signal to turn-on when the HU powers-up. It's a bit tough for me without photos of your wires/connectors/plugs and I never used the first adapter. With the CT53-AU04 adapter make sure that the blue wires on the harness are connected as per instructions that should have come with the HU. If that still does not work, try connecting the blue wire from the HU directly to the blue wire that goes to the ISO plug to the car without connecting the blue one from the 'magic' box that sits on the CT53-AU04 harness. I had to do this to get my BOSE amp to power-up too, but my car is much later model, so would be a little different.

Also, make sure to connect the blue wire from the radio aerial adapter to the same set of wires mentioned above. Let us know how you get on and post some photos of your wiring if you have no luck.

EDIT: Obviously make sure that the various pins on the adapter are in the correct place - it's not unusual for them to be in the wrong/empty slots.

Not sure if this is the right one for your car but I tried one lead and had the same problem as you with no sound.
I bought this lead and everything works spot on.
My car is a 58 plate s3 though. Just thought I'd share as it may help you. EBay item number

Not sure if this is the right one for your car but I tried one lead and had the same problem as you with no sound.
I bought this lead and everything works spot on.
My car is a 58 plate s3 though. Just thought I'd share as it may help you. EBay item number

That is the one I have too, but it won't fit to @Randomage 's car. His one uses older ISO type connectors rather than the Quadlock that you and I have.

i bet its the blue power amp wire that needs connecting from the pioneer harness to the connects2 harness... i have never had a dead sound stereo in all the installations i have done and i swear by connects2!
If your anywhere near the south-east come to me and i will sort it out within half hour!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm on nights at work at the moment so can't get any pictures up, but I'll sort some in the morning. Something rings true about getting power to the amp though, there's an amp power lead on the pioneer harness that came with the unit, but no matching lead on the connects2 kits....

Right, finally managed to get some pictures sorted!!
LuIdym.jpg

First is the car harness. That nifty red wire is a switched 12v feed from the fusebox, plumbed in for a bluetooth handsfree kit that doesn't work anymore. That is, the kit doesnt work, but the wire does.
NMj4tu.jpg

That's the CT53-AU04 kit, which has an extra socket (black) for audio, which left me thinking it was incompatible...
KMvDKU.jpg

The CT51-AU01 kit, which doesn't adapt the power at all, just touches audio. Again, this has an extra audio socket (brown) which doesnt have anything to go to it :blink:
J04vzr.jpg

Finally, the pioneer harness that came with the HU.
I'm assuming that the amp power needs to go through the 'system remote control' line, but where it needs to go after that, I'm stumped. I was hoping that other thread would give me some answers but no luck :blush:

Hm... From what I understand, you should have an extra plug out of the car's wiring loom, which would make it at least three. You seem to only have two :wtf: Could it be that one of the connectors has been cut off or tucked away in the dash?

If not, then this probably calls for someone with a bit more car audio know-how than I posses currently :blink:

Is this not how the back of your original HU looked?

Audi Symphony CQ JA1920L CQ JA1924L car stereo wiring diagram connector pinout

Yup, that is *exactly* how the back of my original HU looks. Except the 3rd horizontal plug wasn't plugged in, or anywhere to be found in fact!! I'll have another good look when I'm not in work, but as far as I can see, there is no 3rd plug. The previous bluetooth handsfree system was a professional install, so they migth have bypassed it and hidden it away somewhere :wtf: