Audi S3 / TT 6 speed box strength?

franko180

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've got a 1.8T BAM / S3 8L 6 speed gear box in my daily, only lightly tuned and all is well. I was wondering what are the known or tested limits for power / torque on the 6 speed gear box?

the gearbox wont have any issues with the standard turbo. Even a few people on here are running big turbos (500hp+) on the standard box without any problems

Ok mate, that's what I was curious about, if getting into the 400's with that gearbox, if they can take it or not.

I have seen a few people have issues with the selector fork and the pedal itself, but they have happened at standard power levels. I'm not aware of anyone on here having serious mechanical failure with less than 400hp. I know Andrew @ ALD is building his gearbox, but he is hoping to get 600bhp. Another member on here is running 600bhp with a standard box. I'm hoping for 400 wheel hp and I haven't touched my gearbox.

I know the CV joints on the 5 speed are a point of weakness (not going to be an issue for yourself).

Just make sure you build the engine right if you're chasing 400bhp

There is a thread in the FAQs covering 02M gearbox mods for 'durability'... worth a read...

Asking 'if they can take it' is a little subjective tbh... they are rated according to VAGs blurb to 350nm torque (approx 260ftlbs) but this can be exceeded with most remaps on a K04 so you can read into that what you will

There are plenty of people running high power/torque through a std gearbox but as is the case with anything when turned up to 11 wear will be accelerated and subject to use... if you launch everywhere and drive like a hooligan then stuff will break... if you are more mechanically sympathetic then it won't break... so quickly...

Two main issues on std boxes are diff bearings going noisy and selector fork breakage... if you want to make the 02M as bullet proof as is currently possible then read the thread linked in the FAQs

<tuffty/>

I have seen a few people have issues with the selector fork and the pedal itself, but they have happened at standard power levels. I'm not aware of anyone on here having serious mechanical failure with less than 400hp. I know Andrew @ ALD is building his gearbox, but he is hoping to get 600bhp. Another member on here is running 600bhp with a standard box. I'm hoping for 400 wheel hp and I haven't touched my gearbox.

I know the CV joints on the 5 speed are a point of weakness (not going to be an issue for yourself).

Just make sure you build the engine right if you're chasing 400bhp

I had the selector fork issue on my old AUQ golf with 02M, the rivet sheared off so I think I lost 1st and 2nd. The car was only just over 3 years old, maybe on 80k miles, can't remember now.

There is a thread in the FAQs covering 02M gearbox mods for 'durability'... worth a read...

Asking 'if they can take it' is a little subjective tbh... they are rated according to VAGs blurb to 350nm torque (approx 260ftlbs) but this can be exceeded with most remaps on a K04 so you can read into that what you will

There are plenty of people running high power/torque through a std gearbox but as is the case with anything when turned up to 11 wear will be accelerated and subject to use... if you launch everywhere and drive like a hooligan then stuff will break... if you are more mechanically sympathetic then it won't break... so quickly...

Two main issues on std boxes are diff bearings going noisy and selector fork breakage... if you want to make the 02M as bullet proof as is currently possible then read the thread linked in the FAQs

<tuffty/>

This car won't be doing high power "clutch up" launches :), but of course plenty of mid range torque will be put through it, so I expect thats where it will get stressed. Thanks for the answer, I'll take a look at the FAQs.

For what its worth my box is having to put up with 564hp/407ftlbs but I don't launch or 'bang' through the box... rolling starts generally and progressively mapped...

My box has 130k on it currently but the diff bearings are getting noisy... the box I am rebuilding will have some of the mods listed in that thread I mentioned but only really because it will be apart so I may as well strengthen the weak points while in there...

As with all things on these cars... they are old, many have 100k plus on them so wear and tear is inevitable..

<tuffty/>

Hmm I have a noise when decelerating / engine breaking but it goes when I press in the clutch, it sounds like I am driving over rumble strips. I think a cv joint is on its way out as a get a clicking when turning slowly and assumed it might be that. I think the quieter tyres have highlighted the noise.
Check cv joint movement today, and they don't move up and down just in and out.