Clipped a kerb already! New tyre needed?

jimnastics

Reaction score
Decided to take my new A4 out to pick the little man up from nursery, without remembering that the nursery road is a dreadful, tight-squeeze, cars both sides, high kerbs alloy killer. Especially at pick-up time with every other ****** parent around :/ Tried to squeeze past a Chelsea tractor, and clipped / scraped the kerb. Passenger side run flat has a nasty tear in it (see photo), plus damage to the alloy but I'll leave that until later. Is this damage enough to warrant a new tyre urgently? This is the first time I've had run flats. The damage is just on the lip that surrounds the alloy rather than through the wall, but I don't know how serious it is. Tyre pressure system isn't reporting any problems (yet). Any advice folks? Can't believe the extent of damage, literally thought I just nicked the kerb :/

Attachments

• 2015-09-09 17.13.17 (Large).jpg
    2015-09-09 17.13.17 (Large).jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 1,048
change it -- tyre walls are relatively thin so the tyre will be weakened - don't want it to fail on you at speed ??????

I'd change it. Feel your pain had to get a new tyre and alloy repair a few months back due to a wheel vs metal bollard incident. :-(

Ok thanks chaps, better safe than sorry by the sounds of it. Should I be replacing exact like-for-like? And any recommendations of where to get it done, indie or chain? Can't remember the last time I had to sort out a new tyre....

Yeah, I pinched the anti-kerb strip off mine about 2 weeks after getting it on my front tyre. The length of the strip I took off was longer than what you've taken off but it wasn't as deep (just protruding rubber for anti-kerbing). This has gone deeper, so I'd definitely replace. Not worth the risk, especially with kids in the car.

Shame you didn't do all 4, then you could justify getting rid of horrible run-flats. :D

Thanks everyone for your help, going to just bite the bullet and get it sorted asap. I don't know if the website Black Circles is reliable or not, but it's quote me £157 for an exact replacement (Continental Sport Contact 3 255/35 R19 96 Y), including fitting at a local garage. Is that price about right?

Reactions: ruairi83
Don't know about the price but used Black Circles in the past. Also try Event tyres and Etyres for prices.

Best place I just found is Openeo.co.uk. Cheaper than black circles.

My wife just kerbed mine. I feel your pain.. My tyre survived.. the alloy was not so lucky.

Those aren't run flats!?...are they?
How many miles have you done on the tyre?
I was about to say Audi recommend change both tyres on the same axle
But I've just realised your car is not quattro

I actually have a spare Conti SC3 255/35 19 off my S4 in the garage, it's covered about 6k miles.
It yours if you can collect it, I'm in Stratford upon Avon?

Let me know, no worries if you don't want it

I did this to my rear but it was a very thin slice of the rim protector and about 4" long so just tiger sealed it back on.
As said if mine was as deep as yours I would get a new tyre, in fact a pair! as I always do tyres as a pair.

Michelin Pilot sport 3 18" are £123.22 fully fitted at Black Circle.. they are £104 delivered at Openeo.. if you can get them fitted for less than £80 then better at Openeo.

Thought I just seen Costco do the same tyre for £98 fitted, but I will need to look into this.

I'd replace like for like considering you've said its a new A4. I'm surprised your on runflats. Not many of you guys run these do you? Why use these if you carry a spare albeit a skinny?

Was a little surprised at the first part of this topic. Dealt with this issue on my BMW.

Reactions: Keef
I'd replace like for like considering you've said its a new A4. I'm surprised your on runflats. Not many of you guys run these do you? Why use these if you carry a spare albeit a skinny?

Sorry, completely my mistake that, they aren't run flats. They're Continental 255/35R19Y Sport Contact 3. I'm definitely replacing like for like, and have it booked in with etyres to come out and replace on Monday!

I only got the car on Tuesday, so it has not been a good start to my A4! :sadlike: Love the car itself though :)

Reactions: scotty76 and Keef
I actually have a spare Conti SC3 255/35 19 off my S4 in the garage, it's covered about 6k miles.
It yours if you can collect it, I'm in Stratford upon Avon?

Meant to say Keef thank you for the kind offer, unfortunately I'm down on the south coast!!

Having a mare here folks, I don't seem to have a locking wheel nut in the drivers pack given to me. Is there anywhere in the car they might have left it? Before I have to call and moan at the dealer...

Having a mare here folks, I don't seem to have a locking wheel nut in the drivers pack given to me. Is there anywhere in the car they might have left it? Before I have to call and moan at the dealer...
Mine's hidden under the spare wheel in the kit with the jack, the least convenient place to put it as have to remove the spare wheel to get it! Is that where you are looking?

Reactions: jdp1962 and jimnastics
Mine's hidden under the spare wheel in the kit with the jack, the least convenient place to put it as have to remove the spare wheel to get it! Is that where you are looking?

Aaaah good man, found it, thanks Scotty! Christ I must be coming across as such a noob... probably because I am :D

Reactions: jdp1962, Keef and scotty76
One of the many bonuses of an avant, no getting the spare out to get the locking wheel nut. Also various other bits, such as screw driver, ice scraper, wheel nut cover tool, and some stuff that I just don't know what it's for.

Attachments

• 20150910_121122.jpg
    20150910_121122.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: AshA4 and scotty76
That looks useful. I'm a bit confused as to why its only the Avant that feature.

Decided to take my new A4 out to pick the little man up from nursery, without remembering that the nursery road is a dreadful, tight-squeeze, cars both sides, high kerbs alloy killer. Especially at pick-up time with every other ****** parent around :/ Tried to squeeze past a Chelsea tractor, and clipped / scraped the kerb. Passenger side run flat has a nasty tear in it (see photo), plus damage to the alloy but I'll leave that until later. Is this damage enough to warrant a new tyre urgently? This is the first time I've had run flats. The damage is just on the lip that surrounds the alloy rather than through the wall, but I don't know how serious it is. Tyre pressure system isn't reporting any problems (yet). Any advice folks? Can't believe the extent of damage, literally thought I just nicked the kerb :/
i did just the same on my last Audi, and the tyres were new. Audi checked it out , national tyres and two other garages, and they all said it should be ok. it passed three MOTs at Audi and lasted right up to when i sold it back to Audi. Must admit though, if money isn't a problem, id change it.

My wife did exactly the same thing - wheels had been off the car all winter and had only a few hundred miles on them from new at that point. Within a week of putting them back on she caught a rock at the side of the road.

I was in two minds whether to replace it or not since most of the damage seems superficial but since the car spends 95% of the time with my little boys in it I could never forgive myself if something happened. If it was only me that drove it I would have taken the risk but peace of mind is worth more than a tyre.

Once it was off the wheel the damage didn't look as bad - the sidewall is pretty thick. However it would have always been on my mind.

Evening gents
I don't want my *** ripped out for asking this question only asking it as I have never heard of it and not had problems with conti sport max 3 I had them on my golf gti last year...
So be gentle what is tram lining?
Are you speaking about when go into a bend and leaves marks?

No, it's when the car reacts (or over-reacts, depending on your point of view) to lateral irregularities in the road surface. It gives the impression the car is trying to steer itself, as though it were on tram-lines, hence the name.

Oh, and no ***-ripping here. We leave that to the silly boys in 8V land. Here, the rule is it's not a silly question if you don't know the answer.

Reactions: Keef and Bristle Hound
Oh, and no ***-ripping here. We leave that to the silly boys in 8V land. Here, the rule is it's not a silly question if you don't know the answer.
^ This, very much this in the B8 section :thumbs up:

@jdp1962 thanks very easily explained there, as being a hgv technician I haven't heard of it before but I understand what u mean. Cheers

Reactions: Keef and jdp1962
Lanner its also more obvious, or happens more, the bigger your rims are and the lower your tyre profile becomes. I'm sure there are other factors but I think this is the biggest contributor.

I have Mitchelin all round on mine and never had them on a car before and I like them I had Bridgestone on my a3 8p and the road noise was loud and nasty

Just to update that I had the tyre replaced this morning by eTyres Worthing branch, £157 all in. Phoned me in the morning with a time, arrived on the dot, job done in 20 mins. Would happily recommend to anyone.

All I need to do now is sort out a repair on the alloy scratch!

Reactions: scotty76