S4 - Driveshaft inner bolt size

^adam^

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all.

Anyone know the size of the driveshaft bolt, inner. I'm working on changing the inner CV boot and that's what's got me. I've got a horrible feeling I've slightly rounded one of the bolts using a TX bit, but that's not it.

There's a cover on top of the driveshaft which I've tried to remove to give greater access. Two are accessible but I didn't notice until removing them that there's one final centre bolt that's completely inaccessible.

Thanks in advance.

It's not Torx bolts, it's splined bolts. To access properly, jack up the car, put it on an axle stand, and remove lower engine tray. Use a 1/2 ratchet and short extension bar. Draper make good kits with interchangeable splined bits. Rotate the wheel to get access to the final bolt. The opposite wheel needs to be on the ground and put the car in gear to stop the wheel rotating while trying to undo it. The cover above the driveshaft on the transmission is the heat-shield. It can be removed too.

Before attempting this, undo the drive-shaft hub retaining bolt. You'll need an extension bar to shift it. You'll also need a new bolt when refitting.

Guide here for a B7, but B6 exactly the same. Should be possible to remove driveshaft without having to remove pinch bolt and upper control arms. Jack up both sides of the car and rotate steering. That should give you clearance to drop driveshaft out.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/351334-A4-B7-Inner-CV-Boot-Replacement

Great knowledge, thanks for the link also.

I'm as far as removing the 10mm triple square bolts. Definitely trying to complete without removing the pinch bolt.

Not sure it's possible to remove the heat shield, two bolts are easy access but the other is pretty much impossible, I can't see how to get an extension onto the nut.

But I'll have another look Thursday evening.

Thanks again.

Got the 6 bolts out on the drivers side, even the one I slightly damaged. Have to say it would have been pretty darn hard if I didn't pick up this kit from machine mart yesterday! https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/...a-long-spline-bit-socke?da=1&TC=SLI-040212083

The extra long bits make life much easier.

Problem is now I can't seem to get the driveshaft out without un-hooking the top or bottom arms. All the videos I've seen about moving the steering wheel to one side don't give enough space, but also none of them are for an S4 also.

I'd rather not have to mess around with the top arms if anyone has any tips?

Yes, the top bolts on the heat shield are a tight squeeze. I can't remember how I did them, but it probably was with an oversized bit.

Regards getting the driveshaft out. If you don't want to contemplate shifting the pinch bolt (good opportunity to grease it after removal) then try removing the tie-rod end. You should be able to drop the inner drive-shaft with the bolts out. If the engine tray is still on, then remove it as you need the drop clearance.

It just seems either the upper or lower suspension will be to be removed to give enough clearance, yet to decide which would be easier.

I think I'll go for the upper. Wish me luck!

Started working on the upper suspension, eventually managed to get the pinch bolt out after a couple of hours, not without damaging it though, so need a replacement. Started on trying to release the top arms and gave up, no movement at all. Went back to trying to maneuver the driveshaft out and managed to get it out without releasing the suspension. Wish I didn't bother releasing the pinch now.

Driveshaft out and removed the old boot. Cleaned up and new one ready. Can't find my circlip pliers so will have to get another set tomorrow before continuing.