S3 Problems - Video Evidence, if you can you spare 10mins?

AndyB-S3

Reaction score
Afternoon Chaps/Chappettes,

Please if you could spare 10mins have a quick watch of my video and see if you can spot anything.

I hope it's pretty evident what is going on but when garage had it in they couldn't spot/diagnose anything. This started after approx 10mins warming up where it was fine and drove as normal then the problems started occuring. When I get my proper video editor working I will upload video from the beginning and better quality so you can see the difference..

Cheers.
Andy

Yup that's what i told them and always thought it was but for some reason they couldn't replicate it over the 2 days they had it?? As soon as i get it back it happens..

It is hit and miss with Audi service. I took my TTS in because it was quite jerky when pulling off, took it to a guy who said there was absolutely no issue at all, went to another local dealer he was in the car for 30 seconds and said 100% needs mechatronic unit replacing and booked it in there and then. Just show them that video, its evident enough.

Reactions: AndyB-S3
Definite clutch slip - no doubt about it.

Next time, I'd get the mechanic to come out with you for a run as soon as you arrive so its all warmed up. Often when you report these things they just take the car around the block, so no way can these type of issues be diagnosed. Get the mechanic in the car, you drive it, you show them, they agree. No question.

Either

1. You're riding the clutch pedal :p
2. You're really bad at changing gear :p
3. It's clutch slip

No surprise, 8P, 8V manual has always had chocolate clutches.

And welcome to the Audi dealership experience :)

"They all do that sir"
"Couldn't replicate the problem"
Etc.

:D

Reactions: Blackwhite, Wondering Soul, Simon L and 1 other person
Probably all 3?!?!....

Reactions: veeeight and Simon L
Clutch mate!! Mine did the same after 25k miles and was changed under warranty.

That's good news dragon. I am only on just about 20k so fingers crossed they sort mine!! Cheers

They (DSG) do, by design, when taking up the drive.

But rare as a problem at higher speeds or changing gears, more likely to see a clutch slip issue after engine performance mods.

Not sure LF. I would imagine they could as am sure they have twin clutch plates so more to go wrong. Lol

Edit: i wouldn't listen to me..have no idea on modern cars really.. haha

Last edited:
Definitely DSG clutch slip, my remapped GTI did that until I reduced the torque a bit.

Me neither, don't really like opening the bonnet. :welcoming:

****** hell though , more S3 problems. I guess we'll all look back in years to come and have a good laugh at how bad the actual build quality and mechanical reliability on the S3 really was

Chrise mines is a manual tho.. but yes still clutch slip..

Yes simon think that will be the case..but to be fair this and the infamous turbo rattle are the only 2 real problems I have had.. small niggles have been rattles in the interior and my driver seat does not lock in place...some days it slips back a notch and makes me crap myself. Lol..

lol. I too have many rattles and the odd loose piece (Fixed, actually the only thing fixed) I guess I read too much Audi hype on this one

Oh my bad, someone mentioned DSG earlier!

Yeah only problem I've had so far is turbo rattle and my drivers side seat bolster looks like I've done 100k miles but I've done 5k. Just going to try and ignore it and replace it before I sell the car in a few years time. Leather was way better in the golf!

lol. I too have many rattles and the odd loose piece (Fixed, actually the only thing fixed) I guess I read too much Audi hype on this one
This happens on all cars. My mates Focus ST had rattles everywhere, and crashed over every single pothole our awful roads have on them. The BMW's I've had have been rattly as hell as well, and on bimmer forums lots of people reporting pieces of plastic falling off and various things here and there after very little ownership.

What it comes down to us is the best of a bad bunch, and I think Audi falls well into that category. I look at the quality of Mercedes now compared to how they were 5-10 years ago, and it's frankly a joke. Mazda's look better equipped and look like they have a more solid interior than any A-E class these days tbh...

Pot luck I guess, my focus st estate was the best car I've had for being solid (Handled a damn sight better than this S3 too).
Quite frankly, although my glacier white s3 saloon looks superb (Still after 6 months) i'd be happy to go back in time and drive past the Audi dealership.

Reactions: Snibo
Do not mention the seat bolster mines only done 10k and its cracked to bits.

I think I can hear a fair rattle somewhere, quite annoying

Just noticed something else to add to my wee list. Start/stop hasn't worked at all today.. anyone in the know think this could be related to my potential clutch slip problem??

Yes, assistance systems (e.g.: Start/Stop, ACC etc.) not working, can be indicative of other problems elsewhere.

For example, my ACC stopped working (and put up a display in the DIS) when my Variable Camshaft Assembly stopped working.

Cheers V8.

This is such a right Pita!!!!..

Have told the garage and sent them my footage too so hopefully they can fit me in today to get it looked at again.

@veeeight, whats the chances its the Clutch master cylinder? If this is present on new S3's.. just looking back through previous posts on here and came across that as a potential. Gives the impression of slip..?

So they are confident it isn't clutch slip. Otherwise it would be happening all the time. Sods law i took them out in it and in 30mins only briefly happened whereas yesterday it was happening all the time!!. They are going to send my video off to Audi Technical and see if they can shed any light.. What a PITA!!!!! :-(

My money would be on the friction plates first, but I suppose a non-reacting master (or slave) cylinder could be a culprit.

Yes, if it was friction plates, it would happen all/most of the time, but sometimes its also temperature dependent.

On the plus side they are replacing my exhaust hanger under warranty. Woo hoo...

So there is officially nothing wrong with the car.. even after watching the video and experiencing the problem, albeit mildly, they have sent me on my merry way and effectively told me to live with it..

I think it's time to go to another dealer for a 2nd opinion!!!!

Just been looking at an Abarth 500 for my tootlin aboot toon car and an AC cobra rep with 5.7 V8 for my fun car.. both for same ££ as S3.. haha

Reactions: Simon L
Just been looking at an Abarth 500 for my tootlin aboot toon car and an AC cobra rep with 5.7 V8 for my fun car.. both for same ££ as S3.. haha

Cobra would be fun.............................mpg on the other hand, rather chronic I fear!!

Nearly bought an Abarth a couple of years ago , had a run in one and it was a hoot, but it is mega tiny, made my mini feel huge !

Yeah Simon mpg would actually turn to spg.. (smiles).. haha would only be a weekend car and maybe the occasional summers day etc.. whenever that would be..

Yeah I could imagine they are small Bainie. I had an Aygo previously so will be along the same lines I guess. Could be fun though, there is a special edition type that puts out 160bhp.. could be perfect for nipping in an out of traffic through town. :)

Wee update to this thread..

Had a call from the dealer and they have escalated the problem to Audi Technical in the hope they can help resolve the problem,

Initially they ruled out clutch slip and have been looking into fueling problems etc but this morning they phoned and said they were out in it more yesterday and the technician came back and said it was clutch slip.. but it's not like normal clutch slip and doesn't do it all the time..

They are calling it intermittent clutch slip but do not know what is causing this?? they are waiting on Audi Technical to advise them on the way to go forward.

Hopefully they will just replace clutch and what other gubbins go with it and that'll be that!!

Another wee update today. Had a voicemail tonight from the garage and they are stripping out the gearbox and clutch etc on Monday to see if they can get to the bottom of the fault. Hopefully get it fixed soon!!!! :-(

Reactions: veeeight and Rob2k68
Wee update to this thread..

Had a call from the dealer and they have escalated the problem to Audi Technical in the hope they can help resolve the problem,

Initially they ruled out clutch slip and have been looking into fueling problems etc but this morning they phoned and said they were out in it more yesterday and the technician came back and said it was clutch slip.. but it's not like normal clutch slip and doesn't do it all the time..

They are calling it intermittent clutch slip but do not know what is causing this?? they are waiting on Audi Technical to advise them on the way to go forward.

Hopefully they will just replace clutch and what other gubbins go with it and that'll be that!!

'what other gubbins go with it' !! lol Easy on the technical jargon there mate, I'm getting lost here!!

Seriously though hope you get this sorted soon.

Isn't gubbins what non technical people call thingymebobs? :blink:
Hope you get it resolved soon Andy....

Yup. Those thingermajiggys make up part of it too..

Cheers mate, i hope its fixed soon too. The big A6 really is rubbish!!!!..haha

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Yup. Those thingermajiggys make up part of it too..

Cheers mate, i hope its fixed soon too. The big A6 really is rubbish!!!!..haha

Yeah they really are s**t aren't they................what were Audi thinking about??!! lol