Headlight adjuster issue with eBay purchase?

waggawagga

Reaction score
Paid for facelift headlights on eBay. Seller has now contacted me to say he has discovered that the adjuster on one of them is broken and wants to know if I am willing to proceed with the sale.

Anyone know if this easy fix or cheap to replace? Can I take an adjuster from my pre-facelift lights and use? Or any other suggestions? Many thanks.

Ensure that it is the automatic adjusters (the one that nobby is refering to above ) if it isnt and is one of the manuel adjusters u may struggle to get them level for MOT. They do pop in/out of rubber but if they have sheared off the plastic (the plastic that surrounds the bulbs themselves inside the headlight) they may need glueing back together witch will mean ull have to seperate the headlight plastic front cover from the rest of the light for access. I had to seperate both of mine as i bought facelift lights with broken adjusters

Many thanks for the reply nobbybonez and S3_NDJ. How can you tell if they are manual or automatic adjusters?

He's sent a couple of photos and said "Looks to be the plastic piece attached to the adjuster thats broke. It sounds like its in the light somewhere still." Here are the pics: . To be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking at here and what is actually broken.

Could I just pop the adjuster off the prefacelift ones or order the part from Audi?

Hey that is a manual adjuster and it looks like and good news as the white part is plastic that has a thread through it providing its not rounded off when you turn this thread it moves the plastic white peice backwards and forwards.

By the way the image looks there is also a Black rubber peice that the end of the white plastic fits into. also from the pic it looks like it isnt broken it has just come out of the rubber surround threrfore may just need winding back towards the rubber part until it seats itself back in. If the rubber has perished/split and doesnt fit snug on the white platic peice you maybe able to glue the tip of the white peice so and then push it back towards the rubber (Without getting glue on the threads and also try not to get impatiant with it as if u cross thread the white peice its a night mare.

I have attached a pic i took ages ago to try explain what i mean

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 10956841_10152842624377817_6200217146838016707_o.jpg
    10956841_10152842624377817_6200217146838016707_o.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 129
Thanks S3_NDJ. Really appreciate the help. Sounds like it could be worth risking it. Fingers crossed.

Yes its ur call obvously make sure the price is wright... call and ask him to wind the adjuster forward and see if ut seats itself back in before u buy if u can... as u want to at least make sure the plastic peice moves forwards and back so u know it isbt rounded off

Many thanks for you time with this S3_NDJ. He said the plastic bit has broken off and is inside the headlight. I'm guessing it would be easy enough to open the lights up, get the piece out and glue it back on with PlasticWeld or something?

To seperate the headlights can be a pain however it is do-able i did it on mine to repair them... if the price is wright then its ur call however if not may be worth hanging on to ur pennies to get a fully working headlight

Hi S3_NDJ, lights arrived. Unfortunately the little white adjuster cog and 'turning screw' on the outside of the casing is also missing. Wasn't aware of this. Disappointed. From searching the forum it seems I can't buy these little bits from Audi and the only way to really get them is from a donor light. Obviously breakers wouldn't be keen on giving up these little bits as it renders light unsellable.

Also one of the clips is broken - hopefully not a major issue. Some pics ... 1)broken clip 2)where the cog and turning screw is missing 3)what should be there - pic from the other light . At some point I might very well have to take them apart. Thanks again for all your feedback.

Hey wagga wagga if u can PM me or put some pics up that work thatll b brill as i do have some spare kit here juat need to see exactly what is broken. If they fail to upload them on anotyer website and post the link in here... and ill see if i have to parts for u

Hey wagga wagga if u can PM me or put some pics up that work thatll b brill as i do have some spare kit here juat need to see exactly what is broken. If they fail to upload them on anotyer website and post the link in here... and ill see if i have to parts for u
Found better pics from this old thread http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...headlight-self-levelling-system.150129/page-5

Pics show the 'turning screw' and the little cog

On the off-chance - does anyone know where I could get these or have them knocking around?

Hi I have some spare headlight parts