HHA and brake lights

scotty76

Reaction score
Just a quick observation really. My car has HHA (hill hold assist) and I use it all the time in traffic (rarely on hills) :) . I'd seen posts about people commenting they didn't like it as it left the brake lights on, shining at the driver behind. Now it's proper dark out I've noted that (at least in my 2014 car) that's not the case. I can see when I brake to a stop the lights shining on the face of the driver behind. However once HHA engages and I take my foot off the pedal the lights go out. So this would seem to be contrary to what I had read.

I'll try and confirm if I can get the wife to help but I suspect she'll think I've gone nuts again and ignore me. :D

Reactions: Keef
@scotty76 - I had HHA on my 2009 B8 A4 (as well as my current S4)
Must admit I didn't notice the brake lights illuminating when HHA engaged on my B8 either
Haven't checked my S4 yet tho'

Reactions: scotty76
Thanks @Bristle Hound . I'd just noticed a few posts where people seemed to suggest they were dazzling the driver behind but that doesn't seem to be the case so was trying to set the record straight.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Just a quick observation really. My car has HHA (hill hold assist) and I use it all the time in traffic (rarely on hills) :)

HHA is called "Anfahrassistent" in the German brochures. It's possibly a more accurate description of what the boffins intended. Literally translated: Start Assistant.

Have mine set to come on by default and therefore use it all the time, hills included. Well worth the option price.

And to confirm: brake lights on mine definitely turn off when I've taken my foot off the stop pedal.

I retrofitted it to mine as I didn't like applying the handbrake at every set of lights - annoying. My brake lights don't stay on either. For such a cheap option I can't believe it's not a. standard or b. on everyone's option list.

I retrofitted it to mine as I didn't like applying the handbrake at every set of lights - annoying. My brake lights don't stay on either. For such a cheap option I can't believe it's not a. standard or b. on everyone's option list.
It was £65 when I specced it on my car so was not worth worrying about.

Reactions: benjie
Same here, £65, no brainer. Haven't noticed whether the lights are on or not. No doubt I'll be looking for it next drive. :)