What colour grill?

Locotoolman

Reaction score
I'm thinking of vinyl wrapping my grill. Was wondering whether to do gloss black, matt black or carbon fiber and does anyone have any pics help me decide

I went with satin black. I originally wrapped it in carbon fibre vinyl but didn't like it. I also did the bottom grill surround. More work but definitely worth it. Freshens the front nicely. No pics sorry

Leave as Audi intended, that's partly what makes it an S3.

I'm all for originality but I keep seeing pics of black audis with black grills and thinking they look good. I could paint it easily but at least if I wrap it I can rip it off if I get fed up with it, plus it's less likely to chip.

yeah go black - makes the rings the feature of the front

I used a spray called frost liquid wrap. Similar to plasti dip only £5 cheaper and better :)
12194790 10156123098950212 8336600313107870431 o2

Reactions: Nilz and Locotoolman
I also have 4 cans of gunmetal grey to try on the alloys if my car ever lasts longer than a week without needing to go back to the garage!

Reactions: A3-Lee
Black surround works imo...

IMG_7520.jpg

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Tj 0785, Locotoolman, Nilz and 1 other person
Black surround and silver rings, I have done that on mine too...

I did have gunmetal a couple of years ago to match the wheels, but have now gone back to satin black.

Here is mine from Norway :s3addict: I have black plastidip all around.

c74c6d047a5e8776014ca61853d1bca3.jpg

6efc77494b25618c6798deb51abf60d0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: samurai and Locotoolman
Light car black surround silver rings. Dark car both black. All cars looking good people

Never thought of doing it before but after looking at these cars, i'm tempted to do the outside chrome and leave the rings standard. Is it just a case of masking it up and point and squirt, or is there some skill required like spray painting.

Never thought of doing it before but after looking at these cars, i'm tempted to do the outside chrome and leave the rings standard. Is it just a case of masking it up and point and squirt, or is there some skill required like spray painting.

Take the grill off the car mate, and the chrome surround and rings both unclip from the grill. Lightly sand the chrome surface to rough it up, it will still look chrome after this stage, then spray a few coats of plastic primer on, leaving 10 minutes between each coat, and follow up with Satin black spray. Alternatively, you can use black vinyl wrap, then it will be reversible if you don't like it.

Reactions: moisty
Like jojo said use vinyl if you can, that way you can take it off if you want, plus it's less likely to chip off.

Reactions: moisty
The chrome surround unclips, just use something to lever it off carefully. Then some sort of vinyl spray. I used frost liquid wrap and prefer it to plast dip

Take the grill off the car mate, and the chrome surround and rings both unclip from the grill. Lightly sand the chrome surface to rough it up, it will still look chrome after this stage, then spray a few coats of plastic primer on, leaving 10 minutes between each coat, and follow up with Satin black spray. Alternatively, you can use black vinyl wrap, then it will be reversible if you don't like it.

Is the grill easy to unclip? Thought I had read it was a bumper off job?
I would like to sray all the plastic satin blk

I checked photos of replacement parts online to figure out where all the clips were. Still managed to damage em a little bit. Cleaned them really well, no sanding, then plasti-dip so it can be removed/changed if I want.

Dipped mine in Anthracite, not quite black and still a bit of metallic shine.
GrillMirrorsSml
FrontBadgeAnthraciteSml

Last edited: