LED in door handle retrofit

SRT

Reaction score
OK - After reading an older thread from 8 P chassis forum (appols):whistle2:
I would very much like to undertake the LED handle change for my 2016MY A 3.Yes I know I should have specced it but really believed it was a part of the comfort pack and sunroof that I did specc:blush:
I have spent ages trying to locate the part number for the interior handle activator with the pre-cut slot.
I have heard from a parts person that the handles all have the same part number and that there are seperate diode light and holder part numbers but they cant say if the handle soul (part number 8V3 837 020 C 4PK) will have the required slot:blink:
I am planning to undertake the puddle/warning light fitting with the help of a well known poster here:salute: but he also draws a blank on this blessed part number:shrug: Is there anyone out there who can assist in this search please:blush:
Thank you.
Mods. I asked on the 8 P but got no reply yet so posting here and hoping I havent broken any rules:confusion:

I made this change on my 8P and had to replace all handles.

It does make sense to commonise the handles and either fit an LED or some sort of grommet - I'd be inclined to find a car on a forecourt or Autotrader that has the ILP and talk to your parts guy about the connector, LED and handle part numbers and if they differ from your current door handle part numbers.

BTW the 8P ones were red and looked much better ;o(

I made this change on my 8P and had to replace all handles.

talk to your parts guy about the connector, LED and handle part numbers and if they differ from your current door handle part numbers.

Thanks but thats what I have done so far and he (parts) said he used an ILP car and got the same result:confusion:
I suspect its got to do with using a chassis no thats got the ILP fitted???:crying:
I would be happy to pay the cost for the parts but just dont want to end up with what I already have:culpability:
They are red too:neutral:

Hmm maybe it's a case of just taking a flyer and buying one - I'll have a look at work tomorrow I have access to some technical images.

White on the 8V - guess you could replace them with red fairly easily.

Managed to access them from home. Disregard the part numbers as from LHD.

If you look inside your handle bezel do you have the cutout or any sort of blanking plate that may be clipped in place of the light lens ?

Pics below show the handle cutout where the lens clips in, fixings to main door card and the last one is of my car with it fitted (8V) :-

zkMEoVPl

0StqAjXK

mIMnBRKo

Reactions: SRT
Hi and thank you for the info and the pictures:salute:
I have been suffering with some rotten bug at present and reluctant for the mo to have a go at the door card removal.:crying:
I have checked out a few models with the latest LED which are red now and then looked at mine from the car interior side and dont see much by way of any obvious indent hence my feelings I need the part number from a car with existing ILP :blue:
I found a pretty good French website showing some of the installation method but this guy used complete new door harness:rolleyes new:
Unfortunately he did not say what secret? specification you need to use to obtain the handle with the pre-cut slot for the LED:crushed:
Ive checked a few advertised installers who quote some pricey figures with one mentioning a need to change door control modules and potentially a new CECM:blink: I have seen no reference to control module replacement elsewhere and my intended route is with the assistance of a regular guy on here who is pretty sharp in understanding the way to do it but he too draws a blank over the "ready made" handles.
Regards.
Stuart.

Reactions: Rob2k68
^^ That sounds crazy needing new door modules I cannot believe that would be the case.

Surely installation will be very similar to the 8P - I can't remember exactly what wires I used - may have came with the LED's or I used repair wires from Audi but these simply just pinned into empty pin ins on the door module connector then it needed to be activated in VCDS.

When I done my 8P back in 2012 the extremely helpful parts guy I used was from Cardiff Audi. Might be a long shot but this is his email : chris.hazzard@monmotors.com

You DONT need new door modules

A3 8v is
Puddle and warning lights is
Pin 5 ground
Pin 16 live

Door handle illumination is pin 3 live

Reactions: Naim, dandav1985 and SRT

A3 8v is
Pin 5 ground
Pin 16 live

Thank you for that. Its kind of what I thought too, not needing the modules I mean as I am pretty lost with wiring etc although I did do quite a bit back in the days with Haynes manuals:readit:
Still hoping someone knows for sure about the replacement handles and how to go about getting them:sos:
Have contacted Audi but they just say we dont do that or similar:shrug:

Have you tried Stoke Audi parts they are very helpful ?

Thanks for that.
I have sent an email to them for advice etc. Fingers crossed.

I got the led defuser from a 8p and cut the door handles on my 8v to suit. There is a rectangular box marked on the inside of the door handle where the diffuser fits into. Surprisingly it can be cut through with a Stanley knife. Saves a bomb on new handle prices.
Mark

Reactions: ZeA38VSport and SRT
I got the led defuser from a 8p and cut the door handles on my 8v to suit. There is a rectangular box marked on the inside of the door handle where the diffuser fits into. Surprisingly it can be cut through with a Stanley knife. Saves a bomb on new handle prices.
Mark

More nerve than me I`m afraid although I have done the door bottoms with that method and nearly lost a thumb:coldsweat:
I have now managed to place an order (t/y Rob) and will see how things go later when I get to grips with puddle lights etc with a very helpful chap from Crewe:smiley: Trouble is I will have to order two more as I forgot I have a four door:flushed:

Reactions: t8ups, Rob2k68 and Wondering Soul
Just to follow up. I have now received the handles + led diode but I see they are a clear finish and not red as I thought they would be. Is that correct? I know Rob has white light but I could have sworn the latest were red. Its not that big a deal tho:friendly wink: I now just have to wait for the right time to get the things fitted.Excellent service from Stoke btw:witless:

Just swap the LEDs for red ones

Hmm - I was sent clear ones so I am unsure if they were meant to be red. Ive emailed Stoke with a query. Maybe some kind person with the latest A 3 ILP could confirm they should be red or white:blink:?
Thanks.

@Daveotto - Hi Dave, as above what colour are the LEDs in your interior in door handles ? - I'm guessing white the same as mine.

:crying:I must be going nuts as I took a photo of red led in door but it was a bleedin A 4 and I just thought they were the same:whistle2:
I did say I havent been well:blue:
I shall now appologise to Stoke:grey:
Thanks guys.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
If it's anything like the cup-holder LED ring, then reversing the polarity will make it glow red instead of white. You could always try that.

If it's anything like the cup-holder LED ring, then reversing the polarity will make it glow red instead of white. You could always try that.

This isn't the case on all LEDs
It's led specific, trying it can blow the wrong type led

:crying:I must be going nuts as I took a photo of red led in door but it was a bleedin A 4 and I just thought they were the same:whistle2:
I did say I havent been well:blue:
I shall now appologise to Stoke:grey:
Thanks guys.

How did you get on with this? Did you complete the install in the end? Got any pictures? :friends:

Someone also just got a single LED (I think off of ebay), drilled a hole and glued it to the existing door handle. Wired it up to the door module and worked like a charm.

I've been trying to get my door module to work with the MMI ambient lighting control, but for some reason, I cannot get anything to communicate with the door module to control the light (speaker grille or the other very rare door sill lighting). I've only been able to get the light to be controlled with the interior dimmer dial via the headlights.

Door led strip in door pocket video:

Found the member that got it working @OzA3. Controlled via MMI Interface - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/8v-vcds-mods.206515/page-57#post-2832324

Here is the wiring diagram
Tapatalk jpeg 1474321959759

Last edited:

A3 8v is
Pin 5 ground
Pin 16 live

so according to the OEM method, the door handle illumination is connected to pin 3 ? (In the plug with the pink clip on it)
I thought pin 3 is controlled by the interior front dash dial button instead of controlled by MMI? (Or is the handle led OEM originally not controlled by MMI?)

What about door handle illumination of the rear doors?

Handle illumination of the rear doors is connected to pin 1 of the door control module. Unless, of course, if your rear doors don't have control modules. Some A3 don't.

A3 8v is
Pin 5 ground
Pin 16 live

Hello there!

If I use mentioned pins, will I be able to control brightnes via MMI? I have coded it already, and footwell lights work great. Now I'm planning to retrofit theese.
Thank you.

the door handle leds aren’t controlled by the MMI originally. It is controlled by the dial which also controls your dashboard lighting.

the door handle leds aren’t controlled by the MMI originally. It is controlled by the dial which also controls your dashboard lighting.
Thanks for fast response. But what door lights are controled trough MMI? What for is that option on MMI? Do you know?

I dont know about the Bose speaker Leds but usually the door lights ( warning light, puddle light) aren’t adjustable (oem)

You can controle the footwell lights, cup holder lights via MMI

The speaker lights are controlled with the door menu in mmi and the cupholder lights with the front menu

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Naim
Looking for some help on coding for the interior door handle illumination. I made the connections in the passenger door so far. Pin 3 in the t32 connector for power and then other wire to ground. I know my ground is good as the other lighting connected to same ground wire all work and the connections are soldered. I went through the coding via vcds and still not lighting up. I searched for "tuer" or "griff" and Türgriffbeleuchtung changed from "not installed" to "installed" and I found one where I changed the value from 0 to 100. Up to this point ive been successful in adding and coding the footwells, cupholder and puddle lights.

Looking for some help on coding for the interior door handle illumination. I made the connections in the passenger door so far. Pin 3 in the t32 connector for power and then other wire to ground. I know my ground is good as the other lighting connected to same ground wire all work and the connections are soldered. I went through the coding via vcds and still not lighting up. I searched for "tuer" or "griff" and Türgriffbeleuchtung changed from "not installed" to "installed" and I found one where I changed the value from 0 to 100. Up to this point ive been successful in adding and coding the footwells, cupholder and puddle lights.

Door handle illumination is done via long coding in the door modules. No adaptations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smurf S3
Door handle illumination is done via long coding in the door modules. No adaptations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omg. so easy. It works. I keep thinking all the modules are like the central electrics and done through adaptations. thank you.