Brake switch on DSG TDi - Where is it?

AudiA3JJ

Reaction score
Does anyone know the location of the brake switch on an DSG TDi. I can't see anything on the pedal !?

I'm trying to solve a judder issue I've had with my car since buying it.. going from neutral to first . Various threads I've read suggest to replace the gearbox mount (dogbone bush) and brake switch. So I need to know the brake switch that tells the gearbox when its on/off.

Any help appreciated!

I checked with Audi today, defo only one on mine mounted to master cylinder..must be that one! £23 to replace from stealers.. Not too bad!

What kind of judder issue did you have? I had a brake light switch replaced by my mechanic recently, but months ago he told me it was mounted behind the pedal somewhere. After replacing I don't have the error message anymore, but when I move off, there is a vibration/judder when I release the brake pedal (to make the car crawl) and this judder only disappears when I actually start pressing the accelerator. I have a BKD with DSG.

UPDATE: It's probably also mentioning that I had my brake fluid changed too at the same time, so I reckon this had something to do with it.

Mine crawls fine after releasing the brake, its when I apply slight throttle. I've decided to replace all the engine mounts too as it got pulled on MOT yesterday for excessive movement. I also get a surge in reverse, its either on or off and apparently a faulty brake switch can cause this too! What's yours like in reverse?

Mine crawls fine after releasing the brake, its when I apply slight throttle. I've decided to replace all the engine mounts too as it got pulled on MOT yesterday for excessive movement. I also get a surge in reverse, its either on or off and apparently a faulty brake switch can cause this too! What's yours like in reverse?

I get a surge in reverse now and then too. So I would select reverse, the car wont actually move and when I apply a bit of throttle it does surge back a bit. But I've only noticed this occasionally. I'm sure like me, you will know the best way to make the car move without it surging.

I have another problem underneath the car where something suspension related is loose. So when I reverse back with some gusto, there is a big knock noise that comes from underneath. Recently one of my subframe bolts had broken off and after replacing that, the car drove straight. But something else is amiss causing this big knock (you can feel it through the floor; i have had wishbone bushes replaced recently, so these may need to be looked at). I may ask my mechanic to have a look at my engine mounts too, as i know they are known to loosen/break on these heavy diesel engines! I just think Audi's are really fat in general.

Yeah I've had to get used to it now, although I did nearly run someone over with it once! defo look at engine mounts, i'm changing mine after it was picked up on the MOT

Posted 13 hours ago ·

Hi, wonder if anybody could help.

Have an 2004 audi a3 2.0 tdi tiptronic.

Have some problems.. on start up it needs cranking over a bit, (could deal with this) however when driving it the other day left the house fine pulled over at the shop went in come out started car up put in drive and went to pull off and no revs or acceleration.. Turned the car off and on again still nothing... Then off we go (about a minute) get going along again stop at the roundabout same thing again.. However when this happens I lose all revs it drops to about 800rpm. When it eventually goes back to 1000rpm it seems to go OK. Seem to have like an engine cough occasionally Aswell. Have plugged in vcds and nothing obvious comes up... Any ideas before I start throwing money into it.??? Tia