1.8T RATTLE AT 2000rpm! help please.

jimmetal84

Reaction score
As in the title, noticed a rattle from about 2000 - 3000rpm if i gently pull through 2nd/3rd gear when only slightly coming on boost. Quite quiet metallic rattle. Sounds drivers side, not there at full boost (as far as i can hear) no smoke or lights on. The management light is already on before i noticed it. 2004, bfb engine. Please help folks, i get a bit obsessed til i find out the problem, engine rattles scare me! Haha

Dunno mate haha, don't like the sound of that though

Get your oil pressure checked if I were you fella, turbo will be the first to go.

How do i do it? Thanks mate. I noticed when taking the breather pipes off to get access to the cts they seemed a bit blocked , think a big clean up is required!

You will need a oil pressure gauge, unscrew your oil pressure switch and screw in the gauge in. Run your car to normal temp and read the gauge at 2500 rpm. Think it should be about 4 to 6 bar but google it. Good luck.

On top of the oil filter housing, will have a plug with a single wire going to it. Google is you friend for pics.

Awesome mate thanks again. Hope nothing major going on !!

Plug vcds in and see what comes up, I'm thinking the noise maybe the pancake breather valve on top rear of engine,I'm gonna change mine because I can rattle it once its off so it could be faulty and bouncing the spring inside which would give the noise.

Where are you Jim? If anywhere near derby I can plug vcds in and it will also show if oil pressure is ok

Reactions: jimmetal84
Ah man im in hull but thanks! I reckon i need to get the breather stuff off in that area and clean out or replace as it did look quite blocked to be honest. Isn't that breather filter plastic though? If so its definately not that on mine! Definate metallic rattle. Drove it again earlier after engine had cooled down a bit and couldn't hear the rattle! ......confused

Its plastic case with metal spring diaphragm type affair inside.

Pick up pipe is usually noisy on start up.Have heard that the chain guide can wear and lead to a similar rattle

No its a plastic guide which stops the chain fromvibrating

From what ive noticed its only when engine is warm and when gently accelerating through the gears as boost just starts to come in. All about 2-3000rpm. Sounds like a fairly low pitched metallic rattle but possibly in oil