What will the fuelgate saga do to part ex prices ?

wooder

Reaction score
Has anyone recently changed any of the vehicles affected by the ever growing fuel saga and what impact did it have on your part ex price .
Only asking because im in the process of changing my vehicle and as of today it looks like my 1.4 petrol is now on the black list . Hopefully it won't change much and my new car isn't going to be ready for another 4 months so the dust might of settled a little by then .
I realise there is a diesel thread running but this thread is more about the knock on affect and my question will probably get lost in that thread .

I am unsure what you are meaning:blink:
What "Blacklist" is that then?
You have experienced negative vibes from someone regarding your present car or a future one?

It will be painful. The brand (all of VAG) has been damaged and like in any such situation the market takes advantage. It's how it works and unfortunately we, at the bottom of the food chain, have two options - suck it up, or join the now almost infinite queue and sue VAG. :blink:

Every VAG vehicle currently on the roads is suffering a steeper decline in value since the news broke, than it did, and would have done, beforehand.

"We're all in it together" :yes:

Personally I don't expect much to change a new car still costs the same to build only that they'll be loads of websites and solicitors jumping on the compensation bandwagon in much the same as PPI and personal injury claims.

Personally I think the value of your part ex will still be effected in 4 mths times...........probably gonna need longer than that for things to die down. How much it'll have been effected though is pretty hard to guage.

@wooder,.......... What have you ordered and had you considered cancelling in the short term?

Reactions: perazzi
Sold my Diesel to WBAC around five weeks ago at the height of te press stuff. Didn't lose anything compared to six months earlier.

Funnily as someone looking to buy, I've seen no noticeable price reductions on the used market for VW diesels at any point during the media storm. Prices are pretty steady.

The media FUD campaign seems to contain stats that have been cherry picked to drum up 'business' for the class action solicitors.

I assume same will apply to this 'new' scandal.

Reactions: SRT
.....I've seen no noticeable price reductions on the used market for VW diesels at any point during the media storm. Prices are pretty steady.

Pop along to Trade Centre Wales - £2k off every German Vehicle.
Advert still going - together with the mock German Accent.

Looks like I'll be getting 10+ calls a day on the mobile.

"Hello.... Do you own a VAG car and find yourself in negative equity. Text help to this number for a no win no fee consultation"

I can hear it now.

Reactions: batch, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Just an excuse for a sale which happen all the time. I'm not seeing discounts greater than what were there before. I always buy at a 15% discount minimum when purchasing a new car. And second hand advertised prices are just the start of the haggling process. Again, I'm not seeing this huge reduction of negotiated prices that the fear mongering seems to imply.

Please tell me if I am over-simplifying things, but isn't it a matter of rectifying the software that cheats the testing process? If I am right, your car gets hooked up to a laptop, tap tap tap, job done, car now doesn't give false readings, off you go. So far, there have been assurances that performance won't be affected, so all the hoo-ha about trade-in values seems to be scaremongering. In any case, to be able to sue VAG you have to show that you have suffered a loss, so it looks as though it will be a while before anybody can demonstrate that. Anybody who panics now and trades their VAG vehicle in and takes a hit will have difficulty in claiming that loss from VAG if the solution is as straightforward as I envisage. If, as anticipated, I replace my current Audi with another in a few years' time, the dealer will have difficulty in arguing that my trade-in value is prejudiced by all the dieselgate controversy.

Really, I think anyone trading in now might get some BS thrown at them to lower the PX value. Once the cars had 'it's fix' then things will continue as normal.

This whole fiasco has breed scaremongering etc. etc on a large scale.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
Really, I think anyone trading in now might get some BS thrown at them to lower the PX value. Once the cars had 'it's fix' then things will continue as normal.

Totally agree with you. To some extent it is just a storm in a teacup (albeit a very very expensive one) but there's no denying it has damaged VAG's brand in the short term, and dealers will use this to their advantage, maybe not all of them but definitely some.

It will blow over though, so I guess if your in no particular hurry and want to maximise part-ex best advice would be to wait a while...............

There are only three current possibilities: your vehicle's (sales, trade-in) value will be worth more, taking into account the natural depreciation slide over the next (say) 12 months, on a scale fairly predictable (see Glasses, Black Cat, PCP future predictions, Honest John and the rest of the trade). That would be the depreciation slide that everyone in the trade used before the story broke.

Or, nothing changes.

Or, your car is worth less (on a sales basis) than it was before the news broke.

(Oh, and the manufacturer stands a very real chance of going pop (these are serious figures, don't underestimate them) without an enormous amount of German Govt help, one way or another).

However, Guaranteed Future Values could come to the rescue of quite a lot of peeps...

This has got years to run yet, it has to, VW ain't paying out any money anytime soon. To anyone.

P/X the wife's Golf GT Cab this week. Thats the 1.4 Twin Charger engine. Selling through a dealer I know and trust.
Currently the engine not affected by any scandals and the car is mint.

It was difficult to shift as people who normally trade VWs have got excess stock and are not buying.
But it's also not a good time of year to be flogging a cab.

Reckon we have taken about a 5 - 10% hit due to the lack of willing buyers, ignoring time of year.

It's also likely that very soon other manufacturers get dragged in, now we are talking about CO2 and MPG, which we all know is a pack of lies across the board.

That should be good news for VAG owners like the OP, as it would very quickly level the playing field.

It may actually be what VW is up to with the latest disclosure? Divert attention over to CO2.

I think vag are the sole offenders. Caught with their pants down. Better to get it all out now. People seem in some quarters to hope others are involved to spread the impact but i suspect not (could be wrong. Who knows)

I cant imagine for one minute that vag will go tits up.
Help or not. Bad press, big bills yes but as i've said before. These things will move on eventually.

IMHO your Px price will not be affected unless your dealer is trying to use the ongoing VAG crisis to maximise his earnings

There's no way that VAG are the only manufacturer massaging the figures, they're just the first to get busted.

Reactions: batch, Simon L and Rob2k68
Not sure how much of a fudge factor there is but I can only see any changes in saleability should any vehicle jump up a tax brkt - maybe also once a vehicle is originally certified it can't be changed ?

There's no way that VAG are the only manufacturer massaging the figures, they're just the first to get busted.

I bought a 140bhp diesel Alfa Guilietta based on the claimed mpg - what a joke that was !

Reactions: Simon L
I bought a 140bhp diesel Alfa Guilietta based on the claimed mpg - what a joke that was !

..........bit of a joke you bought an Alfa in the first place Rob.....................!! :blahblah1:

Reactions: Rob2k68
..........bit of a joke you bought an Alfa in the first place Rob.....................!! :blahblah1:

I'll let Clarkson answer that :-

".....I have argued many times that owning an Alfa is a portal through which all petrolheads must pass if they genuinely want to know what it is that differentiates a car from a toaster or a washing machine."

Has anyone recently changed any of the vehicles affected by the ever growing fuel saga and what impact did it have on your part ex price .
Only asking because im in the process of changing my vehicle and as of today it looks like my 1.4 petrol is now on the black list . Hopefully it won't change much and my new car isn't going to be ready for another 4 months so the dust might of settled a little by then .
I realise there is a diesel thread running but this thread is more about the knock on affect and my question will probably get lost in that thread .
Why is your car on a black list and what for, nothing wrong in he slightest with the 1.4 engines at all, don't sell it to anyone giving you that BS...

Reactions: SRT
Have been looking to buy a TDi S-line 8V for a while now. . . . and STILL am.

I wholeheartedly agree with Martinbanshee that it's unlikely VAG are the only manufacturer involved in emissions-rigging. Time will tell on that score.

As for those that choose to jump on the compensation bandwagon . . . you should be ashamed of yourselves. All this BS about buying a car for it's"green" qualities is just that . . BS ! You bought it because it looks good / it meets your driving requirements / it's better than the neighbours'. If you're so skint that you view everything as a money-making opportunity, then your financial skills leave a lot to be desired.

Rant over . . . sorry guys.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Rob2k68
@wooder,.......... What have you ordered and had you considered cancelling in the short term?
To yours and and others dislike - ST3 :busted cop: :whistle2:

My dealer did say at the time of ordering (2+ months ago) that cause they wouldn't give a guaranteed px price I could have my deposit back and walk away . So if they do slash the original px price or use the vw scandal as an excuse I will still have my car so no problem . It's taking 6 months to wait for the st3 so im not going to cancel , I will see what happens nearer to collection .
I just hope it does not change things to much with my new deal and reading your replies helps me keep positive of the outcome .
ps..........maybe I shouldn't of used the word blacklist ,apologies for that .

Reactions: Snibo and Simon L
To yours and and others dislike - ST3 :busted cop: :whistle2:

My dealer did say at the time of ordering (2+ months ago) that cause they wouldn't give a guaranteed px price I could have my deposit back and walk away . So if they do slash the original px price or use the vw scandal as an excuse I will still have my car so no problem . It's taking 6 months to wait for the st3 so im not going to cancel , I will see what happens nearer to collection .
I just hope it does not change things to much with my new deal and reading your replies helps me keep positive of the outcome .
ps..........maybe I shouldn't of used the word blacklist ,apologies for that .

I don't have a problem with the ST3 mate, it'll likely be a blast to drive.............it's just not for me and in my opinion not in the same league as an S3 (and I'm obviously not talking in terms of speed/handling etc!)

Good luck, and I hope all works out for you :)

Thanks .
i agree with you about the not in the same league but the figures work out right and the new face lift interior is much better than previous model .Time will tell .

Newer model has def improved. My mum has the newer Focus.
Different/same league. Depends what you want it for. In some areas the St is in a different(Higher) league to the S3 and in some it isn't.
Most importantly, work out want you want in a car rather than buy a badge. I went badge this time and can't wait to get out.

Reactions: Snibo, wooder and veeeight
After having owned a mk3 focus remapped to almost 200ps, they certainly are a blast to drive and a lot of fun, however irritating rattles, that my a3 hasn't got, and cheap interior plastics reflect the lower prices, plus the value of them pluments once you take them off the forecourt. I will never buy another ford at main dealer prices again, unless they can match internet brokers where st3's can be had for much less than £22k new..

Guess you take your chance. Until this S3 saloon, every car I owned was a ford. Never ever missed a beat. Nothing on warranty, no breakdowns.
The odd rattle but nothing compared to the S3 I have now.

I know the interior looks nicer, but really is that becoming audis only selling point. Exclusivity isn't one nowadays in general. BMW/Mercs/Audis are 2 a penny (I see plenty of S3's in Northamptonshire). Build quality leads are not as big as some like to think. Sure they look nicer but in the long term they suffer like the rest. I know many people with German cars, all have there niggles

All the German Premium manufacturers are knocking out cars as quickly as they can and corners have been cut in various areas relying on badge appeal to sell. The True premium cars in the ranges for me start at £50K plus at least. The rest are just mass produced cars by mass producing manufacturer's

Reactions: Soulboy and Snibo