Engine shudder, Flashing engine light

KJBA

Reaction score
Hi All,

As the title says, my engine light started flashing and the engine shudders when the acceleration is pushed. I have done my research and everything is saying that I need to change my ignition coils.

My question is, is this definitely the only cause? as Audi allegedly changed these at the start of the year as part of a recall.

Scan with vcds is the best way to start diagnosing this, but it does sound like you have a misfire. Ignition coils are the most common cause of this.

If you have access to a scanner, you can find out which cylinder is misfiring, then swap the coils around and see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder. If it does, you have found the cause. Same can be done to check spark plugs.

Youl have a dead ignition coil or spark plug. As above for diagnosing.

You can also unplug one at a time, youl notice one won't make a difference. That will be one to replace.

I just changed all 4 of mine for piece of mind and kept the 3 other good ones. ECP usually stock these as do GSF.

Thanks for your responses, scan came back with the following:

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 -
16688 - Cylinder 4
P0304 - 001 - Misfire Detected

Think 4 is passenger side. Swap coils with one next to it (3). Clear faults, start car and it should have moved to no3 then. If it has you need a new ignition coil. If it hasn't, then you need a plug.

I'll try this tomorrow, thanks for your help!

Yep it swapped from 4 to 3, bought a new coil from euro car parts, but it doesn't go all the way in like the others, so I'll have to back

Attachments

• IMG_20151003_132342.jpg
    IMG_20151003_132342.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 197
One thing I've learned about coil packs is that to avoid constant issues with them is to always replace them in full sets and always use original parts. It's expensive, but well worth it in the end - once one of the coils has gone, the next one will be gone soon enough.

I got a new one this afternoon, Seems all good so far :).

I was considering getting a full set (I still am), because as you said the rest will most likely go. When I bought the car in January one was faulty, but not misfiring, then Audi changed them free of charge, I'm starting to wonder if they replaced them with used ones, how long do they usually last?

Thanks for your help guys.

I bought a full set of R8's for under £100. Been fine for 10k so far. Got my old 3 as spares in my garage.

Nice, I was actually thinking of getting the R8 ones, but right now I need to focus on getting a NOx sensor :weary:

What petrol engine mate? Did you check the spark plug on cylinder 4? Just hope it's not got the dreaded oil problem mine had. I changed coil packs and plugs and all went well for a while...
The sparks will tell you the story. Just whip them out and take a look..
Coil packs should last at least 80K plus...

Last edited:
Sorry for such a late response, It's a 2004 2.0 FSI engine, I only swapped the ignition coils around at the time, didn't check the spark plugs, gave them a look, but didn't take them out (I wasn't too sure how).
What was the oil problem yours had?