any one tried these , if so whats the verdict.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Still trawling around to find a way forward with the lowering the suspension on the avant quattro bus.
saw these on ECS website and did a bit more looking into them, despite the lower cost/budget end of the target market they do have a lot of ggod reports etc, anyone tried them on here and if so whats the format, good or bad, in the middle.
I dont want to throw big money at it to be honest and find out it's not really what i want so thought i start a bit lower spec to see what the form is with drop etc, then go from there, worse case they wont last forever but i'll know if coilovers are the way to go or not, then upgrade to better quality setup if need be.
I'm not looking to go street racing or fast road driving, just normal usage but the advantage of getting the rideheight better than its current stance.

any feedback would be great.

item in question

Coil1

I was looking at these before I went for the AP Coilovers and that was only because they are made in the same factory as KW's. The contact number for them is also the same as KW.

But I read loads of reviews of the JOM's on the net before I went for the AP's and all were good!

I was also going to use DPM but they'd shut down for holidays when I wanted to order some and couldn't wait for them to get back.....I did find them cheaper @ £186.00 inc p&p but that was from Venom and I'd heard a lot of people complain about their Customer Service as well as other things.

I'm sure they will be fine as long as you're not into driving on track!

The ride quality drops off after a few years , if they had any to begin with and shocks can start to leak after a few years too on cheap coilovers .

Like brakes and tyres , suspension is a paramount area and worth spending good money on .

FK steer coilovers any better ?
what is the difference between H&R springs and coilover Fk - in the ride i mean .... Yesterday i saw on here B7 avant on H&R and i really love it ! The height is perfect for me so what you think - only good springs or FK coils ?

Agree with you Dimi, it sits perfectly imho too, though I'm sure the car in question is a fwd. Rob's issue is; with quattro B7's still seem to end up with a 'nose high' stance, even after employing lowering springs.

Seems that the perenial B5 perches still seem to be a requirement to even up the stance, when used in conjunction with lowering springs. Having scanned around, seems the perches give a further drop of 12mm - 19mm (1/2 to 3/4 inch in old money )

This threads got a quattro avant on H&Rs, http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/anyone-got-an-a4-b7-lowered-on-35mm-h-r-springs.103986/

Still not quite equal arch gaps but close. I tried B5 cups with my 35mm H&Rs and it was a little too low at the front for me, could no longer straddle those centralised speed bump things. I removed them and made do with the small difference but spaced the front out slightly more to help hide it.
Joms and FKs etc are all fine considering the price but they will corrode like mad over one winter so proper greasing of the threads etc is a must. They are comfortable but with that comes a draw back especially on an avant in that they are sprung relatively soft. So you'll have to be carefull with how low you set them as the car will drop considerably when loaded up.

thanks for the feedback thus far guys, really has helped bring the situation into a better light.
as gary says , really want to get that tractor nose up , well down or even level would be good.
Ajax, you have just answered my next question really, and that was , what about loading etc , since we take out the big woofers daily the back of my avant does drop a bit so dont want it sinking to much more if they are a softer setup.

Ive used JOM on all my cars and currently on the A4 been a year with no problems so far can't go wrong for the price.

thanks chap for that, probably going to give them a try as they dont seem to be too bad, like i say i wanted a starting point and these seem a good one, just need to find seller that has some in stock.
cheers
rob

i know but i really want to get the front down inline with the rears now, not really a stance thing in the modding sense just that word creeps in to the conversation....you know what i mean chap.

I can vouch that these are good, had them on 6months and all is ok, adjusted them the other day and they moved fine! Bit bumpy at times but they are better than the standard se suspension to me. Im quite pleased eith them but i know others wont go near them

Also got mine from DPM and had no problems, was very helpful!

thanks for the repsonse chaps, seems like they are worth a go so ordering a set on friday, i may touch wood get them on next week work permitting.
cheers
rob