710N diverter valve testing - valve closes halfway then holds vacuum. Faulty?

TheNumber13

Reaction score
Hi,
Trying to figure out my faults... Possible DV issue.

So I've taken the diverter valve off and done the test where you push the valve up, and put your thumb on the top hole.
When I release the valve at the bottom, it immediately closes a bit over halfway then holds vacuum indefinately. Is this a faulty valve or not?

Everything I've read about this test just sais a working valve will hold vacuum, a faulty one will lose it. I'm not sure where mine fits into this, since it goes over halfway then holds it, and I cant find anything relevant on my searches.
Cheers guys,
Pat

(*edit - When closed the valve seems fine, I cant get any air through. Problem is when letting off throttle, can hear what sounds like flutter/turbo spooling down. Diagnostic cable is on its way, they've sent me the wrong one twice. Mainly want to know if my DV needs replacing to help isolate other faults when my cable arrives.)

Reactions: Mav190sline
there is no vacuum when you put your thumb over the top of it so when you let go of the diaphragm from underneath it will drop; as it drops it will create a vacuum in that sealed expanding volume; when that vacuum becomes strong enough it will stop the diaphragm from dropping. I'd say its working fine?

I've just tried it on a spare (old) valve I had (it was working fine though when I changed it; honest) and mine does the same thing. ****** hell the spring is stiff isn't it!

Reactions: TheNumber13
That actually makes perfect sense. And thanks for testing it out also, good on ya. Yeah that spring is much stronger than I thought, thought it mighta been the problem at first!

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Reactions: Alex C
mine is like this also (thought it was dodge but i guess if it holds any vacuum it's working) and it goes down most the way (then you feel it suck on your finger) but you can still see it open like maybe 5mm or something