central locking issues

jbh

TDi lover
Reaction score
Website
www.retrobmw.co.uk
so the Audi has been sitting for a few weeks ( or months ) not being used or even started for that matter.
the battery had went flat and to be honest I thought the battery was knackered.
I got a battery that's known good and stuck it on the car and I noticed when I pressed the unlock button only the drivers door and fuel cap was opening. pressing it twice makes no difference..
if Ive got all 4 doors unlocked and press the lock button its only the drivers door and fuel cap will lock also.
If I use the key in the passengers door ( drivers lock barrel isint connected ) it will unlock the front doors and fuel cap.

so jump forward 5 days of the car sitting idle again.... the car required a jump start today and now the button on the keys does nothing.. ( tried the spare key also ) but again use the key in the passengers door and both front doors will unlock and the fuel cap...

could this be the pump at fault?

probably. The later pumps have two circuits, one for the drivers door and fuel cap and one for everything else.

If there was a leak or broken pipe etc in the "everything else" circuit, then what you describe would happen.

Often, when theres a leak, the vaccum pump has to work overtime and breaks.

First thing to do i guess, is see if your pump is the later type with two outlets.

First thing to do i guess, is see if your pump is the later type with two outlets.
it is the later type with 2 outlets. I did take the pipes off it and I tried putting vacuum and pressure through the pipes. one seems as if its chocked as it wouldn't do anything if that makes sense. where as the other one locked and unlocked the drivers door.

Did the connections at the pump seem dry?any problems I've had with the central locking pump have been down to damp conections in the past, before I realised the rear lamp seal was damaged.

Did the connections at the pump seem dry?any problems I've had with the central locking pump have been down to damp conections in the past, before I realised the rear lamp seal was damaged.

it all felt dry when I was in there last week. we have had a lot of rain since then so will double check it tomorrow.

Im sure I have a twin outlet pump spare but I don't think it has the remote function. I might fit this and see f it opens the full car.

so further update...
the remote side is now working again.. could have been with me boosting the car to start it yesterday..
so drivers door and fuel cap unlocks and locks and I can hear the pump.
if I hold the 2nd pipe over the outlet for the drivers door and fuel cap then press the unlock/ lock button the rest of the car will unlock/ lock so it is a pump issue..
if I hold my finger over the outlet on the pump that works the rest of the car and press the unlock/lock button I don't feel nothing.
so it does look like that side of the pump isint working.. so with in mind that its still pumping on demand just not on that outlet. and its not running longer like it does if I disconnect the drivers door fuel cap pipe. Im thinking...

A. a blockage within the outlet somewhere?
B a seal has gone but surely this would make the pump run longer?

what's youre thoughts?

on the plus side she started first turn today.. think the wee blast up the road it got yesterday helped

theres one vacuum motor, then a wee solenoid valve thing that shuts off the small port in certain situations. For instance you can program it to only unlock the drivers door on the first press of the key, then unlock both doors if you press again. So in that situation it shuts off the second port and runs the pump to open only the drivers door.

I suspect that either the solenoid valve is broken, or the circuitry that controls it is broken.

You could lash up a T piece to connect both lines to the big port and blank off the little one incase the solenoid repairs itself in future.

theres one vacuum motor, then a wee solenoid valve thing that shuts off the small port in certain situations. For instance you can program it to only unlock the drivers door on the first press of the key, then unlock both doors if you press again. So in that situation it shuts off the second port and runs the pump to open only the drivers door.

I suspect that either the solenoid valve is broken, or the circuitry that controls it is broken.

You could lash up a T piece to connect both lines to the big port and blank off the little one incase the solenoid repairs itself in future.
what size T piece would you recommend ?

no idea, never looked all that closely at the pipe sizes. Measure up what you have i guess.
I managed to find a old windscreen washer set up out of a citroen saxo the tube and T piece fit perfectly. Thank you for your help