Fast and slow

froggy

Reaction score
Hi all,got a s3 and sometimes get in it and think"god,this thing shifts!" other times,same fuel,same outside temps,go out for a drive and think,"god,this thing is slow!" no rhyme or reason I know,anyone else experienced the same?

Reactions: Steve 2015 s3
I have absolutely no idea how anyone can think the S3 is slow, unless they come from a lamborghini!!!

Actually I got out of a Lambo , and happy to be in the S3.
Lambo felt heavy , handling skittish , brakes had no feel.
The only thing so far is the stronic seems a bit slow to respond , though paddles sort that out. Can see why people prefer the manual. For me though will stay with stronic for everyday use , and paddles for fun...
The best performance car I have driven is the F type Jag....

Reactions: Rob2k68
Don't have a S3 but have S-Tronic and it's the fastest shifting auto I've driven. Had BM, LR, VX, VW (DSG) and Merc and the S-tronic is by far the fastest and smoothest changing auto within the mainstream market.

Reactions: Simon L and Sandra
Suppose , the only auto i have had in the past was a discovery , so have nothing to compare against. Maybe i also need to develop my throttle control....

However, from reading through the threads on here, quite a few S3 owners complain of a bit of lag As if the box takes a second to respond then the power comes in. I've only experienced it once in my diesel, just a split second delay then in it comes as I've gone to pull away from a rolling approach to a junction. But changing gears it's been flawless.

It's like time.......some days quick, some days slow.

Know what you mean though quite often gently accelerate away thinking I must be doing 60 tops and then the speed limit warning, set at 90, screeches at me

I think that is right. My missus complained the S3 was slow pulling away compared to our previous A3 170 tdi !!!
I find I press the pedal a little more and then it accelerates too much. I notice it tends to hold into the high gears too long when slowing down ( guess for fuel economy). Though as running in have not yet tried sport mode.
Using paddles no such problems, in fact enjoy the engine braking and keeping the engine buzzing around twisty bits.

Been in a few traffic jams and really liked the auto then . Also loving the ACC.

Perception if you are driving can be odd. Try being a passenger in it.......seems much quicker.

Reactions: Simon L
Perception if you are driving can be odd. Try being a passenger in it.......seems much quicker.

Tell me about it.............I absolutely hate being a passenger in a performance car ......scares the bejeezers out of me!! :blink:

If you think the throttle response is slow for the stronic, have you thought of something like a pedal box from DTUK?

I have only had mine 10 days and only have 500 miles notched up. I have noticed, that I can't seem to gauge some speeds yet... ie in a 30 mph zone I seem to think I am going too fast when actually doing only 25 to 30, then in a 60 zone I seem to easily go over without really noticing...
I do use the cruise but at the moment what I have noticed it seems to fluctuate between +/- 3 mph