16396 and 16727 faults

S3AMJ

OEM+
Reaction score
Morning all!

So I got my car scanned couple days ago because the engine light came up.

Noticed my oil was low, so topped it up and engine light went out!

The scan logged these codes 16396 and 16727.

Checked them out on Ross-Tech Wiki and comes up with these.......

Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal too High.

Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)

Anyone had this issue before and how did they rectify it?

Many Thanks,

Ash

Hi,

I had these two exact codes and got it rectified yesterday. I bought a new Camshaft position sensor (about $70 australian) and the codes haven't appeared in about 70km of driving since. They used to appear within just a few k's.

I followed advice found around the forum here and rosstech first: Checked all engine related fuses. Checked the condition of the plug going into the sensor. Ran an eye over the easy to see wiring (which wasnt much), wasnt sure how to check it all easily. I was going to check the timing also, but it was easier for me just to get to the sensor to change it. Managed to get it swapped out removing only the pipe above it, getting a small socket in while pulling the plastic cover out of the way.

Old one didn't look dirty or messed up in any way, but swapped it out and no more codes.

Setpoint not reached is symptomatic of the cam position fault code... as the cam position sensor signal is throwing an error then the ECU can't see the position for when the VVT kicks over and throws the 16396 code...

Looks like it could be the cam position sensor that's faulty in this as case

<tuffty/>

That is true for my case, I checked to see when the fault codes were first appearing, and I have a reading of 16727 showing up alone. Then a couple of minutes later 16396 showed up also. (This was all before I put in the new sensor).

Hi,

I had these two exact codes and got it rectified yesterday. I bought a new Camshaft position sensor (about $70 australian) and the codes haven't appeared in about 70km of driving since. They used to appear within just a few k's.

I followed advice found around the forum here and rosstech first: Checked all engine related fuses. Checked the condition of the plug going into the sensor. Ran an eye over the easy to see wiring (which wasnt much), wasnt sure how to check it all easily. I was going to check the timing also, but it was easier for me just to get to the sensor to change it. Managed to get it swapped out removing only the pipe above it, getting a small socket in while pulling the plastic cover out of the way.

Old one didn't look dirty or messed up in any way, but swapped it out and no more codes.

Thanks, great little write up too! I suspected that maybe the problem, just noticed that power top end of the Rev range had died slightly, did you notice that when your sensor packed in?

Setpoint not reached is symptomatic of the cam position fault code... as the cam position sensor signal is throwing an error then the ECU can't see the position for when the VVT kicks over and throws the 16396 code...

Looks like it could be the cam position sensor that's faulty in this as case

<tuffty/>

Makes sense really, thanks Tuffty! Hopefully that'll all it will be, like I mention above to @TheNumber13 with the sensor not working correctly, I'm assuming the VVT will cause a drop in power further up the Rev range?

Glad I could help.
Never noticed any drop in power - but it could've been faulty the whole time i've had the car. Only got a cable onto it a week ago after having it a couple of months.
I thought it felt a bit better afterward replacing it though, and logged a peak air intake of about 5% more, so it seems to have had a positive effect.

Glad I could help.
Never noticed any drop in power - but it could've been faulty the whole time i've had the car. Only got a cable onto it a week ago after having it a couple of months.
I thought it felt a bit better afterward replacing it though, and logged a peak air intake of about 5% more, so it seems to have had a positive effect.

That'll be my first point of call, I'll get a new sensor ordered up and fit it this weekend. Thanks again!

Thanks, great little write up too! I suspected that maybe the problem, just noticed that power top end of the Rev range had died slightly, did you notice that when your sensor packed in?

Makes sense really, thanks Tuffty! Hopefully that'll all it will be, like I mention above to @TheNumber13 with the sensor not working correctly, I'm assuming the VVT will cause a drop in power further up the Rev range?

The VVT is most liekly still working but the ECU can't see it working... VVT on S3's only comes in for a small amount of time anyway... can't remember off hand without looking at the relevant maps

<tuffty/>

Wow, that is cheap. Under half what I paid for genuine Bosch replacement (on sale).
I would be hesitant since it doesn't even specify the manufacturer... But at that price, assuming it works, I suppose it's a good way to at least confirm that it is the sensor itself causing your faults and not some hidden wiring or something. And if it doesn't last as long as a Bosch, your not much out of pocket to replace it with a genuine further down the track.
I prefer known manufacturers, but if there's no good deals on a genuine then it might tide you over.

Personally I would only buy genuine/Bosch sensors... buy cheap, buy twice... try the ASN parts request...

<tuffty/>

Yeah I'd rather use Bosch to be fair, contacted Audi, they wanted £127..... Ridicules! Tried the parts request on here too, no reply.

i have a non oem part in there now.
Its such a basic part i personally dont think you have anything to worry about. The construction was exactly the same as oem. I did have pictures but cant find them. turns out i didnt even need a sensor, but kept it in there, oem is now a spare.

Did you get the same codes flagging up Karl? Was that what led you to believe you needed to change the cam sensor?

New issue...... Car struggles to start, then pops. After a couple starts it starts and runs fine. This still related to the cam positioning sensor? Also I've noticed that the tappets have gotten louder. Is this not showing signs of low oil pressure!?

No I've got it on order mate, should get it in the next day or two. Just concerned I'm gonna cause damage driving it in its current state. It's my daily.

Thinking maybe it could be the oil pick up pipe being bunged up causing low oil pressure which could effect the cam position sensor? I'm gonna do an oil change using quantum 5w 40, oil filter soon, would it be worth wipping off the sump and giving it a good clean while I'm at it and fitting a new oil pick up pipe?