2000 A3 1.8t clicking at low speeds?

jevans3d

Reaction score
Hi,

New here and just bought an A3 1.8t, it has full service history all the way up to the current 155k miles.

But... the other day when in traffic I noticed a clicking sound when crawling along. Noticed it happening when pulling away really really slowly. Which I did this on purpose to listen out for it.

I've searched the forums and can only find mentions of low speed clicking when turning. I seem to have it steering or when just going straight, disappears as I speed up.

Is this something anyone has experienced or knows what it might be?

Other than that the car sounds and drives great.

Also just to add, its not like click....... click....... etc Its more like click click click click...

Cv joints have gone I'm afraid, less than £40 for complete driveshafts on eBay.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll have them checked by a different garage. I say different as its literally just had an MOT and they should of come up on that. Also, a cv joint is more of a knocking isn't it? at least ive always found it to be. Again, also it would increase in frequency wouldn't it?
This is a constant frequency until it just stops. I'm guessing at about 10 mph.

All the same im kind of hoping you are right and will get them checked tomorrow and report back. Thanks

You have checked tyres? Mine clicks turning tight corners slowly. That's definitely mechanical.
I had clicking on my jag when they fitted the weights on inside of wheel and touched the hub on rotation.

Cv's tend to click rather than knock, especially when turning or on full lock at lower speeds.