what should i normally be getting...

mathew lisett

Reaction score
Ok, so before i reveal what im getting for £30 per fuel.

I want to know what the 2.0 tfsi se sline should be getting per £30 fill up (which is only half way marker)

no motorway usage, general weekly use to the shops, country and main roads.

trying to figure out how many miles i should be getting, but want to know from you guys what it should be before i reveal it

I fill up from empty to full so bill tend to be double that, but most the time do a true mpg of around 29mpg. Dash mpg says more like 31,32.

when you say £30, are we talking using £1.03 / ltr supermarket regular or upwards of £1.20 / ltr for Ultimate/ V Power ? -

When if checked mine over a few fills ( brim the tank, drive, record the mileage at next fill to brim ) typically is 28 - 29 mpg. Most of my journeys are local, school run, off to work - urban / town roads, mixed with a couple of reasonable runs when the car gets to stretch its legs a little ;)

99% of the time I'm using 99ron tesco Momentum.

Last edited:
£30 will be about half a tank then? I'd think you'd be lucky to see 200 miles from that. Maybe ablut 150.
I fill be with tesco momentum costs about £65 and with a mix of driving I'm averaging about 400 miles to a tank.

I think it is very difficult to get a really accurate consumption figure for local driving due to the nature of the driving, unless one can replicate the same driving conditons everytime one drove the car the results will differ, also different drivers have differing driving styles etc , which, they may say is normal but may be far from another drivers perception of " normal driving".
there are so many variables involved in local driving, not just driving style but also tyre pressures and even tyre choice/size ,
state of engine tune etc even the time of year, dark winter nights will lower your average mpg compared to summer night conditions due to your driving habbits change as weather conditions change, just so many variables.
I dont really bother with checking local mpg, well any mpg to be honest, the 2.0tfsi is meant to be driven not pootled around in , i drive my car the way i prefer which is reflected in the mpg i get, if i wanted to save money on the petrol i would have bought something else other than the tfsi.
At the end of the day its a personal thing.

rob

when you say £30, are we talking using £1.03 / ltr supermarket regular or upwards of £1.20 / ltr for Ultimate/ V Power ? -

When if checked mine over a few fills ( brim the tank, drive, record the mileage at next fill to brim ) typically is 28 - 29 mpg. Most of my journeys are local, school run, off to work - urban / town roads, mixed with a couple of reasonable runs when the car gets to stretch its legs a little ;)

99% of the time I'm using 99ron tesco Momentum.
to be more clear.

normal unleaded, pump states around 105.9 and paying out £30 to get to the half way mark on the dash.

I dont really bother with checking local mpg, well any mpg to be honest, the 2.0tfsi is meant to be driven not pootled around in ,
rob

oh and im certainly not driving miss daisy.

ok so the reason im asking is that the car is running lean and feels like crap as per my other post on parts. im currently paying out £30 for the half way mark and getting 140 just as the fuel pump icon comes on.

so anybody able to figure what the mpg is for that and what it should be..

on a kinda separate note, you guys speak of using v power etc, when the car has been sorted with new parts such as the pcv and air mass meter. does it make a difference to the performance when going for the more expensive fuel?

I ran mine on normal unleaded for the first few tanks and it felt fine. For past 3 months I've used tesco 99 stuff. It does feel a bit more responsive.
I've done the pcv on mine and done the new diverter valve didn't really noticed much difference with them.
Just put a new fuel pump cam follower in during the week and not sure if it's my imagination or not but it definelty feels a lot more powerful. Just seems to pull a lot harder when it gets to about 3000rpm.

I ran mine on normal unleaded for the first few tanks and it felt fine. For past 3 months I've used tesco 99 stuff. It does feel a bit more responsive.
I've done the pcv on mine and done the new diverter valve didn't really noticed much difference with them.
Just put a new fuel pump cam follower in during the week and not sure if it's my imagination or not but it definelty feels a lot more powerful. Just seems to pull a lot harder when it gets to about 3000rpm.
the pvc is likely an issue so its why its booked in for a diagnostics, but we already know the air mass meter needs replacing due to running lean.

but with it acting lumpy and acting like it doesnt have a steady flow of air, im thinking the pvc does need replacing.

if im told the fuel pump needs replacing, ill wait until july to get it (thats when my current insurance runs out) as they dont cover performance cars or modified, and will be going for a performance fuel pump.

So anwyays, i was simply trying to figure out what mpg i was getting compared to what i should be getting

If you look in the manual the prefered fuel of choice for the tfsi is higher octane 98, 95 is ok, but for optimum performance you need as high as possible.
I have tried many so called performance fuels and to date shell super fandango fuel has been a noticable improvement compared with the rest, you certainly get a better bang for your buck with it.

Last edited:
Based on the figures above, you're seeing in the region of 22.5 mpg.

Of course I'm sure all, or at least most, tfsi owners didn't buy theirs for the benefits of economy, but at the same time I'd imagine you should be seeing more than the above, unless you're able to hoon around alot ;)