Quattro System

PastS1Owner

Reaction score
Is the S1 front wheel drive until the front wheels start slipping?

Saw a video of one being rolling roaded and the rear wheels arent moving?

I keep asking the same question. Some say its a 60/40 split with the option of 50/50 if needed and some people says its only front wheel drive unless you need the traction. I hope its the former otherwise why Quattro? On a 2wd rolling road some companies disable the haldex system so its front wheel drive only.

That must be the case, otherwise with the fronts spinning and the backs not, the 4WD system would assume the fronts don't have traction (as though they're slipping on wet grass or something) and spin the backs in response.

I think it's front wheel drive until it's required then the haldex engages the rear wheels , all the Quattro s with transverse mounted engines are like this

They pull the fuse on the haldex when rolling road as it's easier to work out drive train loss on a 2WD system. With the Haldex working its 60 front/40 rear for normal driving and up to 50/50 if needed. This is unusual for Haldex as the previous generation was 100 front/0 rear with up to 50/50. This latest generation is much closer to emulating how a Torsen system works (and can actually technically send more power that 50% to the rear if needed which the previous Haldex was incapable of).

Reactions: Huwbert and Ian Whiffen
They pull the fuse on the haldex when rolling road as it's easier to work out drive train loss on a 2WD system. With the Haldex working its 60 front/40 rear for normal driving and up to 50/50 if needed. This is unusual for Haldex as the previous generation was 100 front/0 rear with up to 50/50. This latest generation is much closer to emulating how a Torsen system works (and can actually technically send more power that 50% to the rear if needed which the previous Haldex was incapable of).
Cheers Jose. I know we have had this conversation before its just that I watched a Top Gear test on the S1 and Clarkson said it was front wheel drive. I'm like you and thought it was a 60/40 thing. I know Clarkson isn't the best authority on cars lol

You can tell from the way it drives that it has power to the rear from the get go. Nothing like the pervious gen haldex which would spin the fronts up to get some nice understeer going, then shove a little bit of power rearwards just enough to make sure the already broken front traction continues to push the nose further towards the outside kerb!

Reactions: RMJ891
The Quattro system on the S1 definitely works as you can feel when you driving
DTYME83

Reactions: Ian Whiffen and PastS1Owner
The Quattro system on the S1 definitely works as you can feel when you driving
DTYME83
Yeah that's what I thought Daniel. You can really feel mine scrabbling for grip on all four corners when I really put my foot down. There just seem to be a few car reviewers who keep saying it's front wheel drive.

Anything to tarnish the little devil. If it wasn't a proper Quattro it would never have got the badge let's not be forgetting the original S1 was supposed to be the A1 185 but Audi had to back to the drawing board and do it properly

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
Anything to tarnish the little devil. If it wasn't a proper Quattro it would never have got the badge let's not be forgetting the original S1 was supposed to be the A1 185 but Audi had to back to the drawing board and do it properly

How do you know that?

The autocar magazine back in 2007 because I was going to buy one . Then when I asked my local dealer what had happended to the S1 he explained that all S cars are Quattro and that Audi had gone back to the drawing board to see what they could do to fit the Quattro system in the car. @skiman