S3 2010 s tronic reverse problem..

Abz17

Reaction score
Hi I'm hoping somebody can shed some knowledge on this problem with my reverse that I experienced today.

So I'm parking up as normal put in reverse and it just revved. Put in D or P fine, put back in reverse nothing. No dash lights or warnings or faults came up. So I switched the car off and tried again it worked fine. This has totally got me worried thinking my gearbox is packed up its only done 42k and its had a dsg oil and filter change already. I bought the car just over a month ago and been driving fine going in to gears smooth and quick changes even in manual. Recently when cold I have noticed a few times putting in reverse there's a delay to use the gear but a few searches on net and a garage visit said that's normal in the DSG. And rarely when warm can do the same thing. I'm hoping somebody can help me in this or recommend what to do as this is the last worry I wanted.
I'm new to this forum and to Audi's in particular this car as its my first sort of expensive sporty car always had the 3-4K used cars before so knowledge is weak on this car/Audi.

Thanks

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry. It's really hard to describe in words but I know exactly what you mean because mines done it before, a couple of times.

It's almost like you're too quick for it and the box hasn't engaged reverse before you hit the throttle so it just stays in neutral and revs the engine.

It does feel disconcerting as I felt like that the first time I experienced it.

Now, when going from D to R I make sure the car is at a total stop and then reverse and its never happened again.

Reactions: JDP
+ 1
Its something most would or will experience at some point - play on. :rockwoot:

Reactions: Hookmonster and Sayam
Not too sure about the revving in reverse but perhaps a glitch in the system which resolved itself by turning the car off.

DSG is a complex beast so the occasional glitch could be expected.

As above post, try not to worry and have a little patience

Not too sure about the revving in reverse but perhaps a glitch in the system which resolved itself by turning the car off.

DSG is a complex beast so the occasional glitch could be expected.

As above post, try not to worry and have a little patience

There is no glitch, it's just the user (at least when I experienced it) expecting it to engage R quicker than it can or did in that instance. Rather than putting power through a cog thats only half-engaged it just sticks with neutral :)

Hmm. See what you guys are saying. So what about when putting it into R generally does it take a while to engage that gear? I've read that mechatronics can fail on these and be costly is that sometime I need to change down the line or just down to when the gearbox gives up?

What year is your car? The mechatronics problems only apply to the earlier cars. More likely to fail are synchros as they are known to be weak...which will result in lumpy changes.

Honestly these gearboxes are not as delicate as they're made out to be, just drive it and keep up with oil and filter changes every 40,000.

Incidentally did you reset the adaptions on the gearbox after doing the oil change?

I have just bought a 2010 DSG car as well and with only 38k. miles. Had a couple of disconcerting moments trying to engage reverse as well, it was when I was in a bit of a rush trying to turn around in a road or reverse round a corner. Seems the DSG box does not like be rushed when switching between D, N and R, especially if you have the revs above idle. In all other respects the DSG changes smoothly up and down when driving normally., it's great.

Reactions: Sayam
What year is your car? The mechatronics problems only apply to the earlier cars. More likely to fail are synchros as they are known to be weak...which will result in lumpy changes.

Honestly these gearboxes are not as delicate as they're made out to be, just drive it and keep up with oil and filter changes every 40,000.

Incidentally did you reset the adaptions on the gearbox after doing the oil change?

Ah. It's a 2010 Sportback. In terms of resetting adaptions I'm not sure that was done unless the local garage did it. I just had the oil and filter changed on the box. Is that something that has to be done as well or.??

I have just bought a 2010 DSG car as well and with only 38k. miles. Had a couple of disconcerting moments trying to engage reverse as well, it was when I was in a bit of a rush trying to turn around in a road or reverse round a corner. Seems the DSG box does not like be rushed when switching between D, N and R, especially if you have the revs above idle. In all other respects the DSG changes smoothly up and down when driving normally., it's great.

Exactly that!!

I must admit I miss the manual when it comes to reverse to forward and vise versa, It does feel slower on a dsg, I dont miss that big crunch you get every now and then on a manual when selecting reverse and a notchy first gear selection on occasion, was always a very pleasurable experience when on the move in reverse and selecting first to catch the bite and pull away nice and smoothly with little to no braking, like all have said wait till you stop until you select gear and all is well, a dsg does have its moments and quirks but you get accustomed to them, its a great box and the only problems you may get are with the mechatronics unit that controls all the valves that select all the gears before and after you have changed gear, they get sticky from bad maintenance, hence the frequent oil and filter changes.

My sis has an Ibiza 1.6tdi I think it's 105bhp or something it's a real pocket rocket if I ever want to fool around in a manual car lol

My sis has an Ibiza 1.6tdi I think it's 105bhp or something it's a real pocket rocket if I ever want to fool around in a manual car lol

Should try the 2.0tdi version they once did - they fly.

Should try the 2.0tdi version they once did - they fly.

I'll have to check it out. To be honest I regularly flirt with the idea of buying a Fabia VRS and tuning it stupidly lol...but then I think I'm best off to wait and get a S3 :)

I'll have to check it out. To be honest I regularly flirt with the idea of buying a Fabia VRS and tuning it stupidly lol...but then I think I'm best off to wait and get a S3 :)
You'll be forever cleaning the soot off the back of it - go S3 or Ed30 or Cupra.

You'll be forever cleaning the soot off the back of it - go S3 or Ed30 or Cupra.

Deffo S3...good friend of mine had ED30 remapped but it's just too much power to stick via the front wheels even with good suspension, and the brakes are no longer big enough on a remap.

What you got after the S3?

Deffo S3...good friend of mine had ED30 remapped but it's just too much power to stick via the front wheels even with good suspension, and the brakes are no longer big enough on a remap.

What you got after the S3?

I liked the S3 when the Haldex had stopped working. It was fun!

I just run about it company cars now - currently in a 184bhp Leon FR

It's just done it again twice in the last week. Normal parking or reversing out the driveway and when in R nothing at all :/ it's beginning to wind me up. Had to either switch off or drive forward a bit and try again. Well embarrassing. Not sure what to do now!

Probably the car off road for a bit, as you will need to remove the unit and send it off to get sorted and then refit, will involve another gearbox oil change I`m afraid.

It's just done it again twice in the last week. Normal parking or reversing out the driveway and when in R nothing at all :/ it's beginning to wind me up. Had to either switch off or drive forward a bit and try again. Well embarrassing. Not sure what to do now!

Were you completely stopped when this happened?

No, where can I get that done and how much does that cost?

Anyone with VCDS can do this for you. If you're in West Yorkshire I'll do it.

Also have the gearbox oil and filter change done if its due or nearly due...

You can do a VCDS reset or you can reset the learning aspect of the gearbox by switching on the the car without starting, press the gas pedal for 10 seconds then release, you then switch off then start the car, you get a few clunks from the gearbox resetting itself.
Note; if you do a VCDS reset then a throttle body reset is a good idea at the same time.
Also I wonder if there is a sender switch that is a bit sticky in the gear stick selection?

Reactions: Sayam
Anyone with VCDS can do this for you. If you're in West Yorkshire I'll do it.

Also have the gearbox oil and filter change done if its due or nearly due...

Ah I'm in East London pal but thanks.
Unless there's someone down here who could also help?

You can do a VCDS reset or you can reset the learning aspect of the gearbox by switching on the the car without starting, press the gas pedal for 10 seconds then release, you then switch off then start the car, you get a few clunks from the gearbox resetting itself.
Note; if you do a VCDS reset then a throttle body reset is a good idea at the same time.
Also I wonder if there is a sender switch that is a bit sticky in the gear stick selection?

I will deffo try that. It done it again this morning parking up at work P started flashing Hoping a reset will solve this because all of a sudden it's started doing this since I've bought the car early November.

Where abouts? Can you message me contact details of possible? Thanks

I've done the reset as in just the reset and I've done the reset followed by the prescribed test drive procedure in the ross-tech wiki.

I cannot stress how much of a difference following the defined test drive makes, its almost like the reset alone isn't worth the grief!

Ok so today I had the car scanned and to my luck nothing came up. The person also drove it and witnessed the problem in reverse taking long to engage and a clunking noise of it trying to go into the gear and the same back into D. Bizarre to say the least. Apparently it's got to be opened up and had a look at as it may well be an internal fault. Gutted as it's a different car now to when I first purchased it with this headache of D/R gears. Not the person to have thousands of pounds either to repair it ad just saved up for this. I was given a premier warranty for 6months with a company called auto guard however I don't see them being of much help with this considering the bill it could amount to!!

As you now say you have a warranty, why not call them? Especially as the reversing problem has got worse.

Ok so today I had the car scanned and to my luck nothing came up. The person also drove it and witnessed the problem in reverse taking long to engage and a clunking noise of it trying to go into the gear and the same back into D. Bizarre to say the least. Apparently it's got to be opened up and had a look at as it may well be an internal fault. Gutted as it's a different car now to when I first purchased it with this headache of D/R gears. Not the person to have thousands of pounds either to repair it ad just saved up for this. I was given a premier warranty for 6months with a company called auto guard however I don't see them being of much help with this considering the bill it could amount to!!

Try the warranty.

Did you do the reset and test drive?

New mechatronics unit supplied and fitted by audi if your box was serviced by audi at the 40k service interval, if the warranty wont honour that then give them an alternative of a mechatronics refurb which should be around the 1k mark given mechanics labour and sent back with new oil and filter.
Try the audi route first which will be around the 3k mark, 1k will sound the better proposition if they dont budge and the mechatronics will be better than new apparently with lifetime warranty.

New mechatronics unit supplied and fitted by audi if your box was serviced by audi at the 40k service interval, if the warranty wont honour that then give them an alternative of a mechatronics refurb which should be around the 1k mark given mechanics labour and sent back with new oil and filter.
Try the audi route first which will be around the 3k mark, 1k will sound the better proposition if they dont budge and the mechatronics will be better than new apparently with lifetime warranty.

Hmm. Box was serviced by a local garage upon purchase of the car. Do you know what place does the refurb for 1k including fitting? And lifetime warranty is that supplied by the refurb garage? Thanks

Try the warranty.

Did you do the reset and test drive?

I've got someone coming today with the vcds for the reset but he claims it won't do anything after telling him my symptoms and it can make it worse apparently..