Squeaking / creaking rear passenger door

Sparks#72

Reaction score
Hi Guys…I’ve being using this forum for a few months now to find tweaks & mods for my Audi A3 with great success, but I’ve not really had cause to actually post on here before.

The knowledge base on here is fantastic, so I’m hoping someone can help my find the problem or a cure for my squeaking / creaking rear passenger door on my A3 sport back BE (61 plate – 2012MY), which is really beginning to grate on me.

As far as I can tell the noise is emanating from the passenger side rear door area and is normally associated with general driving on the road, by that I mean it can happen on Motorways / A roads etc., although I can’t hear it all of the time.

I did find that the rear passenger side coil spring had broken and had hoped that after it had been replaced the noise would have gone, but unfortunately not.

I have read posts on other forums, which suggest to try oiling or greasing the door hinges / catches or even to try fitting tubing around the door seals in order to ‘pack’ them out....I guess?

However, my hinges & catches seem to be well greased up, so I don’t think that is an option, but I haven’t tried the tubing idea yet…. Is it worth a shot??

If anyone can suggest some possible solutions that would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

Just an idea, are you sure it's the door and not the rear seat catch?
Usually the rear door if noisy is cured by applying some Vaseline to the catch.
The tube in the rubber idea was mainly for 3 door cars but can affect 5 door. Although this can usually be helped by putting lube on the seal.
It maybe worth folding the seat forward on that side to see if it makes a difference. If so then Vaseline the seat catch.

Thank you for the response Marshy, I'll give that a try tomorrow!

Cheers

Just a quick update.

I think I've now found the location of the squeaking / creaking and it appears to be related to the rear passenger window. If I drop it a fraction the noise seems to stop, closing it fully and the noise returns....so progress of sorts. (Either that or the wind noise drowns it out).

Can anyone suggest some possible fixes for this or am I into the realms of replacing the window seals?

As always any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thank you

If it does quieten with the window down then that outs you back to the top door seal.
When the windows dropped it'll release some tension from the top of the door.
Either try some tube in the top door seal or apply some lube on the top seal to see if it alters.

Nice one....Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, I'm going to give that a try.

Cheers