Rear camera wire mod.

RoyC

Reaction score
I am trying to change my rear camera but the wire from the new camera is diferent to the wire on my existing camera.

Does any one know how to change this, a single wire.
HTB1u77jGFXXXXbCaXXXq6xXFXXXy

HTB1u77jGFXXXXbCaXXXq6xXFXXXy 2

To this, a twin tail to conect to my video screen.

1 2

Last edited:
Are they both OEM camera's or aftermarket?

I think top one is OEM, but my existing numberplate camera has the red & yellow plugs set up.
I want to replace the number plate camera so that I can fit OEM LED numberplate lights.
So I need to alter the top camera wires to Red/Yelow plugs so that I can plug into my existing set up.

I'm not sure it is Audi use a fakra connector for video from the camera, like in this image. (gray/green connectors)
25_max.jpg

I take it your current camera/grip moulding is after-market otherwise you should just use the A8 LED lights.

I'm not sure it is Audi use a fakra connector for video from the camera, like in this image. (gray/green connectors)

I take it your current camera/grip moulding is after-market otherwise you should just use the A8 LED lights.

this is my curent setup so I need to convert to these sort of plugs

I have these on order
VAG 4H09430214H0943022

It's difficult to see the connector on the new camera, you don't have any other pictures or a link to the camera manufacture or seller.

Just cut a solder them
It's only like a coax, inner and outer

So, the inner wire solders to yellow plug and the outer sheath solders to red plug or visa versa ?

Thank you for this.

Yours (top one) looks like an aftermarket Chinese one I fitted to a MK6 Golf. It had its own loom that went from the camera to head unit then just needed coding in via VCDS

So, the inner wire solders to yellow plug and the outer sheath solders to red plug or visa versa ?

Thank you for this.

No mate the yellow plug only, it has two stages to it, inner and outer

The red plug is for power

Reactions: RoyC
I think you would struggle to fit the second one as the handle is part of the main moulding so you would have to cutting & sealing.

The first one does have a better picture of the wires, there is actually 2 wires the right looks like a Fakra connector and the wires on the left look like the power wires.

Reactions: RoyC
I think you would struggle to fit the second one as the handle is part of the main moulding so you would have to cutting & sealing.

The second one would be the easy one.
The handle part of the existing boot release catch just slips out of the main moulding, the whole mouding is held together with just two screws once it is out of the tailgate.