VR6 G60 SMF conversion question/problem

AlexMac

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just had a Darkside G60/VR6 SMF kit fitted to my A3 (FWD) 1.8T, and not a totally happy bunny. It was fitted by my local indy, and I'm not convinced all is well. Car drives OK, and no slipping, but the biting point is now about half an inch off the floor, and fully engaged soon after.
So my questions are: to all of you who have done the conversion, what was your experience? (Obviously it's a lighter pedal, but did your biting point change this dramatically, and did it improve with bedding in?)
And secondly:
Any suggestions as to possible causes/remedies?
Any way it could have been incorrectly fitted to cause this?

Currently I'm (hopefully) leaning towards air in the hydraulics, but I was under the impression there was no need to split the lines to remove the box (just unbolt the slave and move aside), so I don't know if/why the chap has...
Thoughts anyone?

Did you get a new slave fitted at the time? It's recommended to do so.

My biting point changed alot going to SMF and was a tw@t to bleed it totally.
The car wouldn't go into any gear in the second day and left me stranded on a round about.
Bled it again and much swearing later it was fine and one of the best things I did to the car.

No mate, didn't get a slave fitted (external type so didn't seem crucial to do whilst box was off). Is it advised on all of them, or is it not just the concentrics (internal)? Update from the fitter: Didn't split the hydraulics so not air ingress during the job.

Darkside have said 'No, it shouldn't be like it' and can only suggest air in the lines or a bent arm. I can't see any reason why the arm would have been bent during fitting.
Is there any possibility I've been supplied the wrong parts? Anyone know of a combination which would fit together (and work), but cause a misalignment of the clutch release mech?

This is rapidly looking like becoming one of those nightmare scenarios where no-one will accept responsibility...

Have you checked the pedal where the master goes in? The pedals are know to snap the weld, when my biting point was low, (on a mk4 golf) it was down to failing pedal/and weld

Mine on same car seemed to feel low. I inspected the slave and noticed it was little tear in it. I replaced slave and bled the system, strange I found its very easy to bleed took me about 5 min to bleed. Now clutch is biting about 80-90% from the bottom so seems the reverse of yours. My full kit was from darkside I doubt they sold you bad parts as they were spot on with me

OK, clutch has been bled (fresh fluid) and no different at all.
No sign of problem with the pedal welds. The fitter is now saying they've 'spoken to someone ex-VW who's done it on their car' and that it needs a DIFFERENT slave (longer operating rod). Sigh! I've told him that I've never heard ANYTHING like that from all those who've done it or the manufacturers of the kit itself - it's a straight forward bolt on replacement.
Possibly stupid question, but has anyone ever fitted one of these and got the friction plate in back to front? If so, what happened, 'cos I'm starting to have my doubts now....
As I say, biting point etc. was perfect before this swap, just started slipping (after remap). Seems very coincidental that the biting point issue started from the second the clutch was changed.
Thanks for all the input guys!

Load of rubbish. There isn't any need for a different slave. Is the hydraulic line to slave kinked or squashed.

A new clutch can expose an old slave for its failings, thats why its recommended (just not necessary to change) but the slave is definately the same anyway.

You can get a slave for like £40 and change it yourself, from memory it was pretty easy

Well chaps, I hate reading other people's problem posts where there's no conclusion so here's an update:
The issue is now resolved!

I took on board all the suggestions, and checked everything out with no success, so decided to have the arm replaced. There was a slight hairline fracture in the old one, but no bend, and the new one made no difference.
So I decided to live with it for a while and see if I adapted.

Fast forward three weeks and I got an email from Darkside to say they had 'become aware' of an issue with their latest batch of flywheels. The PP mounting holes were not fully drilled/tapped so the bolts bottomed out before the PP pulled tight against the flywheel. Hmmmm.......
At the same time the pedal started to feel notchy, and occasionally the clutch would seem to stick (so that the biting point was much higher up, and when the clutch bit it grabbed HARD). This was totally random, so that one moment the clutch would bite almost at the floor, and the next it wouldn't - made the car almost undriveable.

After speaking to DS multiple times and something of an argument (they wanted me to take the car to them to examine, or have the parts removed and sent to them to assess), they sent me a replacement clutch kit and some shorter bolts.

Had it fitted (and sure enough the first clutch was FUBAR due to the bolt issue), and all is now great. Still bedding it in, so not given it any abuse, but very smooth, biting point is perfect, and seems to be holding OK at peak torque.

Not a happy bunny though. Paid out a small fortune in labour (3 lots including the arm replacement - and of course the fitter blamed the parts I supplied), and fairly unimpressed with DS's attitude even when they KNEW there was an issue (really had to fight to get the replacement bits sent out), and the guy that fitted it failed to spot the fact that it didn't seat properly. Plus, neither party even considered the possibility of insecure PP bolts when the biting point issue was mentioned.

The morals of the story?
First: No matter how good a companies reputation, they can still have QC issues.
Second: I need to stop being lazy and just go back to doing these jobs myself!

Thanks again for all the suggestions though, it could have been any of them!

Reactions: SamHendry
Sachs vr6 clutch have been shown to hold 280ft/lbs so that shouldn't be an issue at least.

Its not really worth paying the labour on these cars for some time consuming jobs.