Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro 8P 2006 Mini Build Thread

ABS2788

Reaction score
Well thought I would share some updates from my recently purchased A3 quattro S line. Picked it up about 2 weeks ago for under £3k.

If your expecting major modification then you might as well click back from some of the build threads I have seen here which are amazing and obviously they have a bigger wallet then me but I've still got to remember this is the family car as well.

Firstly I still need to take some pictures of the car in day light but every time I finish work it's dark :(

Right: So the first thing i had a problem with is the rear wiper motor going off randomly and the rear washers not working. This progressively got worse to the point the car alarm going off at random times throughout the night and day.

I read about removing the boot panel can be tricky but this was the easy part compared to actually removing the wiper arm itself which was seized on tight, i had been going wd-40 mad and after about 30 mins of trying, i decided to go to halfords and buy a ball joint removal tool. Took only 30 seconds from this point so would highly recommend.

Below another pic of the car covered up against the garage as it was raining

Right so you can see below the damage caused to the wiper motor and the micro switch which was all very wet.

So i installed the new motor, sealed up with some silicone sealant and sprayed some wd-40 electrical contact spray and jobs a good one, no issues so far. I thought it would be a good time to replace the old wiper arm with the new flat blade type as well (sorry but clearer picture to come)

Okay, so now would be a good time to upgrade the tail lights right? Correct, so after purchasing a set from a damaged S3 and buying the Kufatec cables online which only issue was the 12v wiring to go to the licence plate was too short so had to buy some wiring from maplin and got it coded

The next steps are to work on the engine. I noticed when i test drove the car that this was not running on 200 horses as standard and clearly felt like a FSI as appose to TFSI. I presumed it would be the diverter valve and i was right so upgraded to the revision D which i know there is always mixed reviews on this but never had any issues with it

I then replaced the hpfp with a recently purchased new one i had from my old seat leon and swapped it over along with the cam follower and an rs4 fuel regulator valve

I felt that an oil catch can was in order as well as there was a discount with Forge when it was the black friday sales

Time for an induction kit as well

I had a miltek downpipe and centre piece from the old car so this was a straight bolt on and a new miltek back box. Transforms the car totally sound wise and turbo spools hell of a lot better feeling less restricted. This is the non resonated and theres still hardly any drowning noise etc (until you put your foot down obv)

Reactions: Jake 61, Mujnu and mister.c.
There was a couple maintenance issues i needed to address to for my peace of mind. One was the oil pick up pipe i replaced as i know they are common to get blocked and with 130K on the clock, didn't want to take any chances. I also had the thermostat replaced as i noticed the car never got to 90 degrees temp and fan kicking in early almost seconds with the car turning on etc so this cured it.

NOW the fun but nervous part - i've had 2 other cars before both tfsi engines and always had issues with either boost pressure too low or fuel pressure too low etc and endless changing parts etc so i was nervous how the dyno runs would perform.

The standard run was carried out and produced the following

Now this was slightly disappointing which i thought standard with the basic mods would at least product more than this but realised that the car had been programmed before so wondered if there was some old map on it or not put back to a standard map etc

Okay so after some tweaking of the maps and a dyno run, we got to 254bhp with 355nm torque with no fault codes so i was happy with this, maybe thought a little more horses but this may improve with a new set of better spark plugs and v power fuel to help a little as well (ran out at local shell just before dyno)

The next upgrade is to change the brakes and pads as they are nearly worn so ordered some M Tec discs drilled and grooved and ebc yellow stuff pads.

Came across these as well which arrived today so this will need to go on soon

Okay so nothing too exciting I know and will take some better pictures of the car soon in better weather.

I have some white interior led bulbs to replace the existing yellow, the heating vents as per above to do and wind deflectors to go on as well. Get the discs and pads on and a haldex service as well. I still get the evap code so will start with the n80 valve and take it from there

Future plans - well the aim is to get to K04 one day but need to enjoy what i have achieved so far in 2 weeks and let the butterflies fly around my wallet now.

If you have read this far, thanks for reading and i welcome all comments positive and negative including tips, advice etc

Abs

Reactions: LargeAudi, Jake 61 and mister.c.
Changed the number plate lights to led versions, nice and simple upgrade I must say. Also changed the n80 valve thanks to @TimWills28 for the handy video guide and cleared code. Hopefully it doesn't come back on again otherwise I'm guessing it's a charcoal canister replacement which I want to avoid for now.

The remap was done by FR&R tuning based in Bradford, West Yorkshire

You say you have had problems with past cars in regards to fuel pressure being too low. Can I ask you what the cause was?
Mine went in for a remap, but they couldn't do it for that very reason.

Excellent budget build thread mate. Lucky to find a 2006 Quattro for £3k. Keep up the good work.

If this is what you call a budget build thread then I must be a tramp :blownose:. We need some pics after all those mods are done!

Also, how did you know the diverter valve was the reason for your cars lacking of power?

Well-----it looks like it started as a budget build, whereby the OP just bought a cheap car with issues and fixed them all. He's now carried on and started spending his Mrs shoe money :yes:

Im now spending the kids inheritance.

Reactions: grainqey, Pinky1959, Scott_Crossley and 2 others
Well-----it looks like it started as a budget build, whereby the OP just bought a cheap car with issues and fixed them all. He's now carried on and started spending his Mrs shoe money :yes:

Im now spending the kids inheritance.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Seems very cheap at £3,000. Is it high mileage

Thanks for your comments, yeh main thing was to fix issues with car hence why it was a good price then I guess my hand slipped in my pocket plus it's Xmas and figured the most I would get from my wife is some cheap aftershave so thought i would treat myself.

If this is what you call a budget build thread then I must be a tramp :blownose:. We need some pics after all those mods are done!

Also, how did you know the diverter valve was the reason for your cars lacking of power?
I had an incline as I know they are pretty common to split and fail plus I had a diagnostics machine I took which said turbocharger sensor code error so I presumed it was this and was right

Update: brother fitted my front brakes, didn't attempt rear as I know how hard it can be so will take to garage when I get time, eml code came on for evap so I'm guessing next will be the charcoal canister but it doesn't effect drive/performance so will leave for now.

Car drives amazing and pulls like a train. Weathers been shocking recently so haven't again had a chance to take any photos. Okay it was my work Xmas party yesterday so feeling delicate so couldn't be bothered (and weather) - but watch this space
Seems very cheap at £3,000. Is it high mileage
i know I was well impressed with my haggling skills, it wasn't advertised as a quattro either, just chance I clicked on it because it said s line special edition and noticed the quattro badge and few pre checks confirmed quattro. Did hpi check - all clear plus the colour is quite unique as well. It does have 130k on clock but full audi service history so not bad at all

You say you have had problems with past cars in regards to fuel pressure being too low. Can I ask you what the cause was?
Mine went in for a remap, but they couldn't do it for that very reason.
Yeh my seat leon had the same problem and couldn't remap it either, I changed the fuel pump and sensor next to it on side and on fuel rail, changed fuel rail itself to new style to replace old banjo bolt. Can't remember what else I changed but it was definately an frustrating time for me and my wallet. All I can say is good luck with it and would be interested to know what was the issue if you solve it - start with sensors though first

Reactions: thesaint08
i know I was well impressed with my haggling skills, it wasn't advertised as a quattro either, just chance I clicked on it because it said s line special edition and noticed the quattro badge and few pre checks confirmed quattro. Did hpi check - all clear plus the colour is quite unique as well. It does have 130k on clock but full audi service history so not bad at all

You did well then for £3000. The mileage would have put me off but everything else does make it a good deal.

Right, so this morning was very cold and icy but didn't stop me changing a few things. I started with the heater vents:

I decided to fit the wind deflectors as well

Looking really nice, just read through the whole thread. Very interesting, keep us all updated as you keep progressing.

Looking really nice, just read through the whole thread. Very interesting, keep us all updated as you keep progressing.
Cheers Matt, appreciate the comments, I was browsing on eBay earlier at some s3 bi xenon headlights with bulbs and ballasts, then had to turn the app off - very tempting though

Reactions: DAE
Few minor mods today just before the visit to santas grotto.
Changed the number plate and had it in 3d carbon lettering and place it in the Audi quattro surround

I then also changed the interior lights to led white. Goes nice with the car colour I must admit

How much did thermostat and oil pickup pipe change cost if you don't mind me asking?
Also where did you get the nice number plate surround?

How much did thermostat and oil pickup pipe change cost if you don't mind me asking?
Also where did you get the nice number plate surround?

Thermostat from Audi costs approx £20-£30 IIRC. And the number plate surrounds you can get off eBay, I bought a pair for £20 not too long ago. Just type in Audi number plate surround on eBay and you'll see tonnes of different styles.

Banjo bolt fitting guide for fuel pump? Plzzz
Tbh, I would save the hassle and change your fuel line to the s3 style to get rid of the old banjo bolt, on my previous seat leon, it wouldn't go back on correctly for some reason and was spraying fuel. Managed to source a cheap fuel rail from an s3. With this car I was lucky it wasn't the banjo bolt.

Where did you get labour as low as £60 for a thermostat change? Lowest I've been quoted is £180!!!!

UPDATE:

Firstly let me say the January blues hit me hard and this weather has been unreal but I never let it stop me to an extent from any time with my bundle of joy. Enough of that

Right firstly I was sick of my poor halogen headlights. The previous owner had put some blue tint bulbs but brightness and vision was very poor.

I've been speaking with @t8ups (who is a top guy btw and highly recommend to all) to build me a set of projection bi xenon headlights and it started like this:

Trups kindly got the internal standard grey parts painted satin black

Ballasts and bulbs are all oem as well

And these are the results:

Also got the leaving and coming home feature installed with the repair wire

Once again, I'm thrilled with the results - brightness is amazing with the clear lens and I will take better pictures soon when it gets a little warmer. Here is the set up below and @t8ups thread of the project

headlights we converted to Xenon, parts used:
OEM Valeo 6G ballast with D2S bulb igniter
Philips 85122 D2S xenon bulbs
Morimoto Mini D2S projectors
Iris Shrouds
Osram 501 LED

Link -
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/headlight-retro-fit-work-picture-thread.256273/

SO now there's some brightness outside, I want to brighten things inside. I managed to source some s3 clocks and with the magic from @udi a3 known as Tom he managed to do the Immoboliser and mileage correction for me on my drive.

I love the needle sweep as well

Reactions: mister.c. and Mujnu
Next on the agenda was to upgrade the pedals to the chrome style. Brake and clutch were easy swap but the accelaration pedal took a little doing but with some added force, any things possible right.

My switch was the grey push style as appose to the red so a screwdriver was my best friend here

Okay now I managed to source a rnse and double din cage as this was always on the books to do a double din conversion so thanks to @BennyG_UK

Firstly to take a before picture of the lonely single din

Next to start stripping things starting with radio, followed by surround and the hazzard buttons etc, climate control pushes out.

Glove box was next and ashtray centre console arms etc. Now every morning especially when it's cold my heater blower always whistle and it's loud and annoying as well. I thought while glove box is out, now would be a good time to take the blower out to inspect:

You can see some leaves stuck in there and when I looked above a few more leaves. I sprayed some wd-40 just in the middle on the contact point where it spins (you can't see it on the pic above) so hoping this resolves it for now.

It was also a good time to get the old dyson out and give it s clean

Now came the fiddly part which was getting the single din cage out. This took some doing as the same time I'm trying to avoid scratching anything and helps when there's 2 of you as well.

Hello double din

Right now I made a coupe errors which I guess is all part of the trial and error we learn from. Firstly I connected the centre arms up then realised I hadn't connected the new climate control but this was me rushing as it was freezing and getting dark. Secondly I had forgot to turn off the passenger airbag before taking glove box out and then I had to turn key in ignition to test rnse which led to passenger airbag light on dash but I believe that's a vcds job to switch it off.

Also the black tray that follows on from the ash tray, wouldn't fit with the new double din but all you do is cut off the 2 clips in middle and then the two outer clips slots in to the double din so that way you can use the space behind still from the ash tray.

End results:

Pleased with the results and the sat Nav works fine. I mounted the gps by the fuse box and I get 5-7 satellites and its hidden so no problems.

Right now time to take a little break then I need to get my shocks and springs done which I'm most likely going down the bilstein b12 setup. I had a chance to go K04 in January but considering I have only owned the car for 3 months this was too early for me to go down this route not to mention i hadn't saved for it just yet.

Hope you guys like it but all feedback is appreciated good or bad (I can take it)

Oh here's a pic of when it snowed a few weeks ago as well

Abs

Very nice mods, the coming home lights don't need to stay grounded, you just tap the ground to active. @udi a3 is he on this site?

Very nice mods, the coming home lights don't need to stay grounded, you just tap the ground to active. @udi a3 is he on this site?
Yeh he's on the site - that's his actual username but have his number if you need it

Looks good buddy!
Thanks Benny for your advice again

Looks good! wouldn't mind a few of those mods myself (S3 clocks and bi-xenons)
Get it done - sad face when you pay for it - happy face when done

Sick man!!
Cheers Tim, how's your double din conversion getting along?

Reactions: grainqey
This was the snow yesterday here up north. Anyone else with a Quattro that experienced the snow have fun like me

Right, haven't posted for a while but I just wanted to get people's opinion on if I was to sell the car. Just thinking of a change so with all the work done to the car, what price would people expect to pay or is it worth selling some of the parts seperately:
What I've done to it to summarise:
  • Full miltek non res exhaust system
  • Remap to 255bhp with dyno map
  • S3 clock upgrade
  • Rnse (latest rev-gloss black) sat Nav
  • S3 pedals
  • Chrome heater vents found in 2009 models plus
  • Induction kit
  • Forge oil catch can kit
  • Divertver valve rev d
  • Oil pickup pipe change to newer rev
  • New thermostat
  • New battery, 4x brand new continental conti sport styres and 4 wheel alignment done by kwik fit
  • Privacy glass
  • Wind deflectors
  • Upgraded rear lights to new led style
  • Led number plate lights
  • Front headlights converted to projection lenses and hid factory bulbs done by trups who most people know on here
  • Full service history majority from Audi
  • Brakes changed to drilled and groove
  • Haldex service oil and filter
  • Poly bush upgrade on sub frame
The car itself is an Audi A3 2.0 TFSI S-Line special edition Quattro

Just curious to people's thoughts and interests

Thanks

I'd have said you wont gain any extra value from the majority of mods as they simply aren't regarded as actually adding anymore value unless you sold it on here for example and listed it as being a forum car, well looked after etc as most traders will simply offer you the book price.

I was looking at p/x'ing mine against something and the dealer wanted the mods leaving on but was offering me the same as webuyany car so off I walked!

Reactions: Mujnu
As you know Abs, I had real trouble shifting my old A3. People seem to want the newer facelift models.

I did however manage to swap it in the end for a imported 350z nismo with 83k on clock!