Enhancing my centre console

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I've been bugged by the lack of a visible location for my phone. It was just sitting in the tray under the armrest, charging from the socket, and I kept forgetting it was there when I got out of the car. Either that or, when I remember, I got fed up with having to lift and reset the armrest every time. Also, not having it visible meant I got out of the habit of running CamerAlert.

So, I've been tinkering. First off, I acquired myself a Brodit phone cradle, but instead of pairing it with a car-specific Pro-Clip, I decided to fix it horizontally on the console, next to the cupholders. That's why, the other day, I was asking whether there was a dummy insert to cover over the cabriolet switch slot. Having established there isn't, I've located it where I want it, but for the moment, it's rather inelegantly secured with blutack (Blush!). It's an active cradle, with a black iPhone cable clipped into the base, so the phone just slots straight onto it.

Next, I picked up the ashtray insert for the smaller cupholder (I already had the bigger one given FOC on pick-up day). Lastly, I ordered one of the cheapie Chinese storage trays that @Bristle Hound (http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a4-s4-rs4-b8-5-armrest-tidy-storage-tray.250861/ ) put us onto a while back. That's dropped into place over the charger cable, meaning only abou half an inch of it is visible behind the cradle.

Here it is:

P1000647_zpslaraj1us.jpg

P1000646_zpslamgm4th.jpg

P1000645_zpsnkhuotme.jpg

Sadly, the blutack is still visible. I'll fix that eventually, but in the meantime, I've managed to solve my phone problem.

Reactions: Keef and Bristle Hound
I've been bugged by the lack of a visible location for my phone. It was just sitting in the tray under the armrest, charging from the socket, and I kept forgetting it was there when I got out of the car. Either that or, when I remember, I got fed up with having to lift and reset the armrest every time. Also, not having it visible meant I got out of the habit of running CamerAlert.

So, I've been tinkering. First off, I acquired myself a Brodit phone cradle, but instead of pairing it with a car-specific Pro-Clip, I decided to fix it horizontally on the console, next to the cupholders. That's why, the other day, I was asking whether there was a dummy insert to cover over the cabriolet switch slot. Having established there isn't, I've located it where I want it, but for the moment, it's rather inelegantly secured with blutack (Blush!). It's an active cradle, with a black iPhone cable clipped into the base, so the phone just slots straight onto it.

Next, I picked up the ashtray insert for the smaller cupholder (I already had the bigger one given FOC on pick-up day). Lastly, I ordered one of the cheapie Chinese storage trays that @Bristle Hound put us onto a while back. That's dropped into place over the charger cable, meaning only abou half an inch of it is visible behind the cradle.

Here it is:

P1000647_zpslaraj1us.jpg

P1000646_zpslamgm4th.jpg

P1000645_zpsnkhuotme.jpg

Sadly, the blutack is still visible. I'll fix that eventually, but in the meantime, I've managed to solve my phone problem.
Looks good Jeff :thumbs up:

TBH I ****** hate phones. Must be something to do with my old job I reckon lol
Anyway, my phone stays in my pocket connected to the vehicle's bluetooth. I'm very selective to who I answer too as well ;) Drives my family nuts lol

Can't find that storage tray. Any link to where to get it. I'd really like to get one.

Ooh I like that Jeff! Any chance of a pic without phone showing the clip fixing?
I've just rerouted the ami cable to the arm rest to use my storage tray

Ooh I like that Jeff! Any chance of a pic without phone showing the clip fixing?
I've just rerouted the ami cable to the arm rest to use my storage tray
P1000648_zpsqj2o0mkv.jpg

It won't work with an AMI cable. The Brodit active mount will only accept a pin with the exact same size housing as an Apple OEM.

Reactions: Keef
Suggestion. Make a bracket to fix the cradle to the bottom of the storage slot underneath. Then you can remove the rubber liner and fix to the plastic. Then when you sell the car the rubber liner will cover the screw holes.

Suggestion. Make a bracket to fix the cradle to the bottom of the storage slot underneath. Then you can remove the rubber liner and fix to the plastic. Then when you sell the car the rubber liner will cover the screw holes.
Way beyond my capabilities.

Oh, let me see what I can do. I'm in Sheffield so would have to post. I'll get back to you.

Reactions: jdp1962
@jdp1962 - Is there any way you could Dremel a slot in the storage tray for the phone charger cable. That way the tray could fit more flush
Just a thought ...

I must be must be missing something, but as I always have my armrest extended forward, the small hole and the under armrest storage area aren't visible. I just got an iPhone 6s and that still fits in the slot down the side of the cup holders with a charger into it.
Again I don't really see the lead as it's covered by the armrest. I've even forgotten what's under the armrest I lift it that infrequently, so doesn't matter if tidy or a mess under there, out of sight out of mind...

Hi, where did you get the smaller ashtray from, been looking for one on these for ages? Thanks

This is my effort to locate my phone on the centre console
I did the same on my previous car:-

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ami-cable-reroute-to-armrest.140772/

Only difference is the cable jive extension is a lightning cable in lieu of the old 30 pin.
Only problem is, is that my stupid iPhone 6 is too long to sit in the storage tray so ive been using the slot.

IMG 2411 IMG 2414 IMG 2415

Instead of all that cable re routing and hard wiring, this is an alternative.
http://www.viseeostore.com/viseeo-tune2air-wma3000a.html
It allows connection both to this device and to the Bluetooth phone prep simultaneously.
Each time you get in the car you don't have to plug your phone in, even if it is in the boot in a bag it still works.
I use one and it has been great, you can even use any iPhone, 30pin or lightning as the viseeo connects to the AMI and the iPhone connects by Bluetooth.

Thanks @jabowsi my car already supports Bluetooth streaming, however this doesn't let you browse all you music, only streams what's currently playing. I know there are many different ways but I just like having the ami connection in the armrest... Where it should be

@Keef. I know what you mean. The Viseeo does support music browse and even shows on the DIS too which you can control from you steering wheel buttons.

This is my effort to locate my phone on the centre console
I did the same on my previous car:-

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ami-cable-reroute-to-armrest.140772/

Only difference is the cable jive extension is a lightning cable in lieu of the old 30 pin.
Only problem is, is that my stupid iPhone 6 is too long to sit in the storage tray so ive been using the slot.

View attachment 69829 View attachment 69831 View attachment 69830

Hi what is the insert you have in the reses with the SLine badge on it ? in the left & right photo.

Reactions: Keef
Hi guys, does anyone know if the tray insert fits a 2011 B8?
Many thanks